LG Tries to Block Sale of PS3s in Patent Litigation Dispute with Sony

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
LG Tries to Block Sale of PS3s in Patent Litigation Dispute with Sony

LG's patent complaints are believed to be retaliatory strike in what is turning into a rather bitter rivalry between the two electronics giants.

South Korean electronics firm LG has filed a number of complaints with the US International Trade Commission, claiming that Sony is infringing on several of its Blu-Ray patents with the PS3. LG is seeking to block sales of the console in the US, as well obtain financial compensation from Sony.

LG alleges that Sony has infringed on four patents with the PS3, including methods for dealing with multiple data streams, and a system of reproducing data stored on a read-only device. The ITC can't award LG any money, but it can bar products from sale in the US in the event that a manufacturer is found to be infringing on another company's patent. LG says that it sells products in the US that demonstrate at least one commercial application of each of the patents, citing the BD300 Blu-ray Disc player as an example. LG has also filed a number of civil suits against Sony in order to get the damages it's after.

Author and activist Florian Mueller believes [http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2011/02/lg-wants-playstation-3-banned-from.html] that this is retaliation for a complaint that Sony filed earlier in the year against LG, which said that the South Korean company was infringing on a number of Sony's patents with its smart phones. It's also not dissimilar to an ongoing case [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106425-Motorola-Taking-Microsoft-to-Task-Over-Patent-Infringement] involving Motorola and Microsoft, with the former trying to block sales of the Xbox 360.

It seems incredibly unlikely that LG will get the permanent injunction it's after. That's not because LG doesn't have a legitimate case - it very well may be entirely in the right - but because Sony isn't going to let one of its most successful consumer products get yanked from shelves. In the event that the ITC finds in favor of LG, Sony would almost certainly strike some kind of deal with its rival and go on selling the PS3.

Source: Bloomberg [http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-07/lg-files-patent-complaints-against-sony-over-tvs-playstations.html] via Edge [http://www.next-gen.biz/news/lg-seeks-us-ps3-ban]

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
wasalp said:
Patent whoring is starting to get really annoying.
Atleast its a revenge act because sony hurt them with Patent whoring. They're propably as annoyed by it as any other company that isn't purly profitting from it.
Atleast it wasn't the edge station :D

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
i'm starting to wonder if we're reaching the point in technological advancement where these sorts of patents just don't make sense anymore. the number of patent cases was just a little amusing at first, but now that all these big name companies are jumping on the bandwagon and suing the hell out of each other should kinda testify to the fact that while patents are great for protecting the little man in serious innovation and invention, when it comes to the more recent and more complicated technology, the processes are hardly innovative. in any case, you'd think these companies would be working together more in this sense, so everybody can be a winner on their own terms...

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
LG, and every other cell phone company, are not newcommers to the copyright courtrooms.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
I'm sorry, what? It's been how long since the PS3's been released? Isn't it kinda to little to late to start claiming Sony ripped them off?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Wait, apart from being a member of the Blu-ray Disc Association, exactly what has LG contributed to the format? Compared to Sony who started co-development with Pioneer back in 2000.

Patent trolls suck. Makes me feel bad that my family owns two LG tvs. Big ones too...

EDIT: Made a correction.

Adam Galli

Nov 26, 2010
KEM10 said:
LG, and every other cell phone company, are not newcommers to the copyright courtrooms.

And I thought Activision vs Infinity Ward was messed up and confusing....

Analogfantasies

May 18, 2008
Mornelithe said:
Unfortunately, seeing as I have no LG products, and that I do own a PS3, all this does is make me cross LG off of any future purchases I'll ever make.
So you don't condone LG's actions, but you condone Sony's previous actions which led to this?

dibblywibbles

Mar 20, 2009
I guess what it comes down to is I don't care. unless they're gonna break into my house and steal my ps3 this does not affect me. Though I would find it hilarious if they halted sales of ps3's because of this. I would have a no ps3 sales in america party. you're all invited those who have posted so far.

bossdirge

Jan 28, 2011
I just hope my Playstation 3 doesn't know it's video is being sent to an LG big screen.... I don't want my tv to start fighting my console and burn my house down while I am at work.