Cliff Bleszinski Doesn't Really Hate French Kids

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Cliff Bleszinski Doesn't Really Hate French Kids

The designer of Gears of War at Epic Games has learned a thing or two about how to talk to the press without being misquoted.

It's a nightmare for any public figure when your words are twisted or reported out of context, especially when you thought you were just joking or making light of something. Cliff Bleszinski from Epic Games has had his fair share of misquotes making headlines in the videogame press, including his criticism of Quantic Dream's Heavy Rain. In 2010, Bleszinski said that he loved the game, although he found the children "hideous," and VG247 used his off-color remark as a headline [http://www.vg247.com/2010/05/29/bleszinski-heavy-rain-has-hideous-children/]. He has since learned to use laser-like precision with his words, and frequently uses the constant updates of Twitter to combat any misrepresentation, but he doesn't think that he'll stop speaking his mind or telling the occasional joke.

"I now have the power of Twitter to interrupt them and stop something before it goes viral. I've had times when I say more or say less. It's just a matter of being surgical with your words , and making sure that if you say something it can't be quoted out of context. You have to be a little bit careful about joking," Bleszinski said.

He specifically brought up the situation with Heavy Rain to prove his point, extolling how much he respects the game once again. "I have done nothing but gush about Heavy Rain, but when I make one side joke about the fact I thought the kids were a little creepy, suddenly it becomes 'Bleszinski declares war on France.'"

Like most designers these days, Bleszinski uses social networking to keep tabs on industry. "The beauty of Twitter is that if an article like that pops up, one of my followers will alert me to it in minutes and I check it all and I can squash the story before it suddenly become the truth. What happens is one website picks up on it, the other website picks up on it, and it says 'Hey, I heard you hate French children.' So you can kill it and nip it in the bud immediately."

The large amount of followers that Bleszinski has on Twitter also allows him to direct the masses to this site or that, which can overwhelm the website's servers and even bring them down. "When you get a certain amount of followers, by the way, you can send all your followers to a website and essentially issue a denial of service attack at your will," he said.

With great power, comes great responsibility and Bleszinski made sure to add that he does not condone DDoS attacks of any kind.

Or does he?!?!!! This reporter isn't so sure. Hey, I've got a great idea for a headline. "Power-Hungry Cliffy B Directs Mob at Enemies" Yeah, that's the ticket!

Source: Videogamer [http://www.videogamer.com/news/cliff_bleszinski_on_being_misquoted.html]

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Why cant the news media get past twisting what people say till it fits their needs? It just seems so childish. I am glad to see he fights back though.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Ach! What have you done!? Won't the Escapist be a target now?

You fool! You have doomed as all! DOOOM!

OT: Don't you have to be presice all the time if you are a public figure? Because a lot can be taken out of context.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
If you publish that little article of yours at the bottom, he'll deny it and send his rabid fans after this site!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I don't think it's a good sign when people are this uptight about things to need to be that careful about what they say due to being famous or whatever. I'd actually probably have more respect for "Cliffy B" if he didn't go through a major effort to explain himself on something like that. I mean it's supposed to be criminal for someone to not like something?

Let me be honest, to me Heavy Rain is a throwback to an era of really bad "interactive movie" games of the sort you would find on the 3DO or among the first CD Roms for PC. Rather than coming up with a suitable obviously graphical artstyle to convey the game, they tried for realism and hit all the "uncanny valley" buttons to the point where it feels like I'm watching old episodes of "Thunderhawks" or "Captain Scarlet" (old children's shows with puppets... like what they did with "Team America: World Police").

I didn't follow it closely enough to know how France fits into this, but even if he DID knock France non-jokingly, I think it's unreasonable to expect someone to like everyone and everything.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
I skimmed over the post and ended up with this "Bleszinski declares war on France, veiled threats of DDoS attacks." Watch out France!

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
Veloxe said:
I skimmed over the post and ended up with this "Bleszinski declares war on France, veiled threats of DDoS attacks." Watch out France!
Then why bother and posting a comment that is by the way, invalid?
Thank you for missing the point entirely.

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
Soylent Bacon said:
BREAKING NEWS: BLESZINSKI DECLARES WAR ON FRANCE

"I now have the power...to...stop...France."
"I can squash...French children."
"So you can kill [them]...imediately."

-Cliff Bleszinski, design director for Epic, and today's Hitler.
This is awesome.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
I think it is more interesting that if he would hate French kids, he's not allowed to hate...
Good to see hes fighting back.

But c'mon. YOu are not allowed to ahte anyone without getting marked as a misanthrope.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Does anybody else think the headline:

[HEADING=1]THE CULT OF CLIFFY B. DECLARES WAR ON ALL THROUGH TWITTER![/HEADING]

Sounds awesome for some reason?

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Veloxe said:
Straying Bullet said:
Veloxe said:
Your point being?
It was a joke related to the whole media spin thing...

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Veloxe said:
Straying Bullet said:
Veloxe said:
Your point being?
I think he was trying to say that it's easier than you'd think to get the wrong end of the stick and assume that Cliffy B is a French child murderer. Simply by skimming the article it's easy to pick up on his (fake) declaration of war on France. I expect a lot of people on the internet only skim.

OT: Cliffy B = Awesome!

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Cliffy's one of the good guys.
Do I get to call you out again?

OT: I follow the guy on Twitter and never had any confusion as to him liking Heavy Rain.

He does say a lot of random stuff, though, so I could see where some people would misunderstand the guy.

Also, Heavy Rain is perfect and so is the chilren animation.