Robot Shocks Coffee Shop Patrons With Pastry Order

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Robot Shocks Coffee Shop Patrons With Pastry Order

A robotic avatar was caught on video ordering a sugary snack for its master.

Wouldn't it be weird if you were on the way to work, trying to get a cup of coffee for a pick-me-up, and a robot wheeled up next to you and ordered a scone? That's exactly what was recently caught on video in Mountain View, CA.

Apparently, photographer Aaron Blumenshine was getting lunch when he noticed a robot rolling down the street. He popped out his camera and filmed it as it entered a local coffee shop.

The robot acted like any other normal human being would, waiting in the line to place its order. The barista informed the robot of the scone flavors the coffee shop carried, it ordered one with a $5 bill attached to its head, gave the barista a $2.75 tip, and carried the scone away in a bag. As the coffee shop patrons filmed and took pictures, the robot said: "I didn't know there'd be so much paparazzi in this coffee shop!"

The robot was not a VGO like the one used by an unhealthy boy Anybots, Inc [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107576-Unhealthy-Boy-Uses-Robotic-Avatar-to-Attend-School] as a robotic avatar meant for these kinds of tasks.

These robots aren't the autonomous world-destroyers we'll hopefully never encounter, but it's still a little weird to see one on the streets. It'll be even weirder when Anybots or other similar robotic models become bipedal and start expanding their abilities past ordering pastries.

Source: Technabob [http://aaronblumenshine.wordpress.com/2011/02/05/robot-orders-a-scone-in-mountain-view-ca/]

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
It should have started randomly firing its laser at the patrons.

Whaddya mean "It doesn't have lasers"?

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
So NOT set up (/sarcasm)....but still cool. I used to think of doing that with a programmable remote control car....lol. Used to bring notes to people like that.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
First our scones, THEN THE WORLD!

In all seriousness, that's awesome. I want one.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
So it's basically a segway with a 3D webcam (so as to perceive depth) controlled by remote? I want to understand this thing so it may find me useful and enslave me as opposed to killing me and using my greasy innards for lubricant. All hail our new, scone-eating overlords!

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
"It's ghouls I tell ya. Religious ghouls in rockets looking for a land to call their own. Dont you laugh at me!"

Im not sure why that quote came to mind while watching the vid.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
That was pretty cool, although I can't say I wasn't disappointed with the fact it didn't have the typical microsoft Sam voice to modulate his. It would have been hilarious.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Wow, that made my Rovio look like a childish piece of garbage. I think I have robot envy.

Meh, at least that robot is well-designed. It clearly has good taste in pastries.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Fronzel said:
Damn, I was hoping it'd have a stereotypical robot voice.
So was I. But still...I want one, NAO. Never leave the house again.

EDIT: Actually, I want at least five, all at different locations. I'm at 6 different places at the same time! Godlike.

EDIT #2:
Does anyone know the price of one?

Schreck157

Apr 14, 2009
Was the bot being remotely controlled by it's master or was it programmed to speak and interact the way it did?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
He should have covered the camera on his side, that way it would be much cooler.

"I am a robot and this is my favourite scone on the Coffee Shop"

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Awesomeness aside; was it just me, or did that picture on the little screen remind anyone else of Frasier?

luckycharms8282 said:
"It's ghouls I tell ya. Religious ghouls in rockets looking for a land to call their own. Dont you laugh at me!"

Im not sure why that quote came to mind while watching the vid.
I totally read that in his voice.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Randomly meeting a robot in a coffee shop: that's the kind of thing that makes you smile and say "Today was special." And I too get the feeling this will become the norm in a few years, although I can't help but wonder about the lazy people who will abuse the convenience of it somehow.