Now You Can Drive A Car With Your Mind

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Now You Can Drive A Car With Your Mind

Science fiction takes one step closer to being science fact ...

You've gotta love the folks at AutoNOMOS Labs in Germany. In the past, the team created a system that let folks drive cars with their iPhones, but this new project is even cooler. Now, AutoNOMOS has revealed "BrainDriver", a project that lets people drive cars with their brainwaves.

The research team designed a computer system that could, with the aid of a sensor headset, be taught to read the electromagnetic signals in a person's brain. At the moment, the system is pretty basic: A person can only make the car turn left/right, accelerate, and brake. As you can see in the video, there's still a bit of lag time between a driver thinking about what they want the car to do and the car actually doing it.

At the moment, BrainDriver clearly isn't ready to go on the road, but it's certainly an amazing first step for an extremely ambitious project. Once they perfect the mind control setup, I hope AutoNOMOS decides to tackle the challenge of making cars fly.

Source: <a href=http://jalopnik.com/#!5764105/german-researchers-drive-car-with-their-minds>Jalopnik

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Hopy shit.
I... I live in the future. The future is happening in my lifetime.

This is so awesome.

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
Pretty damn cool, but I don't think that would ever be a viable alternative. I wouldn't trust having people driving cars without the reliable, tactile system of physical controls.

People already have enough of a problem with trying to multitask while driving, freeing up your hands completely seems irresponsible. At least until the whole system of travel become a whole lot safer and transport is done in giant bubbles that suffer no damage if you run into stuff going 100mph.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
vansau said:
Science fiction takes one step closer to being science fact At the moment, the system is pretty basic: A person can only make the car turn left/right, accelerate, and break.
Emphasis mine. Should be "brake", in this context.

Also, this sounds very interesting. Keep getting reminded of how fast technology is advancing.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
OhJohnNo said:
vansau said:
Science fiction takes one step closer to being science fact At the moment, the system is pretty basic: A person can only make the car turn left/right, accelerate, and break.

Also, this sounds very interesting. Keep getting reminded of how fast technology is advancing.
Got it, thanks man.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Monkfish Acc. said:
Hopy shit.

This is so awesome.
You've been living in the future ever since a Robot killed a man when it was told to.

These exist, and have been seeing combat since 2006.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Fucking awesome! May not be as in a stage where it can be used commercialy...The future is here!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
OhJohnNo said:
vansau said:
Should it? Well, you'd hope so, but...

Anyways, this sort of thing isn't new...when I was a kid they had simple brainwave sensing stuff...they could have stuck it on a car, but why would you want to? Ok, lets assume you are a quadriplegic...why not attach sensors to the muscles you can still control, like they've also been doing for years?

Anarchemitis said:
Monkfish Acc. said:
Hopy shit.

This is so awesome.
You've been living in the future ever since a Robot killed a man when it was told to.

These exist, and have been seeing combat since 2006.
Eh...various robotic weapons systems have been around forever. Hell, in WW2, the Allies used remote controlled flying bombs. Ok, the one that actually hit the target somehow didn't explode, but still. Radar, mechanised warfare, subs, cruise missiles, submachine guns...the future was already there back then.

DevilWolf47

Nov 29, 2010
This is a terrible idea. Any brainwave abnormalities could end in a crash. You would only be able to drive the thing while you are wide awake and focused. If you're exhausted, hopped up on caffeine, or stupid, you won't be able to steer the damn thing.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
In unrelated (honest!) news, the amount of attractive woman/shoe shops/billboards struck by cars has gone up 100%

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
This will be so great for handicapped people, you know like it would allow quadriplegic people to drive, or if it goes even further a more comfortable way of maneuvering they're wheelchairs, it would also be great for people that have no arms.
This is most definitely an important advance in technology!

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I don't think, this is such a good idea. I can imagine now what might happen:
"Wow she's got a nice as- OH SHIT!!!"