Crytek Hints at Crysis 2 Demo for PS3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Crytek Hints at Crysis 2 Demo for PS3

Crytek dropped a pretty big hint that the Crysis 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Crysis-2-Limited-Playstation-3/dp/B002BRZ6UE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1298047238&sr=8-3] demo will make its way to the PlayStation 3, saying that PS3 owners "can probably hope for one" at some point in the future.

Xbox 360 owners Crytek [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107205-Xbox-360-Exclusive-Crysis-2-Demo-Coming-Soon] has been oddly silent about Sony's platform amidst the minor kerfuffle over the originally-platform-specific demo, but Crysis 2 Executive Producer Nathan Camarillo hinted yesterday that it hasn't been forgotten.

PlayStation gamers "can probably hope for one," he told PlayStation Universe [http://www.psu.com/Exclusive--Crysis-2-producer-talks-PS3-demo,-downloadable-content--a010725-p0.php]. "We want as many people to play Crysis 2 as possible. I can't say anything too specific... we haven't announced [the demo] yet."

Hope may not be much to go on, especially with the release of the full game little more than a month away, but he also offered assurances (or warnings, depending on your perspective) that the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of the game would be virtually identical. "People can try to find [disparities], but they won't find anything," Camarillo said. "They both run great, they both play great whether you're playing single-player or multiplayer - they're identical offerings. The quality is outstanding on both of them; there's really no difference."

Crysis 2 comes out on March 22 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
It would be nice for everyone to be able to get a demo of Crytek's game regardless of platform. Some of us would like to think that they're better than that, unlike a certain other developer who made a game that rhymes with mulletstorm and didn't include a pc demo...

Dansrage

Nov 9, 2010
That's kind of, unfair?
If they're planning to release the game on that platform, providing a demo for the other two but not the PS3 seems kind of petty.
I've been playing it on the 360 for a couple of weeks (the beta just finished for me) and based on the demo alone it's a day one purchase for me, denying PS3 users the option to try before they buy is a very bad move.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
A demo would be nice but given PSN's direction lately, I wouldn't be surprised if they put it behind the PlayStationPlus subscription wall. And yes, I know the XBLA crowd is singing "cry me a river" right now.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Please let it be a single player demo (if a demo ever comes).
Falseprophet said:
A demo would be nice but given PSN's direction lately, I wouldn't be surprised if they put it behind the PlayStationPlus subscription wall.
And there go my hopes.

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
They would be smart to not release the demo. I played the xbox demo and it killed all excitement I had for that game. It was not fun at all for me.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
They´re still in time to release the demo. The game looks good to me, but i´m not buying it without trying it first.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I still don't understand the motivation to make platform exclusive demos, even if they're timed demos. As Camarillo says, you want as many people playing it as possible, so why pare down your audience - or worse, risk alienating large segments of it?

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
I think Crytek are being stupid now. They first dangle the carrot that is the Crysis 2 demo over the heads of the users of Xbox 360s stating it was going to be something amazing but then turned out to be really buggy and crashed alot showing how rotten the carrot was. They then went back to the fridge and pulled two fresh carrots and dangling them over PC and PS3 gamers heads saying the same thing.

I think they are getting desperate after that build was leaked.