Real World Where's Waldo Fills Seattle Neighborhood

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Real World Where's Waldo Fills Seattle Neighborhood

Two friends have made the dreary winter world of Seattle a little brighter by bringing the pages of Where's Waldo to life in their neighborhood.

When I lived in Washington, a saying I regularly overheard was "Seattle's rainy season is January 1st to December 31st." Anyone who's lived in the area can testify that the rain gets particularly heavy during this time of year, so a couple of college friends decided to do their part to make things a little more lively in the city: they created a real-life version of <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Wheres-Complete-Collection-Martin-Handford/dp/0763641677/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298417097&sr=8-1>Where's Waldo?

The project is called "SeaWaldo" and it's a month-old project that's equal parts street art, community-building, and urban scavenger hunt. Basically, two guys have spent a lot of their free time drawing and coloring over 100 Waldo characters by hand. After that, they cut the characters out and placed them all over the Capitol Hill neighborhood (location examples include building walls, lamp-posts, and dumpsters). The project's gaining a fair amount of local attention, including the news report seen here.

The men behind the project have asked not to be identified because they feel SeaWaldo isn't about them, it's about something bigger. Personally, I'm kind of hoping the guys get some help and are able to expand their operation to other areas of the city. If nothing else, this is certainly a great way for some creative nerds to improve their local community.

Source: SeaWaldo via <a href=http://capitolhill.komonews.com/news/community-spirit/hiding-plain-sight-waldo-friends-storm-seattle-urban-scavenger-hunt/622609>KOMO 4

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
It's Where's Wally! Why does the US have to change everything?

OT: Neat little idea actually. Surprised it hasn't been done before.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
And as we all know his real name is Wally...:3

Cool project, I certainly wouldn't have patiance to either make the characters and place them in different places, nor look for them :p

Kudos to them though.

EDIT: Curses, my plan spoiled again to be first with Wally :3

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Adzma said:
What kind of name's Waldo? What's up with that?

I've always wanted to go to a big concert like Glastonbury dressed as Where's Wally?, and look for myself in videos and photos of the crowd when I get home.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Adzma said:

OT: Neat little idea actually. Surprised it hasn't been done before.
Actually it's name is changed in lots of places. In France it's called Where's Charlie I believe. It's real name is indeed Wally though, because it's a British illustrator.
[link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where's_Wally%3F#Characters[/link]

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
First things first: The bit about it being rainy in Seattle all the time is bullshit. It's rainy from late autumn through winter and into spring, but the summers here are exquisite and seriously, go look at the charts, many places like Atlanta get more annual rainfall than Seattle.

Secondly, Capitol Hill is fun neighborhood: I lived there for 4 years. Very urban, very hip, very chic. Also very pedestrian oriented-- I doubt this sort of thing would've taken off in other places where urban areas are less condensed. Somebody should try this in London (or somewhere else in Europe), because out side of Seattle, it probably wouldn't work in many American cities.

And Third, who give a flip about what the 'real' name is? In America, the books they are based on are "Where's Waldo [http://www.amazon.com/Wheres-Complete-Collection-Martin-Handford/dp/0763641677/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298422607&sr=8-1]". If someone in England or France used 'Waldo', then you'd have something to be irritated about. Since this happened in the USA, not so much.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
I thought this would be a picture of a gathering of people randomly doing funny stuff and a guy dress like Wally/Waldo somewhere, i was kinda dissapointed but that is cool too.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
solidstatemind said:
And Third, who give a flip about what the 'real' name is? In America, the books they are based on are "Where's Waldo [http://www.amazon.com/Wheres-Complete-Collection-Martin-Handford/dp/0763641677/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298422607&sr=8-1]". If someone in England or France used 'Waldo', then you'd have something to be irritated about. Since this happened in the USA, not so much.
I concur pretty much, did you Canada ALSO used Waldo? What's up with people fishing for things to insult America about?

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I hope that last character picture was only supposed to be a Wally impersonator, and not the actual Wally, because he doesn't look anything like the real thing.

Which, in turn, begs the obvious question:

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
bushwhacker2k said:
solidstatemind said:
I concur pretty much, did you Canada ALSO used Waldo? What's up with people fishing for things to insult America about?
You took that as an insult? Seriously? It's just odd seeing it as Waldo dude.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Capitol Hill doesn't deserve it's reputation at all. Art Walk, block parties, cool music shows and now this. Seems everything cool that happens in the city happens in Capitol Hill. Screw Ballard!

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
So did they actually ever draw Wally himself? or is it some giant joke that they've got people scouring the entire city looking for one particular drawing that isn't even there?

That'd sure make me chuckle a bit falling asleep every night. No wonder they don't want to reveal their names.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
dogstile said:
bushwhacker2k said:
solidstatemind said:
Adzma said:
I was referring to the above quote.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
bushwhacker2k said:
dogstile said:
bushwhacker2k said:
solidstatemind said:
Adzma said:
My point stands, that's not an insult

Oct 14, 2010
dogstile said:
bushwhacker2k said:
dogstile said:
bushwhacker2k said:
solidstatemind said:
Adzma said:
My point stands, that's not an insult
Are you implying that we Americans are easily insulted? How insulting!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
It makes me wonder if they have permission to do this (I hit the link and just got a bunch of their pics). I say this because of their desire to remain anonymous, and also the reaction to things like the whole "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" stunt years ago.

Cool idea, I just hope it doesn't backfire.

LostNumber

Jul 17, 2009
solidstatemind said:
First things first: The bit about it being rainy in Seattle all the time is bullshit. It's rainy from late autumn through winter and into spring, but the summers here are exquisite and seriously, go look at the charts, many places like Atlanta get more annual rainfall than Seattle
I agree. Here in Vancouver we have the same reputation, but most days are just overcast during the winter. The weather this winter had been especially good with very little rain (although we did get a little bit of snow today, which is pretty rare for this late into the winter).

OT: this is an awesome idea. If I lived in Seattle, I honestly think searching for Waldo would take over my life.