Videogame Artist Gives Star Wars a Gorgeous Steampunk Re-Imagining

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Videogame Artist Gives Star Wars a Gorgeous Steampunk Re-Imagining

Star Wars gets a few shades darker, as steam replaces the science.

There's no shortage of people putting their own spin on Star Wars [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101915-100-Custom-Darth-Vader-Helmets-Heading-to-the-Auction-House], and steampunk versions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106928-These-Steampunk-Star-Wars-Figures-Are-Bully] seem to be a particular favorite. Artist Björn Hurri's gone a step beyond just recreating the iconic characters with cogs, springs and retro-futuristic fashions however, and re-imagined the Star Wars universe into a much different place than it was before.

[gallery=123]

Much like the Jetsons-style Harry Potter re-imagining [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105284-Artist-Gives-Harry-Potter-Space-Opera-Update] from last year, everything is familiar, but subtly difference at the same time. Yoda is still a little green dude with big ears, but in Hurri's world, he smokes a hookah, and needs the help of an oxygen tank to breathe. Other characters get overhauls too. Hurri's Jabba isn't an enormous slug-like creature, but a morbidly obese man who sips tea in the shade of a parasol mounted on his reinforced litter. Not every character gets such a radical makeover though. The changes to Princess Leia and C3PO, for example, are really just cosmetic, although 3PO's new tie and moveable, mechanical eyebrows are utterly charming.

Hurri has been working on the images since 2008, seemingly in between other projects. During the day, Hurri works for Creative Assembly, and has produced a number of magazine covers for the Total War games. He's also done work for the Shadowrun pen and paper RPG, and has recently completed a collection of illustrations to promote Dead Space 2. You can see a more of Hurri's work on CGHub [http://bjornhurri.cghub.com/] and on his official website [http://www.bjornhurri.com/].

One of the best things about these images - and good concept art in general - is that they suggest a narrative. Hurri's Star Wars seems a much more decadent place, with the lines between who are the heroes and who are the villains much less distinct. It's a long way from the space opera original, but it seems like it would be a fascinating place to explore.

Source: via Geeks are Sexy [http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2011/02/09/epic-steam-punk-star-wars-pics/]

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Those look absolutely AWESOME!

Though... is Luke missing his arm, or is that... glove thing a glove?

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
I'm liking most of them. Jabba with the little teacup delicately held really sells it and the Stormtrooper is really badass. Boba Fett seems too insectoid and Luke's look isn't great, he seems too grizzeldy.

SomeLameStuff said:

I'm thinking it is meant to be post Empire Strikes Back.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
I really like the mustache-d Han Solo, sort of emphasises the levity in Solo's character.
All quite interesting drawing, it would be cool to see a re-imagining of the entirety of the films in this fashion.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
the jawa didn't really change much did it? :D

luke looks more like obiwan should, otherwise there all pretty good.

Sep 9, 2010
Han Solo looks so fruity with the moustach and sideburns combo and that hat. And the pipe. Its hilarious. These are really good, an internet cookie for the artist!

Aquilla

Oct 21, 2008
I loved them - agreed that Bobba looked too insectoid, but through C3PO was awesome (despite being called 3CPO!) Would love to have seen an R2...

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Seeing Han almost made me fall of my chair laughing. The Stormtrooper though looks awesome.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
manythings said:
I'm liking most of them. Jabba with the little teacup delicately held really sells it and the Stormtrooper is really badass. Boba Fett seems too insectoid and Luke's look isn't great, he seems too grizzeldy.

SomeLameStuff said:

I think it's a lightsaber... I might be wrong though

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
Deshin said:
manythings said:

SomeLameStuff said:

I think it's a lightsaber... I might be wrong though
I'm guessing he's trying to integrate both the lightsaber and Luke's mechanical hand. But Luke lost his right hand in Empire Strikes Back...

That's a minor quip. These pictures are amazing. Han Solo's and Boba Fett's are my favs.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Really great drawings. Not to fond of Han Solo's "re-imagining" nor Luke's but it's still cool looking.

The Stormtroopers looked like members of the Brotherhood of Steel though :3

Chronologist

Feb 28, 2010
I don't like the first Luke very much, though the fact that he made an actual steampunk replacement arm and lightsaber/blowtorch is pretty impressive.

Leia looks the best. I seriously want that outfit now.

NoDamnNames

Feb 25, 2009
I really like the truly "imperial" look of the ornate body armor on the storm trooper. Also love Boba Fett's new jetpack. The new Luke sky walker though doesn't jive with me though.