Deus Ex Scribe Says Gameplay Trumps Story

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Deus Ex Scribe Says Gameplay Trumps Story

Story in games is really important but if the writer of Deus Ex: Human Revolution had to choose one or the other, she'd pick game mechanics.

Writers are a strange bunch. Most of them have a fairly elevated sense of their own worth (ahem) and will often claim that a piece of art failed in the conception (or writing) stage rather than in execution. Mary DeMarle holds the greatest title for a game writer that I've ever heard - she's the narrative director of the Deus Ex reboot from Eidos Montreal - but she is not your typical "me-first" writer. DeMarle doesn't want to separate the game from the game writing but, if forced, she said that mechanics are more important and must inform the story for a game to succeed.

"Obviously as someone who creates stories in games, I think story is very important," said DeMarle. "When I get the question, 'What's more important - gameplay or story?' my answer, surprisingly, is the gameplay. When you're playing a game, the gameplay is creating that story, and the experience that's coming out of it is the gameplay. If we tend to think of them as two separate elements, we're never going to succeed."

According to DeMarle, the best games blend the two disparate elements into one cohesive whole. "If [the story] is making use of the gameplay, and recognizing gameplay as one of the elements for conveying the story, then you build a really powerful experience. The story gives you an emotional attachment, a reason to understand your motive, and it allows you to immerse yourself in this thing that's not a part of your life."

DeMarle didn't speak specifically of Deus Ex but she said that she is excited about the direction that the industry is moving. "We're developing as an industry and as medium, and as we develop we're starting to really get into understanding how to better tell stories in games."

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is due out in March 2011, but now specific date has been set.

Source: Videogamer [http://www.videogamer.com/news/gameplay_more_important_than_story_says_deus_ex_scribe.html]

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
I feel like I'm one of the few people who agree with that, on this site atleast.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Oh really? Well, this is such a revelation, stop the presses dammit! Preach to the choir some more!

It's good that she understands that story and gameplay do not have to be completely separate entities. Narrative and stories in games won't go forward until we can manage to merge it together with other aspects of the game.

Story, in my humble opinion, can easily make up for gameplay if it is done right. If the gameplay sucks, but the story is incredibly intriguing, I would probably deal with it and keep going for the story. Of course, great gameplay with a great story is never a bad thing.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Tell you what Ms. DeMarle: How about instead of picking one or the other, you pick both? Everybody wins!

Apr 28, 2008
Agreed. There's a reason I found Bioshock to be rather "meh", and it wasn't the story.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Pay attention to Ms. DeMarle, Mr. Kojima.

The story needs to be part of the gameplay, and not hour-long cutscenes or phone calls.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Grey_Focks said:
I feel like I'm one of the few people who agree with that, on this site atleast.
I agree with her as well. A good story can make a good game a great one, but if the game isn't fun to begin with it doesn't matter that there's a good story buried in there. It's rare to find a game pulled down by its story, a bland story may leave a game feeling a bit shallow but if it's fun to play it's fun to play.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
I've never cared about a single video game story I've ever been forced to choke down as I played a game. Not one. They're meaningless fluff and a waste of time in my opinion. A game can be completely non-sensical and be a blast to play. Because they're supposed to be played, not watched or listened to.

Is watching someone else play a video game as fun as playing it yourself? No. Then why is it fun to watch an NPC play your game for you? I always feel like someone just grabbed the controller out of my hand with these current generation games, everytime a cutscene occurs. It's like they're trying to blend television with gaming. I don't want to watch a movie dammit, I'm here to do things -myself-. If I wanted to watch someone else talk or think for themselves, I'd go turn on the TV.

I like to make my own story, which is probably why I like Bethesda's games more than any other. If someone is boring me with their life story, I can just run past them (or kill them hehe :D).

This is one reason why I was SO disappointed with Mass Effect. I thought we were finally being given a dynamic world where NPCs were (somewhat) intelligent and could be conversed with like real people. Instead we got scripted robotic dummies and terribly long cutscenes watching Shepard be the hero. Not us, but an NPC. Boring.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
I'm with her. If the game is broken no amount of story is gonna save that! unless your company is named Obsidian.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
I definitely agree. There's no point having the best story in the world if the gameplay itself is so awful you quit before you have chance to see it, or if 90% of the game is cutscenes, might as well have made a film.
The Gentleman said:
Tell you what Ms. DeMarle: How about instead of picking one or the other, you pick both? Everybody wins!
And this.

Zarmi

Jul 16, 2010
Gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Story

That's simple. Anyone who claim anything else forgot what gaming is about.

UnSub

Sep 3, 2003
Very true. I'll play through a fun game with a weak story over a weak game with a strong story.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I really hope this doesn't turn into Square-Enix's new brand of storytelling. I'm not a huge fan of having my hand held and gently walked down the story.

This is completely unrelated to the article, but I just discovered this on accidnet. If you open up this article and the one next to it (More Gears of War Kinect Rumors Leave Cover), hold the Ctrl key and rapidly push 1 and 2, it looks like Marcus Fenix is getting stabbed in the face by Adam Jensen.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
It's been brought up a few times before (for me most recently by the Extra Credits guys), and tabletop RPG players have struggled with it for decades, but gameplay and narrative should reinforce each other. Because so many games revolve around combat, the main characters end up being mass-murderers regardless how they're portrayed in cutscenes. Or thanks to Cutscene Incompetence [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CutsceneIncompetence], the player avatar falls into traps and ambushes the player (and probably the character, given that most of them are written as veterans or experts in their field) could see coming miles away.

If a studio wants to emphasize gameplay over story, that's great. But then the story should reflect the realities of the world the game mechanics have created, not exist apart from it.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
I've always felt this way. I can't even enjoy a good story in a game if the gameplay is terrible, since I'm way too frustrated with the gameplay to pay the story much mind. In my opinion, there is no excuse in the world for bad gameplay, the part of a game that defines it as such, and if it can't at least be functional (ala HL2) it has failed fundamentally and is by default bad. If the developer really had such disregard for how the game played, why didn't they just throw the gameplay out entirely and make a movie instead? That way you'd get the same enjoyable story, but you wouldn't have to slog through hell to see it. I'm not saying games shouldn't have good stories. By all means, include them, they can't make the game worse, but be sure the gameplay coexists and compliments it well. Never sacrifice the gameplay for the plot (other people have said that last part better, so read theirs to get a better idea of what I mean).

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is due out in March 2011, but now specific date has been set.
From the context I'm fairly certain this was meant to say "no", and not "now", but something is definitely wrong with the sentence either way.