Duke Nukem Forever Hands-On

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Duke Nukem Forever Hands-On

Down and dirty with the Duke in Sin City.

Read Full Article

maantren

Jan 16, 2008
Great preview, thank you for sharing. I've been waiting for this game my entire adult life - Duke Nukem 3D came out when I was in high school. Not long now!

If only they'd do the same for Blood...

Cheers

Colin

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
I'd still hit it.

As much as I've been one to use it as the vaporware trope of our time, I'm looking forward to seeing what the final product has in story... finally.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Seems to be shaping up rather well. We will see what happens when the game actually comes out later this year (I still can't believe I am saying that). Looks like it could resurrect the Duke Nukem franchise if it does well.

awesomeClaw

Aug 17, 2009
Ego meter.

That just screams pure win.

Pure win. Duke nukem forever.

I´m still baffled.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
I wonder if they didn't add some kind of last-minute nod to Yahtzee's "review [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/748-Duke-Nukem-Forever]" of the game last year...

Perhaps a line added to the effect of "What is this, making ravioli on the moon? How the hell did that happen?"

Also: Nice, Gearbox, acknowledging Duke's book from Duke Nukem 2, "Why I'm So Great". Nice.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
That sounds awesome. It's utterly ridiculous, and has some interesting ideas. Ego meter would suit the mood of the game so well.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
awesomeClaw said:
Ego meter.

That just screams pure win.

Pure win. Duke nukem forever.

I´m still baffled.
Ninja'd^

I like the sound of these nymphomaniac twins....

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I'm looking forward to this.

As long as don't expect too much from it, I'm sure it will be worth the price.

Besides, The Duke is awesome!

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
fenrizz said:
As long as don't expect too much from it, I'm sure it will be worth the price.
This is the point where I think it might fall apart for some people. Gearbox and 2K are firm in their belief that this game is not competing with Call of Duty, but I'm not sure the market sees it the same way. 12 years of anticipation is a lot to overcome.

Conner42

Jul 29, 2009
Ha, since this game has been taking soooo incredibly long, I feel like it's one of those games where have to "put our views on this game in perspective" I hope not, but it's probably going to be that way. Even then, I'm still excited about this game. I mean, it looks different from all the other shooters, and I remember someone once saying that they hope it kills the generic first person shooter trend. Well, if it does, it's probably going to create a new one. It use to be like "let's be like Halo" to "let's be like CoD" Even if it doesn't, it'd be nice just for one gasp of fresh air if this game is really all it's cracked up to be.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
That ego meter thing sounds hilarious. Imagine that - instead of healing up using a medkit, you admire your body in a mirror. Ha! ^^

Moeez

May 28, 2009
I've never played the Duke games, but I've been able to admire the style and humour. Since I have no investment into the franchise, it's just a wait-and-see approach but those little parts of interactivity are what I love in other FPSs like THE DARKNESS, HALF LIFE 2, PREY, and DEUS EX.

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
I am SO getting this.
This and KZ3 are the only two shooters this year needs

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
maantren said:
If only they'd do the same for Blood...
THIS, Goddammit!!!

Steve Butts said:
This is the point where I think it might fall apart for some people. Gearbox and 2K are firm in their belief that this game is not competing with Call of Duty, but I'm not sure the market sees it the same way. 12 years of anticipation is a lot to overcome.
Your own post just pointed out the main reason why this wouldn't be so. To those not in the know about this game, they'll just think its an over-the-top Serious Sam-type shooter (which is ironic considering that SS is the clone of Duke.) To those who do know about the 12-year wait, they'll also know that this isn't Call of Duty and was never meant to be.

Also, I have to say that the "Ego meter" beats the hell out of kicking over hydrants and breaking urinals to drink from, which is usually what I ended up doing to "top up."

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I only read some of the first page because I didn't want it to spoil anything, but I am definitely getting this game.

Optimystic said:
Your own post just pointed out the main reason why this wouldn't be so. To those not in the know about this game, they'll just think its an over-the-top Serious Sam-type shooter
I doubt that. If they don't know about Duke Nukem, then they probably don't know about Serious Same either. They'll probably just think it is some immature shooter game that sucks because it isn't Call of Duty realistic. And if I see one person say it's a Halo clone because the enemies are aliens, I'm going to hunt them down.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Been mostly meh about this due to excessive hype for what was an okay FPS propped up by goofiness.

That said, the ego shield got a grin out of me. Full credit for cleverness there, Gearbox.

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
Finding myself less and less skeptical about this but still reserving judgement till I have and actual copy in my PS3 and a controller in my hand to play it with.
Looking forward to mini-Duke in and RC car, though.