Report: Crysis 2 Leaked

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Report: Crysis 2 Leaked

Almost 45 days before the scheduled release date, a complete build of Crysis 2 is freely available to people who frequent illegal download interwebsites.

According to a thread at Facepunch.com [http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1058902-Crysis-2-leaked-49-days-early.], the full code for Crytek's shooter sequel set in New York City, including multiplayer and the code key to deal with the online DRM, was posted today. No one is sure where the leak came from, but it's especially damaging because the game is near to being declared gold and shipping to retailers. If the code is recent, it's basically the game that everyone will be playing if they purchase the disc. Crysis 2 is set to come out for PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 on March 22nd.

"So a late developement build of Crysis 2 has gone up on certain sites, it includes the full game, including multiplayer," said user Tom Costello [http://www.facepunch.com/members/377655-TomCostello] from the Facepunch forums. "It also includes the DRM Solidshield master key files, which only fucking handles the online activation.

"Crytek are going to be so fucking mad," he concluded.

Damn straight, they are.

Source: Rock Paper Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/11/an-actual-crisis-crysis-2-leaked/?]

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
I don't understand... Is it the source code only, or is it the entire game, sound assets, 3D-models etc included?

Firetaffer

May 9, 2010
Oh damn! If I am hearing this right it's basically the whole game? Released a month before it's release date! OH GAWD!

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
Let's hope they take the time to change the key before release, even if it means a delay. And this is speaking as someone who has been eagerly watching any Crysis news for over a year, and who had pre-ordered the game. Crytek deserve better than this.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Arachon said:
I don't understand... Is it the source code only, or is it the entire game, sound assets, 3D-models etc included?
This is what I want to know too. Is it a full, compilable build of the 99% completed game, or is it just an install with some source code laying around too?

[hr]

Addendum:
I kept reading on the linked thread, and found this
raBBish said:
It wasn't just the game that was leaked in the case of HL2, it was the whole source code. This seems to be only the game and DRM key.
Source: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/10...33ef24a035&p=27991824&viewfull=1#post27991824

I'll read a bit more before I have to go out, and I'll edit this post appropriately...

[hr]

Addendum 2:
Cinek said:
In either way it?s really a serious leak, not just that someone copied a pre-release version of the game. It?s much more, some of the stuff there are internal-only files judging from TPB files listing, and the other were supposed to be released with Modding Tools pack which usually comes some time after the final game release.
Source: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/11/an-actual-crisis-crysis-2-leaked/#comment-619814

This seems to imply that I was right... An install of the game and a few pieces of source code. After seeing a list of files *somewhere*, I'm still not quite sure how far this goes. I'm fairly certain it's not all source code as the title of this article implies, but more to do with all kinds of internal Dev tools and stuff we don't usually get to see. Seems to be alot of console specific tools too...

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
I take it back, this is bad. Really fucking bad. Like, this is almost as bad, if not as bad as the Half Life 2 leak back in 03.

Clavus

Apr 4, 2010
The article states that 'the full code' was leaked. It's just a build of the game with some additional keys, not the full source code.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
Yeah, source code by itself has a fairly narrow audience, because it won't do anything terribly interesting without art and sound assets. The only conceivable downside of such a release is that it will enable miscreants to more easily analyze the network protocol portion and try to find vulnerabilities and create cheats.

The copy protection keys, OTOH, are pretty hilarious. Based on my blessedly limited experience with such things, you're supposed to keep such keys on a non-networked computer in a sealed room with strictly controlled access. Unsigned binaries go in; signed binaries (and nothing else) comes out. And if you want to be really persnickety about it, no one person has the complete password to the keys. You break it up among senior staff members, each of whom enter the sealed room one at a time to enter their piece of the password.

And the company providing the copy protection tech (no one in their right mind wastes their time developing this shit in-house) typically makes you sign a contract stating that you will control the keys in a manner similar to that described above, under pain of being pelted with rocks and garbage, etc. etc. etc.

You can imagine what this security theater does to your build turnaround times.

All for a game.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
And people usually worry about day 1 cracks... ouch. Day -45 release or whatever is taking the mickey slightly...

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Adzma said:
Someone's probably going to get fired and/or killed for this...
Someone should get killed for this. All that effort and some low life scum does this? Unforgivable.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Greg Tito said:
"Crytek are going to be so fucking mad," he concluded.
I think this image is appropriate

Crap, that is going to change sales like a ************, it will be interesting to see if it increases sales (through potential buys downloading it) or decrease sales because people already bought it

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Doh!

The consensus on the facepunch thread seems to be that the game was leaked, a full playable game, and not the source code.

People are going to pirate games regardless, but this kind of thing is going to drain the customers who were otherwise going to pay for it. As Extra Credits said to developers: "think of pirates as your competitors." Not only are they offering a free drm-less version of the product available for download 24/7, but now one available 48 days sooner.

My money is on a disgruntled employee who did this.