Guitar Hero Could Make a Comeback, Says Kotick

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Guitar Hero Could Make a Comeback, Says Kotick

Kotick claims that Activision could "re-invent" the series in the future.

Guitar Hero might be dead and buried, but according to Activision CEO Bobby Kotick, it doesn't necessarily have to stay that way. Kotick said that while music games weren't making much money right now, Activision might one day consider bringing the brand back.

Kotick said that the music game genre wasn't an area that was getting consumers excited, and so Activision had decided to focus its attention elsewhere. Activision had previously remarked to CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/288349/news/activision-never-say-never-on-future-dj/guitar-hero/] that the manufacturing and licensing costs involved with music games, combined with the decline in interest, meant that the titles just weren't profitable anymore. He didn't say that Activision would bring Guitar Hero back, just that it could, after tweaking and adjusting the formula. Unfortunately - or fortunately, depending on your point of view - Kotick said that that wasn't a particularly high priority for Activision right now.

I'm not sure that Guitar Hero really needs to be reinvented; instead, a chance to cool off might be more appropriate. Since the series started in 2005, Activision has pumped out a heck of a lot of Guitar Hero games, especially between the latter half of 2008 and the start of 2010. It's not hard to see how people might start to get bored after six releases in a year - including DJ Hero - not to mention the games on mobile platforms. Perhaps after a year or two without a new Guitar or DJ Hero game, interest in music games might recover.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/288573/news/kotick-activision-could-reinvent-guitar-hero-in-the-future/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
I guess if they release it and it is unsuccessful it will give us a good idea of how long you should wait for nostalgia to kick in.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Oh just take it off the re-sus table already, its run its course

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, to be honest I think a lot of the problems have to do with greedy music celebrities engaged in cash grabs. It seems to me that the decline in industry interest happened to coincide with complaints made by singers that their images could be used to sing the songs
of other bands and so on.

Given the huge number of releases for songs filling XBL and the like, I can't see people not buying them.

I'm not a genere fan, and am actually glad to see this die out a bit, but at the same time I suspect we're dealing with the game companies trying to teach the musicians a lesson about pressuring them, by simply cutting off the cash cow instead of letting them push for bigger cuts.

Also, limited sales are doubtlessly because the tech hasn't really improved that much despite the new games. You only need one plastic guitar, and once you have the songs you want, there is no need to buy more. Perhaps during the next console generation there will be enough of a differance in technology to relaunch the idea in a big way.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Gabanuka said:
How does one re-invent Guitar Hero?
Get rid of the plastic guitars, replace them with coin slots; get rid of the music, replace it with a track of white noise with a subliminal message on it; replace the visuals with a picture of Kotick laughing; releasing forty titles a week; profit. That's the only thing I could imagine Activision doing, it's not like they'd come up with an original concept or anything is it?

Feb 13, 2008
Even if something's dead and buried, it won't stop Kotick digging it up on the chance of more money!

They should name a form of Ebola after him.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
If they can actually "re-invent" the series, then maybe there'll be less of the silly GH hatred.
It'd be nice if we could get more DLC.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Gabanuka said:
How does one re-invent Guitar Hero?
You have to realise that this is Bobby Kotick. "re-inventing" in his mind is perhaps, I dont know, charging 5 dollars more for the controller?

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
http://imgur.com/gallery/lhxct

19 games, WE DON'T NEED ANYMORE!

Going to sound like a rockband fan boy, but here goes, Rock band is way better, and they understand that no one wants to change out one of 19 discs depending on what song you want to play, just hope rockband can stay afloat in this rough sea of little plastic guitars.

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
Somebody needs to introduce Kotick to the concept of crop rotation. He could apply the theory to his business practices.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
They knew this was a gimmick right out of the gate. Maybe if they hadn't milked it until the titties were dried out they would still be making a steady profit on this franchise.

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
Does this mean they're done driving that into the ground? Does this mean kids can get out now and put the effort it takes mastering Dragonforce on expert into a real instrument? That is far more fun and rewarding than pounding on a toy.