BioWare Issues Dragon Age Demo Call to Arms

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioWare Issues Dragon Age Demo Call to Arms

BioWare promises to unlock two new items for Dragon Age 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-2-Xbox-360/dp/B0047TG2R0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297972515&sr=8-1] if the demo is downloaded at least one million times before March 1.

The Dragon Age 2 demo arrives on February 22 and along with it will come a simple proposal: just call up a million of your closest friends, get them all to download it and BioWare [http://www.bioware.com] will unlock two new in-game items for the full version of Dragon Age 2. They don't even have to own the same systems; the target is the combined download count across the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. The only catch is that the job must be done by March 1, or you get nothing!

And what's your reward for taking part in this great act of heroism and valor? First is "The Far Cliffs of Kirkwall," a book of poetry written by a Fereldan refugee dreaming of a new life in Kirkwall as she flees the Blight, which will not only enrich players with her insights but also toss a few coins their way for reading it; and second is "Lothering's Lament," also a book of poetry written by a Fereldan refugee fleeing the blight but this one packed with reminiscences of all she left behind, blessing the player with her experience and giving them an XP bonus when it's read.

The download total will be tracked on the Dragon Age 2 demo page [http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/demo/] and you'll have to be logged into your EA account while you play the demo in order for your download to count. And if you're the sort of person who can't play nicely with others but doesn't mind reaping the rewards of their hard work, BioWare has you covered: as long as the demo hits one million downloads, everybody gets the items, whether they tried the demo or not.

But if it doesn't hit a million, you get nothing!

Dragon Age 2 comes out on March 8 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC and Mac.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Wow, I didn't think DA bonus item things could get more worthless. On a semi-related question, does anyone know if the demo will be on steam?

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
I'm not gonna play the demo, because I want to know as little as possible about the game when I start playing it, but I'm still gonna download the demo. My contribution matters!.......or so I am told.

Nikki_Viper

Nov 30, 2010
Fr said:
anc[is]Wow, I didn't think DA bonus item things could get more worthless. On a semi-related question, does anyone know if the demo will be on steam?
Better than getting a starter sword that you'll throw away at level 3 like most games with Pre-order content. This actually enriches the game a tiny bit.

Most people think they need to give you UBER armor as an adequate item, but what's the point if you can't play it till level 20 anyways

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I'll be doing my part to help the cause.
And I'll be pestering my friends to do the same, even if they don't like Dragon Age.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Sunrider84 said:
I'm not gonna play the demo, because I want to know as little as possible about the game when I start playing it, but I'm still gonna download the demo. My contribution matters!.......or so I am told.
The article says we have to play it while logged in to count. But Idon't wanna play the demo either lol.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
squid5580 said:
Sunrider84 said:
The article says we have to play it while logged in to count. But Idon't wanna play the demo either lol.
True, but chances are you don't really have to play it more than actually launching it while logged in or something.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Well, I can download it, but I'm not playing it even if you pay me! I want to go into the game fresh, the demo is just going to tease me and maybe spoil stuff. Seeing as I'm 100% getting DA2, I don't really need a demo. But if it makes them happy, I'll DL it.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
Downloading the demo regardless.
Nice to see a little incentive though.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Sunrider84 said:
squid5580 said:
Sunrider84 said:
True, but chances are you don't really have to play it more than actually launching it while logged in or something.
I hope so. I just wanna fire it up and turn it off as fast as possible. I hope I can resist the tempation lol

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
I just want the bastards to release it already. There is nothing between now and March 11th so I have nothing to distract me from the wait and it is killing me.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Hmmm... I have multiple EA accounts (I'm terrible at remembering usernames), and all three systems. Perhaps a bit of stuffing is in order...

NooNameLeft

Sep 15, 2009
Gold and XP, how original...
Like someone mentioned above, I'm not going to download the demo because I don't want any spoilers before I get my hands on the full version.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Kind of tired of all these pissy little content additions.

What if I don't want to download the demo because I want to play all of the game completely new?

Para199x

Nov 18, 2010
Sunrider84 said:
squid5580 said:
Sunrider84 said:
It shouldn't ruin anything, it's just the prologue part of the actual game, so it's the first thing you'd do when playing the game.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Cleril said:
Woodsey said:
Kind of tired of all these pissy little content additions.

What if I don't want to download the demo because I want to play all of the game completely new?
It just says you must play it and be logged on to the EA servers for it to count. You could just click "Start Demo" and then shut it off.
I'd also have to download something I don't want to play - it's two books, just include them in the game for goodness sake.