"Games Cause Rape" Psychiatrist Defends Her Position

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
"Games Cause Rape" Psychiatrist Defends Her Position

Dr. Carole Lieberman, the "media psychiatrist" who claimed on Fox News that videogames are responsible for turning people into rapists, has finally issued a statement defending her claim.

In case you somehow missed it, videogames can turn people into rapists [http://www.drcarole.com/home.htm].

It was ludicrous, of course, not only because there is absolutely zero evidence that videogames cause sexual violence but because it flies in the face of statistics showing that the incidence of rape has actually declined significantly over the past two decades. But none of that has prevented Lieberman from standing behind her statement.

After nearly a week of waiting, Lieberman put out a statement today claiming that her response to demands for evidence was delayed because she'd filed them away on the assumption that "everyone already knew about these studies," and hadn't been able to get to them in a timely fashion because of her "obligations to patients and other professional commitments." Included with the statement were links to her supporting evidence, which included the American Psychological Association's "RapeLay [http://www.apa.org/about/governance/council/policy/interactive-media.pdf].

In other words, there's not a whole lot to see here, nor is there any defense of her claim that the number of reported rapes is up despite the fact that the number of reported rapes is down. Instead, what we're treated to is condescension and dismissal. Her response in full:

"I am sending this email to all of the reporters, editors, bloggers, gamers and others who have contacted me asking about what my opinion regarding violent video games was based upon. When I was first asked to provide studies, I did not have them on my fingertips - not because I didn't know they existed - but because I thought that everyone already knew about these studies and I had them filed away. My obligations to patients and other professional commitments have delayed my gathering these examples of such studies, and sending them to you, until now."

"I have worked in the area of media violence for many years. This included testifying before Congress on the issue, doing numerous media interviews, stopping the 'Schwarzenegger rocket' that was to have had an ad for Last Action Hero on it, being invited to contribute an essay on video game violence to Larry King's book Beyond A Reasonable Doubt, etc. When the Columbine murders took place, there were national polls where people voted on what they believed caused the two young men to kill. Media violence ranked high on the list, so I, obviously mistakenly, assumed that people still knew about the studies showing this connection - and believed them to have proven the link."

"In any case, I would appreciate your including a mention of these studies on your websites, blogs or comments, or at least including a mention of the fact that I did provide such studies to you. Thank you."

So the matter was settled long ago, in other words, and those of us who weren't aware of that fact have nobody to blame but ourselves for not paying attention. It's not exactly an overwhelming argument and the fact that RapeLay ended up in the mix speaks for itself; it goes without saying that no mention was made of dissenting studies. It's hard to say where things will go from here - probably nowhere good - but at this point I think it's safe to assume that we won't be getting a Cooper Lawrence-style admission of error [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/81009-Fox-News-Commentator-Apologizes-for-Mass-Effect-Comments-Following-Blowback] out of Dr. Lieberman.

Source: GamesRadar [http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/bulletstorm/news/psychiatrist-who-claimed-games-have-caused-an-increase-in-rapes-responds-explains-nothing/a-201102141103878086/g-20100412105850796030]

Thanks to The_root_of_all_evil [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/The_root_of_all_evil] for the tip.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
You know, I'd like to think the makers of Bulletstorm are behind this. So many ways she ould present legitimate, albeit restrained, criticism of overly violent games, it's like she's going out of her way to discredit herself.

AsianMafiaSin

Mar 19, 2010
Give an apology or the Amazonbombs continue, though I am aware the author of the article has no control of her.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Dr.Liberman said:
When the Columbine murders took place, there were national polls where people voted on what they believed caused the two young men to kill. Media violence ranked high on the list
Huh... Apparently to her a "national poll" counts as a "study."
ROIGHT! Well then I'm going to have a "national poll" over the cuteness of bunnies and then call it a study!

I R DOKTOR NAO.

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
i played the Bulletstorm demo and i personally feel no desire to go commit a violent crime and/or rape. however, i will admit the demo influenced me to go preorder the full version when at the end it called me "dick-tits."

