Nintendo Unveils Western 3DS Launch Lineup

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Nintendo Unveils Western 3DS Launch Lineup

If the idea of playing with a puppy after a few hours of being a submarine commander sounds appealing, then the 3DS is probably the handheld for you.

Nintendo has revealed the definitive launch lineup for the 3DS in the West. Whereas previously there was an ill defined "launch window," with some games available at the same time as the hardware and others coming not long after, Nintendo has now finalized the list of games that will be on shelves at the same time as the 3DS.

There are three first party titles launching the with the device: Pilotwings Resort, the submarine game Steel Diver, and the pet-simulator, Nintendogs + Cats. There are also a number of other Nintendo-made games due out later this year, like 3D remakes of Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 64, and new Kid Icarus and Mario Kart titles.

As well as the three first party games, Nintendo has secured a number of games from third party publishers like EA, Ubisoft, and Konami. The list includes:

• [li]Super Street Fighter 4 3D Edition[/li]
    [li]The Sims 3[/li]
    [li]Madden NFL Football[/li]
    [li]Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D [/li]
    [li]Lego Star Wars 3: The Clone Wars [/li]
    [li]Ridge Racer 3D [/li]
    [li]Super Monkey Ball 3D[/li]
    [li]Bust-A-Move Universe[/li]
    [li]Samurai Warriors: Chronicles[/li]
    [li]Asphalt 3D [/li]
    [li]Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D[/li]
    [li]Rayman 3D [/li]
    [li]Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars[/li]

Nintendo said that there would be a "steady and diverse" stream of content for the 3DS, and that around a dozen more games would come out before E3 in June. Nintendo has also confirmed the suggested retail price for 3DS games will be a penny short of forty bucks.

The 3DS launches on March 27th in North America, and March 25th in Europe.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Nothing for me at launch, I see.

They want my money?

Have Konami announce another "Metroidvania" game on the DS. I will buy a 3DS just for that. Months in advance.

I loved all the Castlevania games on DS.

Or just announce Super Metroid 3D.

Who am I kidding? I'll buy it the moment Atlus starts shoving it's usual JRPG support. Devil Survivor 3DS ain't enough right now. And I'll buy it at a new Pokemon generation.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Starfox 64 for the 3DS seems like the only one I'd be interested in. I see I can wait and actually save up for it this time.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
I'm definitely going to get a 3DS, but I'll probably wait until there are more games for it that I want. So it's probably not going to be a launch day purchase for me.

Although I 'm glad to hear the price for the games is fairly reasonable.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Well; my 5 year old DS is on it's last legs, ao despite the poor launch line up I'll have a 3ds as soon as I can get my hands on it. Doubtless, Pokémon Black is the only thing that I will play on it for a while but as soon as some of the real nintendo games start to come out, I'll be all over them.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
I got a DSi about a month before the 3DS was announced. Price+Meh Launch Titles=No buy for me. Maybe when my DSi takes a dump I'll get it.

Seriin

Jun 4, 2009
While I am impressed with the Canadian price being the same as the American (I was thinking they'd jack it up to 279-299 cause they do that here), there just isn't much out at launch to draw me in. I know that I will get one eventually, but I'm glad I can wait for a bit.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I'll get it when the next Pokemon game comes (after Black and White) out or they do another Golden Sun game (despite as slightly underwhelming the recent DS sequal was).

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
The 3DS launches on March 27th in North America, and March 25th in Europe.
Ha, beating you to it!!

It seems like I'll wait to get this until X-mas. From being super-excited 2 months ago to this? How could Nintendo screw it up so badly?? Region locking, bad battery life, poor lineup, expensive hardware (nice software though). Hopefully the 3DS mini (they can't call it lite again, can they?) will fix these problems.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Man, the only game(s) I would want to play is the new Kid Icarus and I want to know more about the Mario Kart game.

Good thing I decided to wait later this year to get mine. Hopefully somewhere around the end of 2011, the 3DS will be on sale. That and Paper Mario comes out as well.

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
There is absolutely nothing there to get me to buy it.

Maybe it needs time to build up a steady supply of games, but launching a systems without any real hard hitters, like a Metroid, Legend of Zelda, Mario, or even Pokemon, seems like a huge mistake.

We'll see what happens, I guess.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
I feel everybody's dissapointment over the launch lineup...my saving grace is the fact that I've never played Rayman 2, so I'm actually quite excited to be picking that up on launch day, but for those of you who have played one of the iterations of the game, (of which I hear there are too many) there's nothing truly exciting that I see here. SSF4 is a sure thing, but so many have so much time invested in a console version that I don't think they'll want to learn to have to switch back and forth between the two. Maybe Pilot Wings will turn out to be exceptional...who knows. I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews for games on the handheld, and I'm definitely looking forward to OOT, SF64, Paper Mario, Mario Kart, MGS3, Phoenix Wright, etc.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
are.you.the.god.its.me.vader said:
I think I'll wait until the prices comes down. There's just not enough "great" launch games to justify the price.
I think I'll wait until the 'Lite' version rolls around, 'cause apparently this one's gonna have a max battery life of 5 hours.

Feb 3, 2009
Magnalian said:
are.you.the.god.its.me.vader said:
I think I'll wait until the prices comes down. There's just not enough "great" launch games to justify the price.
I think I'll wait until the 'Lite' version rolls around, 'cause apparently this one's gonna have a max battery life of 5 hours.
That's a really good point, 5 hours is just crap. Maybe we should just wait for the XL version?

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
Rayman 3D? Really, Rayman? Is that just a filler title for another Rabbids game? You sure it's not just another Rabbid game? Ubisoft loves their minigame collections starring their evil bunny creatures.

I'm not touching another monkeyball game until they sit down and decide exactly what they want to do with their lives; too many have either been poorly implemented from the start or changed from aspects that worked fine out of the determined sake of changing and it's never for the better.