Activision Co-Founder Says Anti-Activision Sentiment is "A Little Bit Strong"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Activision Co-Founder Says Anti-Activision Sentiment is "A Little Bit Strong"

Activision [http://www.activision.com] co-founder Alan Miller thinks the anti-Activision sentiment so prevalent among gamers these days is "a little bit strong," saying that a lot of people don't understand just how tough it is to be a major game publisher.

It's no secret that a lot of gamers don't like Activision or its oft-blunt CEO Bobby Kotick, well known to many as the man who Miller [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94711-Bobby-Kotick-Wants-to-Take-the-Fun-Out-of-Making-Games], a game designer who left Atari to co-found Activision in 1979 and then moved on to launch Accolade in 1984, thinks a lot of gamers fail to appreciate the hard business side of the publishing game and the need to ensure that its releases remain profitable.

"Well, I think it's a little bit strong, that reaction," he said about the widespread antipathy directed toward Kotick and Activision. "It's very difficult to be a games publisher - your objective is to make enough money to continue in the business and make new games. I know they're not a very extravagant company; I know several people that work there who don't have plush offices - and they try to create wonderful products."

"But as a publisher, you're taking the risk - and it's not just the development risk, it's also the marketing risk," he continued. "It's a very expensive proposition, and you don't have the luxury of putting products into the market that you don't think are going to perform and be profitable."

Activision's decision to pull the plug on the abused [http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Hero-Warriors-Bundle-Xbox-360/dp/B003N65DFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298309183&sr=8-1]" in its effort to maximize short-term profits, was actually a reflection of a more fundamental shift in the game industry from retail to digital distribution, Miller said. "Guitar Hero specifically had a big problem in that it required pretty expensive peripheral prices to really enjoy it - and that's a much more viable sale at retail, where the peripheral can sit right next to the box," he explained. "It's hard, in my opinion, to get a lot of the more casual players to spend $100 for a guitar, just to play a game."

It's a valid position, although I think it overlooks more obvious factors in the decline of Guitar Hero and the music genre as a whole, like the largely intractable problem with saturation. On his wider point, however, he's dead on; games may be art but Activision is a business, with quarterly profit statements and shareholders to keep happy. Gamers may not like how Bobby Kotick rolls but his shareholders do and at the end of the day, that's what counts.

Source: GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-02-21-anti-activision-angst-a-bit-strong-miller]

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
I'd like to think we should be holding "corporate citizens" to higher standards than just "make as much profit as you can". I raise this as a more general issue than just Activision.

To draw a parallel, I suppose it is each our individual drive to secure as much personal success and happiness in our own lives as we can. However, we do expect more from people than just a shameless, callous pursuit of this goal. We still have expectations of someone we run into on the street beyond just the bare legal responsibilities we all share. You could call someone names to their face and actively try to sabotage their reputation with their coworkers to secure your own future, but if you did, you'd be a rotten jerk for doing so.

There's plenty of wiggle room within the parameters of daily life for being a rotten jerk, just like there's plenty of room within the legal framework for a company to be irresponsible and prickish. Being a responsible (corporate) citizen is not legally mandated, but it is something we as a society (should) encourage and even expect.

Apr 28, 2008
To quote Shamus Young:

Shamus said:
If Bobby gets in ten fights with ten different kids, and if Bobby is the biggest kid in the class, it's a pretty safe bet he's a bully, not the victim.
Activision raked in about Two billion dollars in the last 2 years with Call of Duty alone. This isn't mentioning Blizzard, which most likely accounts for a very large contributor to profits. What with Starcraft 2, World of Warcraft, Cataclysm, and the upcoming, pretty much guaranteed to sell millions Diable 3.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I find it interesting how many games that Activision has their hands on seem to never get any patches after being published. It's like once they're released, they are forgotten.

What about that mess with Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines? They were the publishers and made it release at the same time as Half Life 2. What dumbass thought that was a good idea?

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Oh activision we have a reason we hate you perhaps if you tryed fixing it and killed kotick then we could start building friendship now sure it may seem like a hard feat but it can be done.

P.S. I still refuse to buy any activision games

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Hmm... forgive me to resorting to Godwin's Law this early in the thread, but that statement is kinda similar to saying "Hitler was only a little bit of a dickhead"

EDIT=worth stating Activision that we don't hate you, just Kotick- turn that greasy little rat out on his arse, make a couple of games proving that your free of his malign influence and all will be forgiven.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
My dad always had a saying, "Little business, little criminal. Big business, big criminal." Being a business, their main goal is to turn a maximum profit and over charging is just the easiest way to do it. Sure it upsets some people, but if you want the product bad enough your probably gonna buy it. Or in in todays standards, ***** about it on Facebook/blog/forum, sit around moping about it, and then buy it.

Also evil is awesome~! Keep being a evil large business Activision :D

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
OK, Activision. You stop screwing us around, get a CEO who isn't the spawn of Satan, and I'll cut you some slack... M'kay pumpkin?

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Man, if only they had the money to pick up a PR firm that knew what they were doing instead of letting their suits antagonize the customer base with business logic.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I don't hate Activision...i hate the person who is in charge of it.

I mean hell, the published a game i love, Transformers WFC, so they can do some good, they just need to get rid of the devils son!

BaronVH

Oct 22, 2009
I could care less about Guitar Hero, but it is interesting that his comments fail to mention the Call of Duty issue. If it really is about the money, then the lawsuits certainly will be interesting. Everybody seems to have forgotten how they treated Double Fine as well. They completed a game and Activision decide to sit on it and not release it at all. And it was a fun game, too. It used to be everybody hated EA, but with the boneheaded decisions Activision has made, it is a wonder their top brass still has a job. At least they have sense enough to allow Blizzard free reign.

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
and here we can just let Valve the poster child of good publishing to take the stage.
they keep releasing quality, innovative products while both being great at PR , support and other stuff for the customers and they give out FREE DLC which is a giant bonus.

they do all this and keep being profitable.

so i ask you Activision , guy who co found it , whats Activisions problem with doing exactly that if its current buisness plan is both Evil and horrible to customers.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
The issue most gamers have with Activision is that Activision goes too far in its efforts to make more profit, everything it does these days is linked to the bottom line ... I am suprised they aint selling the bloody patches to the buggy games.

Blizzard made its money selling top quality goods, players were happy to buy a Blizzard game as it represented value for money... since joining with Activision , Blizzard has taken on a more profiteering attitude ( selling mounts , pets , more services , splitting up SC 2 into 3 , rumours of trying to get Blizzard games onto consoles ).

Activision are getting too greedy, at the cost of innovation and keeping gamers happy. Activision will promise you everything, until you fork over the cash then its screw you till next installation.
Games do not cost as much as Activision, EA etc etc like you to think , what really ramps up the costs is the marketing and gimmicks required to pass a generic and repetitive product as new and exciting.
Look at the indie scene , some great looking and fun games at a fraction of the cost of a AAA title... so who care if some well known actor is voicing a NPC in the game, why pay him millions if a decent talented voice actor can do as well.
Do you really need to spend millions on all those opening parties and extravigant publicity stunts to sell a game ?
Blizzard would only have to whisper Diable III and everyone would be frothing at the mouth in anticipation.
Not because of the mad marketing and publicity stunts, but because players enjoyed Diablo 2 so much ... that was value for money and they are ready for more.
CoD on the other hand is overplayed, milked out and needs the artificial support of hype and marketing.