Motion Controls Are the Future of Shooters, Says Killzone 3 Dev

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Motion Controls Are the Future of Shooters, Says Killzone 3 Dev

You might turn more slowly with motion controls, but according to one of the principal programmers for Killzone 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Killzone-3-Playstation/dp/B002I0K6DG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297252130&sr=8-1], the extra accuracy more than makes up for it.

Guerrilla Games programmer Tommy De Roos, who was responsible for implementing Move controls in Killzone 3, thinks that in time, pointing at the screen will replace the traditional controller as the input method of choice for FPS games.

De Roos thought that hardcore gamers were coming round to the idea of motion controls. He said that many core gamers had been reluctant at first, but he found that people who had tried the motion controls on the PS3 were surprised at how well they worked and how much they added to games. De Roos admitted that using motion controls did mean some loss of accuracy while rotating, but said that the accuracy boost in the rest of the game more than made up for it.

He wasn't about to get ahead of himself, however, as he acknowledged that it is still very early days for motion controls. He said that Nintendo had done a lot of research into the idea, and that Sony was starting to do the same. He was confident, however, that in a few years time, all FPS games would use motion controls, and specifically a pointing controller like the Move.

De Roos seems to be talking about console FPS games, rather than FPS games in general; it's hard to see PC gamers giving up their mice and keyboards for something that does pretty much the same job, only less well. It's entirely possible that De Roos is right, and that console gamers will one day embrace motion controls for shooters, but it seems like that day is a long way away. That's not because that there's anything wrong with motion controls, but it seems like it will be hard work getting millions of gamers to shell out for a motion controller when they have a perfectly good, regular controller already. If the next generation of consoles comes with both regular and motion controllers in the box, however, it will be interesting to see which one people favor.

Killzone 3 comes out for PS3 on February 22nd.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/287788/news/killzone-3-dev-most-fps-games-will-be-played-with-motion-control-in-a-few-years/]

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
Myehh I dont think so, im willing to give motion controls a try for FPSs but I know ill end up going back to using the controller.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Light guns were also the future... a really fucking inconvenient future, just like the touchscreen/3D future everyone seems to be so retarded about.

Kwaren

Jul 10, 2009
It looks like I will start playing less and less FPS's as they incorporate motion controls.

Piflik

Feb 25, 2010
When will developers realize that motion controls are a step backwards and gimmicky at best...

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
I just read this as:

"Please, please, PLEASE go buy move! We don't want to have wasted out time adding compatibility for it to KZ3 when we could have been doing useful things!"

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Give me a motion controller that is as accurate for aiming as my mouse and I will agree with you. Until then the jury is very definitely still out and my mouse is nowhere near being binned.

I would be less bashing if the guy acknowledged that they are the future, but first they need to overcome the current issues of accuracy and latency. Reading the linked article, He is not talking about some future gen of motion controls, but the current gen. That means he is pretty deluded. The tech is just not there yet.

But maybe vs joypads. Joypads for FPS yuck....

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
Guys, guys, why so negative? Let's at least give these motion controls a chance before bashing them to hell.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I am sorry but no. For what motion controls are today in no way they can replace what we have now (K+M and the typical controller).

Only when we get true Virtual Reality or something like this, where the players brain does the characters motion. Also a bit like that movie "Surrogates".

Yeah, I know, its a lot of sci-fi stuff but I would like to see a true Virtual Reality system in the future

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Ever since I played resident evil on wii I've been sold on motion controls.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
soo, a programmer creating a rather generic game came out with a rather generic speech. consequence I think not!

Epitome

Jul 17, 2009
You know why I like my controller, cause I can relax with it. I play my consoles when I come home after a day of college or work or whatever and I just want to sit down and vegitate infront of my tv for a couple of hours. I dont wanna come home and start fucking about lobbing grenades with overarm swings etc, I cant see the motion controls being anything more than overpowered light guns which were always amusing but pain in the ass to use.

When I can plug into the machine and use thought to control my char's we will talk, till then Ill stick with the old KISS method. Keep It Simple Stupid!

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
I have to agree on his points in some regards; I have played Wii FPS games, and while they annoy the crap out of me at times because they force me to play right-handed in an awkard way. (It doesn't matter with a traditional controller, and with a PC, I can put the mouse wherever I like, and it has no direct impact on gameplay. But the 'point at screen' mechanic motion controls use suddenly mean using a different hand to what's shown on-screen becomes very irritating, if not almost impossible.)

It definitely won't replace mouse & keyboard, but compared to a game controller, it is a lot more accurate and intuitive in some ways. (And also hellishly annoying in others; I really don't find the whole 'point off the edge of the screen idea at all pleasant. Personally, I'd want a way to turn around independently of where I'm pointing the controller; Being able to shoot at things you're not actually looking at would be a fun, if not hugely useful bonus.)

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Oh God... Im I going to turn inot that old man that yells at the kids and their new-fangled toys, remembering the old days, before turning 30?

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
I'll be interested to see the statistics of how many online players are using Move instead of the controller, and also how well those using Move will do.

I think that they probably put the Move controls AND the 3D in under pressure from Sony, but I think it is a mistake (or even a bad MOVE. HAH!)

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I've been saying this for years.

The IR pointer aiming for the Wii, as well as the Move for the PS3, are the next best way to aim after the mouse. So they're basically the best way to aim for consoles.

This, of course, assumes that the developers are competent enough to not make a Red Steel, though.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
At first I thought to myself, "Motion controls on Killzone? But that isn't on the Xbox 360". Then I realized that I completely forgot that the PS3 has it's own motion control gimmick, and I own a PS3 myself.

Then I amused myself by trying to figure out just how exactly one can pull off a fast-paced FPS with a Kinect.

lobster1077

Feb 7, 2011
So first person shooters will apparantly go back to utilising peripherals like the light gun in time crisis?, judging by how tacked on move is in games it'll be a fad at best I reckon

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
The Wii has been out 4 years now, they've had their chance. Motion controls are amazing for survival horror but a bit pants for FPS. More accurate aiming doesn't even begin to compensate for slower, fiddlier movement and turning. The controller is the most fun for playing an fps casually, the mouse is the most effective method for competitive gaming and motion controls belong in other genres.