Critics Knock the Web Fluid Out of Spider-Man Musical

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Critics Knock the Web Fluid Out of Spider-Man Musical

Spider-Man's theatrical debut is apparently one of the worst musicals ever made.

The accident-prone and oft-delayed Spider-Man musical, Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark, may be the most expensive show ever to hit Broadway, but that hasn't saved it from a critical mauling. Theater critics seemed to dislike the show so much that they broke with tradition and published their reviews ahead of the show's opening in March.

Some critics felt that the show was incredibly inconsistent, with flashes of brilliance rubbing shoulders with absolute dross. The New York [http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/02/stage_dive_scott_brown_on_spid.html] magazine described the show as "ridiculously slick, shockingly clumsy, unmistakably monomaniacal and clinically bipolar," while the New York Post [http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/theater/can_spidey_fly_Ffjh0U3pNKdtA7ntLtYyaN#ixzz1DMzWnQZk] called it "equal parts exciting and atrocious." Unfortunately - for the production at least - other critics were less impressed. The Washington Post [http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/07/AR2011020704088.html] summed up its feelings with a sound bite worthy of its own t-shirt, saying, "If you're going to spend $65 million and not end up with the best musical of all time, I suppose there's a perverse distinction in being one of the worst."

Rick Miramontez, a spokesperson for the production, said the decision by critics to publish their reviews early was "unprecedented and UNCOOL[sic]." It's worth mentioning, however, that the date that many of the reviews went up, February 7th, was actually when the show was supposed to open, before the most recent delay. It's not clear what effect these reviews will have on the production though, as previews of the show are selling out, and even overtaking established - not to mention finished shows - like Wicked. As strange as it seems, Turn Off the Dark may turn into the Transformers of Broadway: a production that critics hate, but audience love.

Source: CBR [http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2011/02/big-budget-spider-man-musical-turns-off-the-critics/]

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Lies - audiences didn't like Transformers.

Anyway, critic opinion = meh. Would rather see it and make up my own mind, but since I live a long way away from Broadway I guess I'll just have to abstain. I'm not going to say it sucks if I haven't seen it with my own eyes though.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
As strange as it seems, Turn Off the Dark may turn into the Transformers of Broadway: a production that critics hate, but audience love.
and that is absolutely the only thing that matters.

Though i stand with
Lois: Oh, my God! They liked it? Stop it! Stop clapping right now! What's wrong with you? These people shouldn't be encouraged! They should be punished! That man has committed murder here this evening, and the victim's name is "theater." This is the kind of mind-numbing schlock that's turning our society into a cultural wasteland! This isn't art! This isn't even entertainment! This...blows!
at the end of "The King is Dead" episode of Family Guy.

Rainchild7

Aug 27, 2009
BonsaiK said:

Anyway, critic opinion = meh. Would rather see it and make up my own mind, but since I live a long way away from Broadway I guess I'll just have to abstain. I'm not going to say it sucks if I haven't seen it with my own eyes though.
Movie audiences usually vote with their money. Critics might have not liked the Transformers movie but the $700 million dollars the movie made says audiences loved it. Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers_%28film%29
The Spiderman Broadway from the get go sounded like a disaster waiting to happen. I can't say it was right for the critics to have bashed the show this early even with the delays, but their verdict would have been the same either.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Actually, going to see the worst show of all time?

They may have just doubled their figures.
I'm certainly more interested in seeing it now. Before, it just seemed boring but with cool stunts. But if it's absolutely horrible with cool stunts, well that's a lot more entertaining!

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
BonsaiK said:
I think it'd be more accurate to say that fans didn't like Transformers, but people who liked explosions and giant robots in general, did.

Admittedly this may be some clever marketing ploy to get people to watch it, I want to see it now just out of curiosity.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Legion said:

Admittedly this may be some clever marketing ploy to get people to watch it, I want to see it now just out of curiosity.
Damnit, that's exactly what they're counting on. If somebody makes something terrible, they shouldn't be encouraged by financial reward.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Dorkmaster Flek said:
Legion said:

Damnit, that's exactly what they're counting on. If somebody makes something terrible, they shouldn't be encouraged by financial reward.
Well to be fair I live in England. I am not about to pay for a plane ticket etc. to go all the way to see it.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I rub my hands in anticipation of the impending critical firestorm when the actual musical opens.

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
Transformers, worst movie I ever saw in theaters (and I saw the Super Mario Brothers movie on my ninth birthday in theaters and I was dragged to Clash of the Titans 2010). I was dragged by a friend and they got my money. I can't believe my dollars supported that junk.

Jamieson00

Feb 9, 2011
I don't understand why they are having such crazy problems. I saw Peter Pan last summer at the Stratford Festival and they had people flying around all over the place no problem! and I'm pretty sure it didn't cost them $65 mill.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
It's the NASCAR effect, people go to watch for a crash. They just want to see someone get hurt.