Capcom Honors Guitar Hero By Playing MvC 3 With Guitar Controllers

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Capcom Honors Guitar Hero By Playing MvC 3 With Guitar Controllers

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-vs-Capcom-Worlds-Playstation-3/dp/B003IEBO9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297699742&sr=8-1] has never been so musical, and probably won't ever be again.

To honor the passing of the Guitar Hero series [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107672-Activision-Pulls-the-Plug-on-Guitar-Hero-Franchise], Capcom's Bochan Kim and Seth Killian threw down in a match of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 using Guitar Hero's distinctive guitar controllers. What's more, they filmed it for posterity and stuck it on the internet for all to see.

The fighters used the "Simple" control mode, as the guitar controllers have fewer buttons than a regular controller does and aren't really well designed for anything but music games. Killian picked Chun Li, Dormammu, and Dante as his team; Kim also chose Dante, but rounded out his squad with Ryu and Zero. For some reason Kim and Killian were standing on the wrong sides of the screen, respective to their characters, as if the match wasn't difficult enough already.

Either the Simple controls are very simple, or Killian and Kim are very good at the game - although it's probably a little bit of both - because if you didn't know they were using guitar controllers, you'd never guess. There are special moves and super-combos aplenty, and Killian even manages to activate his X-Factor mode, much to the announcer's surprise.

I won't reveal who wins, you'll have to watch the video to find that out, but as tributes to Guitar Hero go, this is probably one of the most inventive. It may also inspire a new breed of professional player - the Guitar Fighter - but that's a whole other story.

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 comes out for PS3 and Xbox 360 on February 15th.

Source: Capcom Unity [http://www.capcom-unity.com/snow_infernus/blog/2011/02/11/playing_marvel_vs_capcom_3_with_guitar_hero_controllers]

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Whoa, Seth Killian? The very same Seth Killian they named this guy [http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091106194450/streetfighter/images/b/b1/Se01.jpg] after?

In honor of this video, my friends and I will play this game the very same way on it's launch day until the stroke of midnight when we switch to regular controllers/joysticks (or at least until the novelty wears off).

hansari

May 31, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
It may also inspire a new breed of professional player - the Guitar Fighter - but that's a whole other story.>
The music peripheral genre is saved!!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Yeah I watched this on their blog yesterday. Try playing a shooter with a guitar hero control... its impossible :(

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
Fact: I played MarioKart with a guitar when we were too lazy to take the wiimotes out.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Saw this a couple 'a days ago. I was hoping they'd use the flipper thingy for movement as opposed to the D-pad. It's still cool, though.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Oh my goodness, MvC3 is actually released tomorrow!?? Bad time to not have a console. I hope it gets released for PC too, sometime.

OT: I love Capcom and this only reinforces that feeling.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
hansari said:
Logan Westbrook said:
It may also inspire a new breed of professional player - the Guitar Fighter - but that's a whole other story.>
The music peripheral genre is saved!!

(img snip)
I almost peed my pants at that anderson silva pic! XD Thanks for making my day.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
... I am so going to do this with my friends when I get this tomorrow.

Rogue 9

I, Jedi
Jun 22, 2008
I've played Tekken with a DDR mat once at a Games night. Very silly, lots of fun.