Man Arrested After Hooking Up With 13-Year-Old RuneScape Bride

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Man Arrested After Hooking Up With 13-Year-Old RuneScape Bride

No, it turns out that marrying a 13-year-old in RuneScape doesn't make it legal to have marital relations with her.

Relationships that start in MMOs and carry over into the real world aren't all that uncommon these days; that said, it's a bit more uncommon when they result in felony charges. 54-year-old John W. Phillips of Fitchburg, Massachusetts, is probably regretting ever signing up for RuneScape, as he's now being charged with a total of eleven felonies, including accosting a child for immoral purposes, sexual assault, using a computer to communicate with another person to commit a crime, and child sexually abusive activity.

Phillips, whose "only source of income comes from selling Magic: The Gathering game cards, " is currently in jail on charges that he traveled to Detroit three different times last year to have sex with a 13-year-old girl whom he met and wed in the MMO. According to Wayne County Sheriff Benny Napoleon, Phillips and the girl met in-game in 2010. The two then built a relationship via online chat.

Phillips apparently tried (unsuccessfully) to mail her a cell phone, so he came to Detroit to deliver the phone in person last February. The two had sex in a motel, though charges state that Phillips also had sex with her in his van and at her home. At some point, the two wed in RuneScape.

"They got married in the game," said sheriff's corporal Ray Johnson. "Maybe he thought that was legitimate in real life. It's not."

Authorities were alerted about the situation when the girl's mother (who "[works] two or three jobs and wasn't home for extended periods of time") found her daughter text-messaging on the phone Phillips had given her - highly suspicious since the girl wasn't supposed to have a phone.

Phillips led the authorities on a chase, eluding capture by visiting his father in New York and drastically altering his appearance. When he was arrested, he fought extradition from New York to Michigan without success; he was arraigned on January 13 and pretrial hearings starts this Thursday.

I've reported on this kind of situation often enough over the past few months that I shouldn't have to mention my personal feelings on the matter or just what a scumbag Phillips I believe this man to be. From the sound of the charges, he'll hopefully be going to be in jail for quite some time.

Source: <a href=http://www.detnews.com/article/20110208/METRO01/102080398/Man-accused-of-having-sex-with-Detroit-girl-he-wed-in-video-game>The Detroit News via <a href=http://spong.com/gateway?Runescape+Wedding+Results+in+Under-Age+Sex+Trial//article/23758/Runescape-Wedding-Results-in-Under-Age-Sex-Trial>Spong

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
well its good to see a return of the stamp and its so applicable here it also seems mandatory.
im am literally no-longer shocked and the pure bat-shit insane people out there.
hope this guy really suffers for this the sick-fuck.

i fear the news now my try to blame pedophillia on games now. well it was only a matter of time regardless

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
That is absolutely disgusting.

I mean, people still play Runescape?

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I dunno whether to be terrified or amused - this means I need to be careful next time I go party-hopping in Vindictus lest my character suddenly ends up the bride of some greasy, random-ass 60-year-old.

Though I might get some nice presents myself. Could always use another (hopefully better) phone.

Apr 28, 2008
Just feel I should point this out: This isn't pedophilia, its hebephilia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebephilia].

That being said, it still doesn't change the fact he's a scumbag who'll hopefully get what he deserves.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
This is extremely dumb...
But I have to give him credit for his flight from the police. Most criminals of lesser crimes just sit around and get caught, this guy tried going action movie on us.

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
Daemascus said:
Who wants to bet video games will get blamed for thIs some how?
But at least it won't be about violence! Good thing he didn't go on a killing rampage with the girl!

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Oh god, what shocks me most is that they had sex before, and the girl continued to do...stuff...with him....blugh... The poor girl probably didn't know any better. The hell is wrong with the world? Can't go two days without something like this happening...

Islandboy2

Dec 17, 2010
OMFG can i nominate this guy for the darwin awards. Please say this guy didn't honestly believe he was in the right....I love stupid people either way.

Counter_Southpaw

Apr 20, 2010
Lol I married people in RuneScape too.

I was 13 though. The girls made me buy them armor and diamond rings too. Waste of my precious GPs.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Why would you consent? Why would you play runescape at 53? So many questions.