NBA 2K11's Full Court Press Nets Dividends

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
NBA 2K11's Full Court Press Nets Dividends

It may have been the lack of competition from EA Sports, but NBA 2K11 is 2K Sports' best-selling title ... ever.

Playing as Michael Jordan, following the basketball legend through the highlights of his career and giving players the chance to match him up against today's top ballers, was nothing short of brilliant. As a fan of the game, I enjoyed NBA 2K11's historical accuracy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8213-Review-NBA-2K11], as well as how expertly it translated a very physical game to pixels and controllers. The attention to detail paid off. In a conference call to investors this morning, Take Two Interactive announced that NBA 2K11 sold in (or shipped) over 4 million copies, which is more than any other 2K Sports game has ever sold.

"NBA 2K11 has now sold in nearly 4 million units since launching in early October, and has become the best-selling title in the history of both our basketball franchise and 2K Sports," said Strauss Zelnick, CEO of Take Two.

Of course, NBA 2K11's peak performance occurred in a year that saw its chief competitor EA Sports cancel its own basketball game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105523-EA-Cancelled-NBA-Elite-Was-Going-to-Be-a-Bad-Game], Elite 11, leaving the cartoony NBA Jam as the only possible rival in the market this year. But for fans that wanted a simulation rather than an arcade game, NBA 2K11 delivered in the clutch.

I wonder if 2K Sports will ride its basketball franchise's success and have 2K12 follow a different legend. I hear that #33 for the Celtics was quite a player, how 'bout a game following Larry Bird's unlikely career as the Hick from French Lick? Hey, another idea, what about a game that traces the rivalry between the Celtics and the Lakers, two teams that have met in the NBA Finals 12 times over 5 decades?

Seriously, 2K Sports should pay me to come up with stuff.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/08/nba-2k11-is-2k-sports-best-selling-game-ever/]

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
And it should be the best selling sports title ever in my opinion. I have nothing bad to say about the game. Even if I did Michael Jordan and classic Chicago Bulls would more than make up for it.

Ladette

Feb 4, 2011
I've never forgiven EA Sports for denying me another NFL 2k game. Great job on making an awesome game 2k Sports

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Nice. This is the best sports game ever, save the genesis/SNES versions of NBA Jam, so it is nice to see it get the respect it deserves.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
I haven't really noticed that this game even existed before now..

But now i REALLY want it!

Must finish Mass effect 2 first i think..

blippity

Apr 30, 2009
ImprovizoR said:
And it should be the best selling sports title ever in my opinion.
And mine too. Best sports game I've ever played and I don't think I'll get bored of it. Just have to spend more time playing as Jordan.

Dragonmaster3

Mar 30, 2010
I agree, this is a great game. "My Player" mode is fantastic, and very fun to play. Quick play against friends is a lot of fun, and the Jordan challenges are well done as well.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Everything I've heard makes me want to finally buy a sports game.

The demo for sports games always lack good tutorials, so I find them hard to get into.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

The demo for sports games always lack good tutorials, so I find them hard to get into.
2k11 is pretty tough to get into, because of a big control scheme, but for the people I know, it wasn't that bad. Very similar to certain fighting games; it is easy to get into, and you can do decent, but if you play against someone who really knows what they are doing in terms of dribbling/iso-motion you will get destroyed every time.
I'd recommend it, if for no other reason than because I'm from Chicago and MJ is amazing.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Radeonx said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

2k11 is pretty tough to get into, because of a big control scheme, but for the people I know, it wasn't that bad. Very similar to certain fighting games; it is easy to get into, and you can do decent, but if you play against someone who really knows what they are doing in terms of dribbling/iso-motion you will get destroyed every time.
I'd recommend it, if for no other reason than because I'm from Chicago and MJ is amazing.
The PSP version is $20...I can't say it'd hurt my wallet.

It's a well-reviewed handheld port, too.