Skyrim Will Feature Tentacle Bears ... Maybe

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Skyrim Will Feature Tentacle Bears ... Maybe

New concept art reveals new environments and (possibly) one of the strangest monsters to ever fight a viking.

Bethesda is continuing to tease out more and more details for Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, though this may be the most tantalizing reveal yet. The developer has released some new concept art for the game that shows some new, viking-oriented locales in the game. Oh, yeah, and what looks like one of the most bizarre monsters you'll ever hope to see.

Most of the art is pretty standard for fantasy RPGs, featuring medieval statues, creepy dungeons, and mountain fortresses. But the gorilla in the room is the image seen here: that's right, it features a viking getting ready to beat down a bear that's sporting tentacles. That's what it looks like, and sites are reporting it as such.

It's certainly a bizarre image, but when I threw the concept art into Photoshop and enlarged it, I realized that the image might instead be of a bear standing over the corpse of a wooly mammoth. That said, the possible tusks look a lot like fleshy tentacles, and I think a tentacle bear could be one of the coolest in-game monsters I've ever heard of.

Source: Bethesda Blog

[gallery=124]

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
It's a bear and mammoth. That said, Bethesda should definitely incorporate a monstrosity like this.

moose49408

Oct 18, 2008
Um, I could be wrong about this, but that really looks like a dead mammoth laying on the ground. The "tentacle" I believe is actually just a tusk.

Edit: Never mind, maybe I should actually read the entire post before I post, ehe?

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Clearly a wooly mammoth... I was trying really hard to find the bear's tentacles but the tusks kept getting in the way...

That said, Staff, sword combo is PURE GOLD.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Looks more like a Mammoth and the tentacle its tusk.

Or it could be some type of new monster with thick fur and tentacles. Actually that sounds pretty cool.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Thank god it's a mammoth!
After the trouble bears have given me in Red Dead I definitely don't need them getting any more reach.

Or... Tentacle... Urgings.
I'm going to have nightmares now.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Definitely a mammoth in front of a bear

Still a tentacle tusked mammoth is still pretty cool though right?

Maybe Bethesda will throw a tentacle bear monster in now anyway

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
What should actually happen: There's exactly one tentacle bear hidden somewhere for fan-service alone.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
Definitely a mammoth and a bear, but I really wish it was a tentacle bear. In fact, I think I'm going to pretend it's a tentacle bear.
OT: Holy shit, it's a tentacle bear!

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
Maybe I look at things differently, but that doesn't look like a bear with tentacles. Looks like a bear standing over a wooly mammoth, like you said.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Bears with Tentacles? An evolution of Pedobear?

Anyway it just looks like a Mammoth type creature with extra tusks.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008

(Borrowed from onpause.org)

Yep. Bear and a mammoth. I'm not quite sure how anyone could really mistake that for a "tentacle bear", honestly... I got it at first glance, although I guess if the mini-screenshot was all you had to go by it might be harder.

DarkShadow144

Nov 16, 2010
oh dear god! The images! They won't get out of my head!
I know it's a bear and a mammoth, but from just reading that heading...ill be haunted by them for weeks!

rayen020

May 20, 2009
Goodness c'thulu bear would be awesome, sadly it is not to be. it's a mammoth and a bear. Well there's always exspansions, maybe bethesda will go "they want tentacle bears! Artists make it so!" Then we get "skyrim; revenge of house of dagoth" where difficulty of an enemy is based on the number of tentacles and they summon tentacle bears.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
That's mammoth carcass with a bear behind it about to chow down.

The claim of this news post is ridiculous. Everyone knows that the Bearctopus isn't a native to cold-weather environments.