EA Partners Could Be Bad News For EA

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Partners Could Be Bad News For EA

EA Partners has become a veritable "who's who" of the videogame industry, but at least one analyst thinks the growing list of high-profile games being published by EA [http://www.ea.com] represents bad news for investors.

Games published and/or distributed through the EA Partners program include Crysis and the upcoming Crysis Warhead by Epic Games [http://www.crytek.com/]. The impressive list will let EA stamp its name on some of the most anticipated and high-profile titles to be release in 2008 and 2009.

But it may also indirectly expose EA's soft underbelly, according to Edge [http://www.signalhill.com/] report.

"[EA Partners' arrangements] generate two things for EA: Sales - so it helps the top-line - and cash. But the deals are low-margin. EA is trying to get its margins up to 20-25 percent, and these deals negatively impact that," he said. "[These deals] make EA look more like a distributor than a developer of world-class titles. It's indicative of the fact that they are not able to develop enough of their own titles to meet their revenue and earnings goals, that they need to fill in the gaps with these distribution deals."

In what must be turning into a disturbing trend for EA executives, Greenwald went on to compare the company unfavorably to the new big boy on the block: Activision [http://www.activision.com]. "If they had their own properties, say like what Activision has, they wouldn't need these distribution deals," he said. "In the past they haven't, but for some reason now there's a big push. I can see that they want to leverage their marketing and distribution platform with other people's content, but from an investor's perspective, when you're dealing with operating margins and whatnot, these deals hurt those margins. It makes it a lot worse."

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
I think EA, as a publisher and a business concept, is absolutely incredible. By simply adding their little 'Challenge Everything' (or whatever it is nowadays) ident to the opening of a few popular titles; they've managed to become an industry-fuelling powerhouse. No one can deny that, even if they are haters of the brand.

donbueck

Aug 14, 2008
I agree, it's hard to look at the sheer marketing power of EA and then say it's a bad thing. There are lots of instances of companies making big-bucks from distributing other company's products.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
How can moving to distibution be a bad thing?
i) it gets EA away from developing games.
ii) relatively low cost, someone else has to dump millions into development.
iii) It's low risk, see above.
iv) IT GETS EA AWAY FROM DEVELOPING GAMES!

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
fix-the-spade post=7.68536.632154 said:
How can moving to distibution be a bad thing?
i) it gets EA away from developing games.
ii) relatively low cost, someone else has to dump millions into development.
iii) It's low risk, see above.
iv) IT GETS EA AWAY FROM DEVELOPING GAMES!
Patches require the publisher to do a large part of the QA testing. And unless they can charge for it the general awnser is: "no, make a new game instead"

You might get away with overinflated sales the first or maybe a second time but after that you will go down because you can't maintain your product and as soon as ea notices they can't reliably milk your series anymore they will ditch you before you can say "support"

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
They also have quite a few interesting titles coming out this year, Battlefield Heroes, Mirrors Edge, Dead Space and Dragon Age. No, I think EA is doing just fine when it comes to money.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s post=7.68536.634187 said:
So hang on, EA's a publisher, and them publishing games is somehow a bad thing? Does...not...compute...
That's what I'm thinking. Hasn't EA always been a major publisher, and let other companies develop?

Still, I do find it funny that Activision is the new EA now...

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
stompy post=7.68536.636490 said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s post=7.68536.634187 said:
So hang on, EA's a publisher, and them publishing games is somehow a bad thing? Does...not...compute...
That's what I'm thinking. Hasn't EA always been a major publisher, and let other companies develop?

Still, I do find it funny that Activision is the new EA now...
They make more money by publishing a game they developed themselves. It's um...trying to think of a gamer analogy...the difference between scoring a kill yourself on Call of Duty 4 and scoring an assist. That's a gross generalization, but basically the guy is saying that all they're doing is making assists and not scoring any kills themselves. Activision, with the juggernaut that is Blizzard now under their control, will be making more money than EA because they are supposedly making the kills. So he's predicting which company is going to be more successful in the long run.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
L.B. Jeffries post=7.68536.638531 said:
They make more money by publishing a game they developed themselves. It's um...trying to think of a gamer analogy...the difference between scoring a kill yourself on Call of Duty 4 and scoring an assist. That's a gross generalization, but basically the guy is saying that all they're doing is making assists and not scoring any kills themselves. Activision, with the juggernaut that is Blizzard now under their control, will be making more money than EA because they are supposedly making the kills. So he's predicting which company is going to be more successful in the long run.
Thanks, I get it now. I'd say that I didn't need the analogy, but obviously I do. Anyways, thanks.

In light of this, I suppose that EA should focus on getting more games out. Unfortunately, this'll most likely mean that we get more Madden-esque games, instead of the new leaf they seemed to have turned. It's a shame, since they seem to lose either way.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
According to Forbes, Electronic Arts is expect to report losses of $US 111 million (33 cents per share) for the quarter ending June 30th
So maybe they could use some restructuring in their business model ie being distributor as mentioned above .

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
stompy post=7.68536.639269 said:
Thanks, I get it now. I'd say that I didn't need the analogy, but obviously I do. Anyways, thanks.
Sorry if it was overkill, I think it was mostly for my own edification. Been playing it online waaay too much...