Blizzard Wants to Release Diablo III This Year

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Blizzard Wants to Release Diablo III This Year

While there's still no official release date in sight, Blizzard execs say they have made it a goal to release Diablo III this year.

We were all so resigned to the fact that Diablo III wouldn't be coming out this year [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/09/activision-at-least-two-blizzard-titles-coming-by-2012-diablo/], when a glimmer of hope appeared. Michael Morhaime and Rob Pardo, big-wigs over at Blizzard Entertainment, shared some delightful information.

Might we be seeing Diablo III sometime this year? "We really, really hope so. That's our goal," Pardo said. "Our goal is to get there. But you know, at the end of the day, we are going to get it right. That's more important. We're going to promise, we're going to get it out there when it's awesome. And, we're crossing our fingers, maybe it will be this year."

Blizzard has a track record of delaying games for long periods, but taking that time to fine-tune and hone their game, almost always releasing a quality product. Not wanting to release something half-finished is a laudable endeavor.

Could Diablo III be a bit simplistic for today's gamers? "We always felt there was a niche that wasn't really being served," said Morhaime, "that the Diablo gameplay experience was very different from a lot of games that are out today."

I would have pointed at games like Torchlight and Deathspank, shaken my head in disagreement, and told Mr. Morhaime that that niche has been nicely filled in Diablo's absence, but I would have been interrupted by Pardo's own disagreements.

"Niche implies something small, this little crevice we need to work ourselves into," Pardo said. "The thing Diablo has always done really well is broaden the RPG market. It brought people into it, who might not have come into it before. It's there for anyone who wants to have fun for 15 minutes or three hours."

Whether the game fills a niche or not, the idea that I may be sitting down for a 3-day marathon of Diablo III sometime this year makes me giddy.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/#!5757690/blizzards-goal-is-to-release-diablo-iii-this-year]

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Oh please let it be this year!!! Fourth quarter would be perfect. I've just started replaying D2 to prepare.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
If Skyrim and Diablo 3 release within two months of each other, my world will implode. That is all.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Gxas said:
Oh please let it be this year!!! Fourth quarter would be perfect. I've just started replaying D2 to prepare.
Same here. And though I find I can't play it for any extended length of time, I'm still loving the time I do. It's also been fun toying around with character branches that don't really go with my play styles. God I can't wait for D3!

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
They're saying they want to release it this year? That probably means it'll be coming out next year. Still, it'll almost definitely be amazingly polished when it is released, as with all Blizzard games.

However, if it does come out this year then i'll be one happy man.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
New Troll said:
Gxas said:
Same here. And though I find I can't play it for any extended length of time, I'm still loving the time I do. It's also been fun toying around with character branches that don't really go with my play styles. God I can't wait for D3!
I decided to go with a "Sword & Shield Barbarian" instead of my usual "Whatever I Feel Like Paladin" (max holy fire makes for a fun auradin).

Maybe this time I'll actually stick to the character and finish the game!

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
I swear no other dungeon crawler feels the same as Diablo did. I'm hoping for this year too, it'd be very nice but when they mean this year they probably mean a day before January 1st 2012.

zxBARRICADExz

Aug 28, 2009
Gxas said:
Activision would never let them take away from the Call of Duty releases in 4thQ.

if anything..it will be spring 2012.

dropZero

Feb 10, 2011
I'm not going to get my hopes up just yet, but it would be incredible if it actually released this year.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
omicron1 said:
If Skyrim and Diablo 3 release within two months of each other, my world will implode. That is all.
The universe, as we know it, will shatter.

Stuberfinn88

Nov 13, 2009
Ha...hahah.....bwahahahahahahaha

This year?!.. This is blizzard is it not? Release dates mean nothing, it will be out when they feel its ready.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
But...but if it comes out this year, then that's it. I have no more games to look forward to on my list. Gears of War 3, F.E.A.R 3, Mass Effect 3, Portal 2 (oh hey, look! A number that's not a 3) and Diablo 3.
Well, I suppose there's always Half-Life (Episode) 3, but that's gotten to the point of waiting for the sun to explode. It's going to happen, just probably not in my lifetime.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
Cristian Capatana said:
More polished than Cataclysm? Naaaah.
this is Blizzard we are talking about...they shine everything to the point that no only can you see yourself in it...but who you will be in 10 years and who you were 10 years ago....It will be out before 2020 i an assu....nvm lemme not say that.

Seigneur

Jan 22, 2011
Whoa Blizzard, whoa! Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Better take the Duke Nukem Forever route and wait 9 billion years in between games. What are you thinking?