Nathan Fillion Cast as Green Lantern (Sort Of)

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Nathan Fillion Cast as Green Lantern (Sort Of)

A new role for Firefly's Nathan Fillion gives him a little bit more geek cred.

Ever since Nathan Fillion jumped onto the scene in Joss Whedon's beloved various reasons [http://www.amazon.com/Firefly-Complete-Blu-ray-Nathan-Fillion/dp/B001EN71CW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297206749&sr=8-2] fans everywhere have been mentally casting him in movie and television roles across the board of geekdom. Finally, Fillion will be taking on a role that should make those fans happy. He's going to be the new Green Lantern, almost, as a voice actor in an upcoming animated film.

No, Fillion won't be taking Ryan Reynolds' spot in the live-action Green Lantern movie franchise [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105363-First-Official-Green-Lantern-Trailer-Falls-to-Earth], but he will be playing Hal Jordan in Green Lantern: Emerald Knights releasing on DVD June 7, 2011 from Warner Bros. Animation. That's almost as good, right?

Fans have wanted Fillion to play roles such as Nathan Drake in the Avengers movie [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100793-Will-Nathan-Fillion-Be-an-Avenger], for naught. Fillion's latest role might not be ideal, but I think it's a step in the correct direction. "Now I feel like I own a little piece of Green Lantern," he told TV Guide.

Now that Fillion has some sci-fi cred from Firefly, some videogame cred from voicing characters in Guy Gardner [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-3-ODST-Xbox-360/dp/B001HWB68K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297207831&sr=8-1] in Green Lantern 2.

Source: Blastr [http://www.tvguide.com/News/Exclusive-Look-Nathan-1028960.aspx]

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
He still has a long ways to go before dethroning Bruce Campbell. Still love him, but still a long ways to go...

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
New Troll said:
He still has a long ways to go before dethroning Bruce Campbell. Still love him, but still a long ways to go...
I don't think he'll dethrone Bruce, he'll just build a throne next to him.

Maybe a little bit lower than him.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
If he wants to play a super hero or pulpy character he needs to... hate to be a dick... buff up a bit. That's how hollywood works.

I've seen Castle he's getting a little "middle-agey"

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
Huh, I'm looking at that TV Guide right now. I've always been interested in Green Lantern, so I'll have to check this out.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I'm not sure how much of an accomplishment it is that I've managed to avoid exposure to Fillion, with the exception of various Escapist articles that seem to be all over his nuts him, so I'm having a hard time determining whether or not this is good news...

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
If they kick Ryan Reynolds of the live-action movie and put Nathan Fillion in the place, this would proof that the world is a fair place... Unfortunately the world is a cold *****.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
MrSnugglesworth said:
New Troll said:

Now, I want to see them team up in a movie.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
MrSnugglesworth said:
New Troll said:

FILMS FOR THE FILLION THRONE

Man, I don't even play Warhammer, I've been spending too much time here.

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
Scrythe said:
I'm not sure how much of an accomplishment it is that I've managed to avoid exposure to Fillion, with the exception of various Escapist articles that seem to be all over his nuts him, so I'm having a hard time determining whether or not this is good news...
Pretty much the same here. I don't understand the hype. He was alright in ODST, but didn't stand out as any kind of 'golden god of voice acting' or some shit.

Edit: Then again, I never really understood the Bruce Campbell or Chuck Norris hype, either.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
MrSnugglesworth said:
New Troll said:

...and made of sticks. With a sign behind it saying "Throne".

And sparkles on the sign.

Ben Simon

Aug 23, 2010
Damn you, Reynolds... we almost potentially had an actor likely better suited for the role than you.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
SpiderJerusalem said:
New Troll said:
I don't see how dethroning Bruce would be hard, after all, Fillion can ACT.

That is said with all the love for Bruce and Evil Dead, but Fillion isn't just a cult fixture because of three films from almost thirty years ago - he's arguably got the best roles still ahead if this keeps up, and Castle is winning new fans every day.

Ah, Castle. *swoons*
When I think of Bruce, I almost never think about the Evil Dead Trilogy. First comes The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. which would be on an equal level with Firefly if not for it living out WAY past it's prime. Then I think of Burn Notice which is one of only like five shows I actually watch, Castle being another. (Ah, Sam. *swoons*) Then I think about all those moments of geekdom that makes him the cult master he is. Spiderman being one of my favorites.

Yeah, Fillion had his day in Buffy, and I will never forget about Slither, but he's still got a long ways to go...

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
Nova5 said:
Edit: Then again, I never really understood the Bruce Campbell or Chuck Norris hype, either.
The Chuck Norris hype bugs me. It's like people didn't realize that website was making fun of him.