Sega Aims For Hardcore Wii Gamers

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sega Aims For Hardcore Wii Gamers

Simon Jeffery, president of Sega of America [http://www.sega.com], is trying to make a splash in an underserved and rarely-discussed market segment: The hardcore Wii gamer.

Speaking to EA [http://venturebeat.com/2008/08/14/qa-an-interview-with-segas-simon-jeffery-monkeying-around-with-iphone-games-and-the-wii/]. And staying so profitable. EA has the size and magnitude, but their profits are gone. They have big overhead too. Activision Blizzard is raining money now."

Interestingly, despite the legacy of the Nintendo-versus-Sega console wars of years gone by, Jeffery sees future expansion on the Nintendo platform as key to Sega's continued success, particularly with mature, hardcore games, an area that has thus far gone largely neglected. "The Wii is a very cost effective platform to experiment with," he said. "There is a lot of crap coming out for the Wii in general. But if it's not a good game, it doesn't sell. That flood of crap will die down as publishers become more coherent."

"The Wii is a great opportunity for hitting hardcore gamers," he continued. "No one is doing that. With Xbox 360 [http://www.sega.com/platinumgames/madworld/EnglishUK/index2.html] to do that."

Asked about constant assertions that the Wii is simply a passing fad, Jeffery said such beliefs had been "very much disproven," adding, "People do play with the Wii like crazy for awhile. It gathers cobwebs. Then they bring it out again. But kids are such a big part of the gaming community now and they're demanding Wiis from their parents. Those kids will shape the future of gaming and they're not a fad. Sony [http://www.microsoft.com] have to think about how to make their experiences more gaming in that way."

While MadWorld, a Wii-exclusive title set for release in early 2009, may give Nintendo more credibility with the hardcore crowd, it has also inevitably Mediawatch-uk [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/85609] called for the game to be banned and said it would "spoil the family fun image of the Wii."

HomeAliveIn45

Jun 4, 2008
Just the very fact that he said "[gamers] don't have to have an Xbox 360 to [play hardcore games]" makes me laugh. Then there's the added fact that the PS3 is supposed to be this generation's hardcore platform.
It's like totalitarian governments telling you it's better to starve to death in their country than the one 500 kilometers down the road.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
I don't know what to think about this game. I'd like to support more creative and different titles (I bought Blast Works, haven't played it yet though), but if the fun of this game solely resides in how many ways you can kill someone... I might have to pass on this one. I hope there's a gritty story with excellent voice acting to support the mayhem, but I'm not holding my breath.

the monopoly guy

May 8, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Utter BS. You can't be hardcore in gaming with a console. PC or bust, or stay in the little leagues with your lil off-the-shelf toys.
/sarcastic-smugness

As sarcastic as I was being, consoles =/= hardcore gaming any more than a ford taurus = a rice rocket (street-racer car)
and especially not the Wii

Looks interesting though.

The Iron Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
Isn't the average Wii gamer supposed to be like 8 years old?
Why the hell would you want a hardcore 8 year old?

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
The Iron Ninja post=7.68444.629872 said:
Isn't the average Wii gamer supposed to be like 8 years old?
Why the hell would you want a hardcore 8 year old?
An ultra-violent Backyardigans game would rock.

NukaCola23

Aug 12, 2008
I don't understand the negative backlash towards this. While I do agree saying that one doesn't need a 360 or PS3 to be a hardcore gamer is daft, I don't see having more hardcore games coming out for the Wii could be a bad thing. These gamers complain when all the Wii is getting are casual party games, and then they complain when a company is interested in publishing hardcore games. I'm happy with my COD4 and BFBC on the 360 and playing Mario Kart with my girlfriend on my Wii. There can be balance.

JiggMaster

Aug 14, 2008
I own a wii and a ps3, my ps3 is collecting dust as I play my wii, and I'm a rather hardcore gamer. I use my PS3 for rock band and that's it. So I pretty much don't have one. You can be a hardcore gamer with just a wii.

HomeAliveIn45

Jun 4, 2008
JiggMaster post=7.68444.630709 said:
I own a wii and a ps3, my ps3 is collecting dust as I play my wii, and I'm a rather hardcore gamer. I use my PS3 for rock band and that's it. So I pretty much don't have one. You can be a hardcore gamer with just a wii.
But you have to understand that that's a little rare. A lot of times, it's the other way around

dukeh016

Jul 25, 2008
Oh my that would make a fantastic commercial...

- Japanese Guy knocks on door of average suburban home
- Door opens, everyone is smiling, Japanese guy is holding Wii
- Japanese guy murders entire family with chainsaw
- "Won't you come out and play?"

I should go into marketing. Or murdering. Where's a quarter to flip...

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Indigo_Dingo post=7.68444.631066 said:
HomeAliveIn45 post=7.68444.631042 said:
JiggMaster post=7.68444.630709 said:
But you have to understand that that's a little rare. A lot of times, it's the other way around
Pretty much, yeah. Occasionally I'll play No More Heroes or Brawl, but in my Ps3 sees way more usage than my Wii. I didn't buy it for new and interesting ideas, I bought it cause I'm a sucker for Metroid, Zelda and the rest. No More Heroes was nice, but Kurayami will probably be and do better.
Aye. Lack of third party support has always been a weak point for Nintendo's consoles. This is fine when we have quality first party games, but the problem is, those games have large spaces in between them. Third Party Games are supposed to act as time crunchers while we wait for the next one. Unfortunately, Nintendo seems to have forgotten this.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
So you have enviromental kills, there's litteraly 3 colors total and...
That's about it. Combo between condemned 2 (WHERE IS MY PC VERSION???) and gears 2 (SAME GOES FOR YOU EPIC) and a bit of the wii's "decent framerate is for wimps". Even the video stutters and all synch kills are pre-rendered...

The only good thing about is is that the guy in the article admits that that there's alot of shit on the wii instead of blabbering on about how they "are realy exited about new features is our future games" with those "new features" miraculously disapearing every time they release something and being postponed to another "future game"

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
You're only as hardcore as you feel. A broader variety of titles will help any platform, and the better a platform does, the better the performance of those who target it. So I really can't see anything wrong with this.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Indigo_Dingo post=7.68444.632192 said:
As I recall, the largest third party - EA, actually said they weren't going to work with the Wii.
And they've since said admitted decision was a mistake.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/85279

I don't know if this will signal a drastic shift in the Wii audience, but I think it's a brilliant move by Sega. Enough "hardcore" gamers own a Wii along with their PS3 or 360 (or PC, if they're actually hardcore and not just button-mashing wanna-bes who think that staying up late on weekends playing Madden with their sideways-hat-wearing buddies makes them hardcore but let's not get started on that) that the option for more mature (read: violent) gameplay may be very appealing. Nobody's doing that, and if Sega can be the first one to fill that niche, and do so successfully, it could be big business for them.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I might give this a go if only to actually play something on the Wii. Poor things been hiding in the shadow of my Colossal PS3.