Put the Button to the Plastic in the Awesome, Game-Inspired Famicar

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Put the Button to the Plastic in the Awesome, Game-Inspired Famicar

Get ready to take a ride in the Famicar, the Giant Robot Famicom Scion that's the coolest gaming-inspired car you've ever seen.

Okay, no, you're not actually going to get to take a ride in this thing, but at least you'll be able to watch some other guys cruise around in it for awhile. "It" being the Giant Robot Famicom Scion, an extensively modified Famicom [http://www.scion.com/#/xB] system, but plays like one too.

The car sports "pop doors" with bright red buttons that not only look like they belong on a game controller but actually make familiar sounds when they're pushed. The "car key" is a game cartridge (that also makes sounds when inserted), while the starter button is an actual videogame button. Rounding out the design is upholstery inspired by early 80s Activision [http://www.activision.com] colors and seat belt buckles made out of controllers.

And they don't just look the part. The seat belt controllers can be used to play games projected into a wall from the front left headlight, while at the rear of car features a fold-down loveseat and a second projector that can be connected to a different system.

The car is fully functional but it's only been on the road once, during a test-drive a few days before it was completed. The drive looks like it was a lot of fun. "It felt good," narrator Eric Nakamura said in the Youtube video documenting the Famicar. "The car will hopefully live a longer life than all of us and I hope one day somebody powers the car up and sees how 8-bit videogames inspired a generation of youths in 2010."

via: Attract Mode [http://attractmo.de/blog/a-closer-look-at-the-famicar/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+attractmodeblog+]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I swear Top Gear had a look at this things spiritual successor back in 2007-ish.

Anywho it looks ok overall, but wont appeal to or particularly please certain people.

Imagine if those doors shouted out Deadpool quotes from MvC3... I'd buy it.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Probably the most obnoxious car ever, but I can't help but like it.
Especially the cartridge key, that's just nice.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
DO WANT!!!

Well ok that car would easily get stolen due to having no door keys for it and I guessing it lack a car alarm and security.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Ew ugly, and all the sounds are silly. The part I like is the cartrige "key" and of course the game projectors.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
That is a very awkwardly phrased title.

Sould1n

Jan 23, 2011
I've never been too interested in cars and as for driving I've always gone on in the belief that I can walk to most destinations or ask a friend or family member for a lift when required. This however is awesome. Praise the epic video game car, praise it people!

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
That Mario star power sound would get really annoying as it lasts far too long.
hell, i would keep oppening the door while driving so that i would be driving with the power up, isnt that the starman theme?? its also used in Mario Kart

althought i hated the whole thing for the lack of reall appeal except for the key and the dashboard. and the collors of the seats.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I was going to say that this is one car you won't be picking up any chicks on, but then I remembered female nerds exists, and I bet most of them would take nothing less to pick up.

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
You wanna know how awesome this car is? I would totally drive it... and I fucking hate Scions.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
The car door sounds would get on my nerves right quick! Especially Mario's invincibility theme for the back left door.
thenumberthirteen said:
That Mario star power sound would get really annoying as it lasts far too long.
Random Fella said:
That would get sooo annoying.
Looks like I'm not the only one.

Jymm

Sep 18, 2010
I wonder what the horn sounds like, since it's the only 'button' pushed in a normal car that makes a noise. Odd they didn't demonstrate that.