Blizzard Ransoms Diablo 3 Screens for Facebook Likes

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Blizzard Ransoms Diablo 3 Screens for Facebook Likes

Diablo [http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-III-Pc/dp/B00178630A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297180725&sr=8-1] fans with a jones for fresh art and screenshots can help get the process rolling by giving the game some love on Facebook.

It's been more than ten years since we last trekked across the lands of Sanctuary in World of Warcraft [http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-2-mac-PC/dp/B00002CF9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297180746&sr=8-1] counterpart.

"The Warcraft Facebook page [http://www.facebook.com/Warcraft] recently hit one million who 'like' it and rubbed it in our faces," it wrote on the Diablo Facebook page. "We know there are millions of Diablo players out there, and to take the fight back we have some incentives all lined up. Beginning at 550,000 'People Like This' of the Diablo Facebook page we'll post new art and screenshots, and for every 25,000 additional page 'likes' we receive after that up to 1million. Let's do this!"

It's a fairly simple proposition, with the obvious caveat that not everyone is a fan of Facebook, particularly hardcore gamers. Then again, as Battle.net [http://www.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/help-diablo-facebook-reach-1-million-likes-get-18-new-diablo-iii-updates], Blizzard's online gaming service. With numbers like that, a million "likes" shouldn't be be a big deal at all.

At last count, the Diablo Facebook page had just broken 545,000 likes, so there's still a way to go before Blizzard starts coming across with the goods. Pitch in and do your part at facebook.com/diablo [http://www.facebook.com/diablo].

twistedheat15

Sep 29, 2010
Fck a facebook likes. Crap is all over so many thing it's just sad... And fck a facebook in general, but I suppose it is a good way to get ppl all over your page, ya know ppl will tell friends and family to just go on the page and hit the like button, so they'll have extra advertising for just some screens. But if that overly buffed barbarian chick is the incentive, I'd be scared to see what they have hidden.

Edit: That pic is a girl right? Or is that some kinda barbarian nipple armor on a guys chest, I rly wouldn't put it past them.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
that's just hilarious, taking advantage of a social networking site. The most fun part is, you don't HAVE to do anything.

BTW, do your 'likes' show up on somebody elses page? That would be a very clever marketing campaign.

Agrael

Jul 16, 2009
Done. Liked it. I don't care what people think, but come on - this is awesome !

I've been waiting for Diablo 3 for ... well.. a long time, and screens would be nice...

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I'm not much of a Facebook user but I liked it too. I''m finally getting a little hot for D3. Just a bit at this point, but it's definitely started.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Meh, personally the idea of people earning the right to be spammed by advertising seems a bit ridiculous to me. At least DCUO bribed me with in-game items to go to their facebook page and that in of itself was pretty bad since I felt kind of ridiculous doing it.

If they want to do interactive advertising, at least do something like launch a proper ARG or some interactive websites like they did for the original Dead Space or Arkham Asylum. Facebook seems to be making companies lazy, I get little satisfaction or entertainment from "liking" or taking pictures off a facebook page, and screenshots are supposed to be something companies use to sell me on a game, not a reward.

I understand the hype for Diablo 3, but I'm one of those people who thought the last screenshots we saw were a bit too brightly colored and upbeat for the world in question. Diablo is one of the few games that SHOULD have the whole gray/black/more gray color
palette people make fun of. Their screenshots should be being distributed with the intent of selling either flagging fans like me on how the new "vibe" they want actually looks good and fits the world, now that they've polished it, or that they have recanted and gone more towards updating the style of the first two games.

Imper1um

May 21, 2008
Translating Blizzo-speak:
"Help, we cannot get Facebook likes the original way, (You know, the way of releasing a game in a relatively quick time span), so we'll provide art which cost us about $1,000 for $150,000 in free advertising."

Seriously, it's really insulting that they are holding this art "hostage" until they get enough likes. It's like the "Kotick Effect" is trickling down into every wake of Activision-Blizzard's Company.

Bobby Kotick: Be a jerk to your customers, it's the way to go!

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
twistedheat15 said:
But if that overly buffed barbarian chick is the incentive, I'd be scared to see what they have hidden.

Edit: That pic is a girl right? Or is that some kinda barbarian nipple armor on a guys chest, I rly wouldn't put it past them.
Overly buff? I think you've played too many high-fantasy games or watched too much anime where no matter how strong a girl is she looks like she has anorexia. Barbarians are born warriors, pure and simple and though I wouldn't say that a buff woman is overly attractive to me that looks pretty realistic (Other than showing a little much skin for a warrior, but I'm assuming it's to make differentiating with higher tiered armor easier.)

I also can't really believe you'd ask if it really was a woman, I've never seen a man with thighs like that :p

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Latinidiot said:
that's just hilarious, taking advantage of a social networking site. The most fun part is, you don't HAVE to do anything.

BTW, do your 'likes' show up on somebody elses page? That would be a very clever marketing campaign.
Yep. The team are marketing geniuses.

And to everyone complaining about it: Too bad. That's what they've decided to do, and that's how it's going to work.

Imper1um said:
Translating Blizzo-speak:
"Help, we cannot get Facebook likes the original way, (You know, the way of releasing a game in a relatively quick time span), so we'll provide art which cost us about $1,000 for $150,000 in free advertising."

Seriously, it's really insulting that they are holding this art "hostage" until they get enough likes. It's like the "Kotick Effect" is trickling down into every wake of Activision-Blizzard's Company.

Bobby Kotick: Be a jerk to your customers, it's the way to go!
That's a bit extreme. Withholding concept art (the stuff very few people really care about) is not being a jerk to your customers. They're doing this for fun. Wasn't it Bobby Kotick who wanted to take out the fun in making games?

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
twistedheat15 said:
That pic is a girl right? Or is that some kinda barbarian nipple armor on a guys chest, I rly wouldn't put it past them.
His name is Ragnar the invincible, cleaver of a thousand skulls. His only weakness his overly tender niplets. Wearing the wonder armour with extra support, he will never be killed!

twistedheat15

Sep 29, 2010
Actual said:
twistedheat15 said:
That pic is a girl right? Or is that some kinda barbarian nipple armor on a guys chest, I rly wouldn't put it past them.
His name is Ragnar the invincible, cleaver of a thousand skulls. His only weakness his overly tender niplets. Wearing the wonder armour with extra support, he will never be killed!
I can't wait till he goes up against Turtain the titty twister! It'll be a battle of epic proportions

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
I wish everyone who dislikes the whole facebook system would just stfu and hit the like button so we can get some more info/screens for D3 :\

Its not like you ever have to use facebook for anything else ever again.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
I'm not one for Facebook and especially "liking" anything or anyone, but Blizzard and especially Diablo has done me good over my life so why not?

My current "likes" are now Diablo, Pixar, Big Bang Theory, and CollegeHumor. Damn, feel like I'm turning into a Facebookie!

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
I'm not much of a Facebook user but I liked it too. I''m finally getting a little hot for D3. Just a bit at this point, but it's definitely started.
D3?

but the story was well closed in D2 with Laura finding the girl and escaping the-

oh wait, you're talking about Diablo 3...

fucking nostalgia messing with me, gotta get that damn game again

other than that, I feel kinda the same than you, I'm starting to get a bit of a 'warm' for Diablo 3 too

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
I don't even care, but I still added it. You can always, you know, un-add it anytime you like when they start releasing the good stuff, so there's no harm in it, is there?

Even if the game is below my interest, we might get some concept art out of it and I looooove me some sexy sexy concept art.