Original Tron Movie Finally Available Again

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Original Tron Movie Finally Available Again

Disney has once again released the original Tron film with a host of extra features.

When supplies of the original Tron movie had dried up before the theatrical release of Tron: Legacy [http://www.amazon.com/Tron-Five-Disc-Blu-ray-Digital-Original/dp/B004K4N64E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297288740&sr=8-1], rumors abounded over Disney's reasoning. I have good news: It's back up for sale again.

Amazon now has a listing for Disney's new Blu-ray release of DVD release [http://www.amazon.com/Tron-Original-Classic-Two-Disc-Blu-ray/dp/B004KPLVW2/ref=sr_1_8?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1297288551&sr=1-8]. The film has a brand new cover primarily in black and blue featuring Tron about to throw his virtual discus at your face.

The re-release includes a ton of extras according to its listing. There's audio commentary from the director, producer, and visual effects supervisors, making of interviews with the actors, a look at the film's development and how digital imagery was handled, a feature on Tron's music, deleted scenes, a talk about lightcycle design, concept art galleries, and evidently a version of Space Paranoids that might be playable (but this isn't 100% confirmed by the listing). The Blu-ray version adds a Photo "Tronology" with director Steven Lisberger and his son Carl Lisberger as they go through Disney's photo library and share personal memories and stories.

There isn't a release date yet for Tron: The Original Classic, but it can be pre-ordered. If you also want a copy of Tron: Legacy, there's a massive 5-disc bundle [http://www.amazon.com/Tron-Five-Disc-Blu-ray-Digital-Original/dp/B004K4N64E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297288740&sr=8-1] that includes The Original Classic and Legacy on Blu-ray in one blue box.

When I heard of the Tron shortage, it made me sweat considering my VHS version of the film is probably deteriorated by now, and I probably would have been too lazy to ever hook up a VCR anyway. It'll be interesting to see how a film known for innovative CGI in the 1980s looks on an HD television through the glory of Blu-ray.

Source: Bleeding Cool [http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/02/08/original-tron-finally-confirmed-for-standalone-blu-ray-release-nostalgics-sigh-with-relief/]

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
I never understood why this or other older movies get blu-ray release also why the fuck do cartoons also get released in HD now. It feels like a waste of the extra 5-10$ more it costs to buy it.

PunkyMcGee

A Clever Title
Apr 5, 2010
TeeBs said:
I never understood why this or other older movies get blu-ray release also why the fuck do cartoons also get released in HD now. It feels like a waste of the extra 5-10$ more it costs to buy it.
have you seen cartoons on blu ray? the lines are crisp, the colors are bolder, it's just a really good look. but i do agree with you on old movies though.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Bout time.

It really started to piss me off when I could not find the origional before Legacy came out.
I ended up having to use other means so I could watch it before Legacy came out.
Good to know I can buy it now.

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
Hmmf might get this, already seen it, myehhhh ill just wait until legacy comes onto BR. AND get daft punks soundtrack to legacy.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Finally, I was wondering where the hell could I get a copy of the first movie before Legacy came out, maybe I'll have a better understanding of the whole "Tron" universe now. :D

TheSchizoid

Oct 28, 2009
I was glad I had my copy of the Tron DVD for a good ten years or so before Legacy came out. It's even in the two door clamshell instead of the standard size case. And, after watching it I still thought it was an amazing movie (though a little short). I can understand the reasoning behind wanting to focus on Legacy and not add in the rerelease hype of the original but I was also a little disappointed when Disney didn't have a Blu-ray release ready for the release of Legacy. Ah well. No need to fret anymore. Yay! And, as much as I dislike these specialty cases, mostly due to storage needs, this one is a get for me. Right next to my Dark Night Bat-bike case and my Buzz Lightyear with Toy Story 3 disc case backpack.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
ew gross Blu Ray

good luck getting me to buy a DVD (gotta be worth it), much less shell out extra for Blue Ray

(don't think I'll be suckered into the uber hi def stuff until I've gotten used to having a big screened TV...which has still not become a part of my life)

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Yeah, I thought something was weird when Netflix didn't have the original Tron. I wanted to watch Tron before I went to see Tron: Legacy, at least to remember what it was about. Will definitely check this out.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
First time I watched it I could never get past the way it looked. There is an old dvd copy at the dvd rental shop where I work so I might give it a look though.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Hmm, TRON on BR... Sounds interesting, might have to pick this up some time.

Johnmcl7

Nov 27, 2007
It's strange they didn't make more of an effort to get this out before the Legacy cinema release as I quite fancied watching it before going to see Legacy particularly as I was going with a younger brother who'd never seen the first one. I was surprised it wasn't available anywhere for a reasonable price, I think there's a bundle for the Legacy blu-ray release which comes with the original film which if cheap enough I'll probably go with.

RetroViruses

Aug 7, 2008
TeeBs said:
Spartacus (1960) was filmed in approximately 6000 lines of detail: or 6 times current "HD" in the vertical plane. Just because they couldn't broadcast a movie in HD doesn't mean they couldn't film it as such. That said, indie-ish movies will still look like shit: no fancy camera, no HD.

WittyInfidel

Aug 30, 2010
I couldn't help but post this. As soon as I saw this article, this song lodged back in my brain.

I hope you enjoy it, too.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
Suilenroc said:
TeeBs said:
have you seen cartoons on blu ray? the lines are crisp, the colors are bolder, it's just a really good look. but i do agree with you on old movies though.
I'm on Disney's automailer list and I love reviewing their cartoons. They look phenomenal.

I also can't wait to review this one.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Damn it I can't watch Blu-Ray!

Release it on a format everyone has please -_-

WittyInfidel said:
I couldn't help but post this. As soon as I saw this article, this song lodged back in my brain.

I hope you enjoy it, too.

Awesome video!