Wonder Woman Pilot Finds its Leading Lady

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008

The streets of Los Angeles will soon have a new protector, and now we know who she is.

Actress Adrianne Palacki has won the title role in David E. Kelley's Wonder Woman TV pilot. Palacki is perhaps best known for her appearances on the TV show Friday Night Lights, and has also played parts in Smallville and the Aquaman pilot.

It seems that Palacki bagged the role of Wonder Woman in a "decisive manner," and was the only actress invited to screen test for it. In the re-imagining, Wonder Woman is a vigilante crime fighter on the streets of Los Angeles, while Diana Prince - Wonder Woman's secret identity - is a successful corporate executive who spends a lot of time trying to balance her commitments to her job and her crime fighting career. Jeffrey Reiner, who has worked with Palacki before on Friday Night Lights, will direct the pilot. His previous work includes the pilot for Caprica and - rather charmingly - a few episodes of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

It's unclear whether the more fantastical elements of Wonder Woman - like her Golden Lasso that compels people to speak the truth or her bracelets that can deflect bullets, not to mention her super strength and other powers - will feature in the pilot, but it's hard to tell very much at all from such a short description. There are no details about when the pilot will air, but as the lead role has only just been cast, it stands to reason that it will be a while before we see it.

Source: Bleeding Cool [http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/02/16/meet-the-new-wonder-woman-adrianne-palicki/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+BleedingCool+(Bleeding+Cool+Comic+News+%26+Rumors)]

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Ok, i´ve done a quick google image search on her and i think she´s alright for the part. Back to my "research"!

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
This is the series where Wonder Woman will say "You go, girl!" right, and all the pop music?

Still have very very low hopes for it.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
How exactly is Wonder Woman going to maintain a secret identity? I mean, there's no mask or anything, she's actually *less* dressed than a normal person.

I mean, are they going to take the "she plays dumb to get out of it despite the obvious perfect resemblance" route?

cWg | Konka

Feb 9, 2010
Zaik said:
How exactly is Wonder Woman going to maintain a secret identity? I mean, there's no mask or anything, she's actually *less* dressed than a normal person.

I mean, are they going to take the "she plays dumb to get out of it despite the obvious perfect resemblance" route?
no one is looking at her face

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
wow... this may be the first time i ever actually find Wonder Woman to be attractive. on the other hand, that god-awful RYB swimming-suit of hers could make almost anyone unattractive...

onyx452

Jan 27, 2010
I say 'comic logic' to her not wearing a mask. Superman had it too, although that was also due to his disarming nature as a person. Maybe she'll be the same in this iteration?

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
How does being an Amazonian Princess who defies her mother to defend America against the Nazi's factor into Ally McBeal?

Anyone?

James696

May 7, 2009
1) Remember that only 5 years or so ago Batman was also considered 'more or less a joke', all it takes is one solid tv show or Summer blockbuster to completely turn around the mainstream's perception of a particular hero.

2) Wonder Woman doesn't wear a mask, but she does use more to disguise herself than Superman. Wonder Woman has three identities in the show which means that Palicki will essentially be playing three roles: 'Wonder Woman' the superhero, 'Diana of Themyscira' the ambassador of her people and head of a media empire that funds WW's operations, and 'Diana Prince'. The first two identities are public, for the third Adrianne will be wearing a wig, glasses and I imagine that she'll carry herself in a much more subdued manner than when playing the other two "roles".

This could turn out to be absolutely terrible as we've seen nothing at this stage, but I'm quietly excited that Wonder Woman is finally getting the attention in the mainstream that she deserves.

James696

May 7, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:

The streets of Los Angeles will soon have a new protector, and now we know who she is.

Actress Adrianne Palacki has won the title role in David E. Kelley's Wonder Woman TV pilot. Palacki is perhaps best known for her appearances on the TV show Friday Night Lights, and has also played parts in Smallville and the Aquaman pilot.

It seems that Palacki bagged the role of Wonder Woman in a "decisive manner," and was the only actress invited to screen test for it. In the re-imagining, Wonder Woman is a vigilante crime fighter on the streets of Los Angeles, while Diana Prince - Wonder Woman's secret identity - is a successful corporate executive who spends a lot of time trying to balance her commitments to her job and her crime fighting career. Jeffrey Reiner, who has worked with Palacki before on Friday Night Lights, will direct the pilot. His previous work includes the pilot for Caprica and - rather charmingly - a few episodes of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

It's unclear whether the more fantastical elements of Wonder Woman - like her Golden Lasso that compels people to speak the truth or her bracelets that can deflect bullets, not to mention her super strength and other powers - will feature in the pilot, but it's hard to tell very much at all from such a short description. There are no details about when the pilot will air, but as the lead role has only just been cast, it stands to reason that it will be a while before we see it.

Source: Bleeding Cool [http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/02/16/meet-the-new-wonder-woman-adrianne-palicki/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+BleedingCool+(Bleeding+Cool+Comic+News+%26+Rumors)]

From script reviews online it's been established that her super-strength, bracelets and unbreakable lasso will feature in the show. At this stage I'm not sure if her lasso will compel people to tell the truth, though in the comics the compulsion ability comes from Wonder Woman herself and the lasso merely acts as an extension of this power - which version they'll go with is unclear.

Also important is that the TV Wonder Woman won't be able to fly, like older versions of the character she relies on a fleet of vehicles to get around (much like Batman). I'm happy that they've done this 1) simply because I feel not being able to fly makes her more unique and 2) Smallville has proved that trying to show flight with only a small screen budget looks laughably bad most of the time.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Is it me or does the premise sound like a "more regular life responsible Batman"? :p

mistwolf

Feb 1, 2008
It would have been more interesting to explore her as a non-mocking lesbian character, but they will instead focus on the romance with The Important Man. This is going to end up just being boring tripe retreading places already gone though a long time ago that no one really wants to go back to.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
i still just pray it never makes it to to the teli. Please disapprove demographic focus group!!