RagnorakTres

Feb 10, 2009
Oh, I have been waiting for this, and I'm glad that her response confirms my suspicions.

The woman is an unrepentant ***** with no quandaries about misrepresenting facts and spinning tales from wholecloth simply to support her biased opinions that she presents as facts.

Of course, she's a contributor to Rupert Murdock's Right Wing "News" Conglomerate, so I expected little else, though I did perhaps allow myself to hope that she was simply ill-informed and not willfully ignorant. It is the repeated crushing of this optimistic outlook by the cruelty of the real world that has resulted in the angry and resentful person writing this.

I need a drink, wash the bitter taste of disappointment in humanity out of my mouth.

Seives-Sliver

Jun 25, 2008
Honestly I think it's people like this that give gamers so much opposition, we demand evidence on sight and those that come unprepared and assume that we already know all the latest studies and whatnot, and that may be true for the gamers that are psychologists and go into that area when they get an occupation, but many gamers are not omnipotant beings and what the 'Average Joe' on the street knows, is often what many of us know as well...Though I do hope I am not being a hypocrit here and assuming that. Maybe every other gamer does know that and I am the only one that hasn't dug up all that research and am left in the dark because I didn't expect to be grilled about research on violence and that stuff when I woke up today. Again I ramble on far too long X3

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Apparently Miss Lieberman has never met a that she couldn't simply ignore. Really, what kind of quack writes up a study then blames the reader for not already knowing the source material? You ALWAYS cite your sources in research documents. Who gave her a Ph.D.?

Perhaps it's her ego getting in the way. After all, she pretty much assumes that we've been following her since the days when Arnold was still in movies, which is adorable.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Dr.Liberman said:
When the Columbine murders took place, there were national polls where people voted on what they believed caused the two young men to kill. Media violence ranked high on the list
ROIGHT! Well then I'm going to have a "national poll" over the cuteness of bunnies and then call it a study!

I R DOKTOR NAO.
The difference being that bunnies actually are cute, so you'd be calling a "national poll" a "study" to support fact, rather than utter bullshit.

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
Catalyst6 said:
Apparently Miss Lieberman has never met a that she couldn't simply ignore. Really, what kind of quack writes up a study then blames the reader for not already knowing the source material? You ALWAYS cite your sources in research documents. Who gave her a Ph.D.?
Quite possibly the same people who said Dr. Phill and Dr. Laura were all Ph.Ds

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Cain_Zeros said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Dr.Liberman said:

I R DOKTOR NAO.
The difference being that bunnies actually are cute, so you'd be calling a "national poll" a "study" to support fact, rather than utter bullshit.
Shit... I didn't think anyone would call me out on my bullshit.
HOLY COW! I just made a parallel between that author and my random act of stupidity.
Thank you for helping me laugh much harder at her expense tonight.
xD

Kayden

Feb 19, 2010
Hey hey everyone FOX news thinks this is serious business, and when has FOX news ever been wrong? /sarcasm

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Cain_Zeros said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Dr.Liberman said:

I R DOKTOR NAO.
Shit... I didn't think anyone would call me out on my bullshit.
HOLY COW! I just made a parallel between that author and my random act of stupidity.
Thank you for helping me laugh much harder at her expense tonight.
xD
Well, she deserves all the laughter at her expense we can provide.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
"When the Columbine murders took place, there were national polls where people voted on what they believed caused the two young men to kill. Media violence ranked high on the list, so I, obviously mistakenly, assumed that people still knew about the studies"

So now it's OK to use opinion to substantiate your opinion? Sweet, no need to ever do research for a paper again! What really scares me about this is that this "expert" has been called to stand witness before Congress on matters of media violence. How's that for terrible awfulness?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Ohohoho... You are so very, very silly Dr. Lieberman, pretending you know a great deal about this subject and all.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
She doesn't know nothing. She didn't even touch a videogame in life and just because watches Fox News she thinks she know all about the subject.