Valve Has Unreleased Submarine Game Floating Around

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009

Gabe Newell has revealed that one of Valve's earliest projects was a submarine game, and it might still come out someday.

On a recent episode of the SteamCast, a podcast dedicated to Valve, Gabe Newell was present to talk about the company's earliest projects. Contrary to what you may have thought, after Valve was founded the studio didn't sit right down and start making Half-Life [http://www.amazon.com/Half-Life-Pc/dp/B00000DMAE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1298474211&sr=8-6].

One game Valve envisioned before Half-Life was called Prospero, which was said to be a Myst [http://www.amazon.com/Myst-10th-Anniversary-DVD-Pc/dp/B0000AFWWH/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1298474495&sr=1-1]-inspired action-adventure game where the player used psionic powers. Unbeknownst to many, Valve also worked on a game even before Prospero, and it involved a submarine.

"Even further back than Prospero, the other game that Mike [Harrington] and I were talking about before we'd even had anybody other than us working on it was a submarine game," Newell said. "Mike was absolutely certain there was an opportunity to create fantastic underwater visuals and gameplay, so if people want to know the even furtherest back thing we have haven't gotten around to shipping yet it would have to be the unnamed submarine game."

Newell didn't offer any other details, but added that Valve never really cancels projects, it only shelves them for a potential revisit in the future. "It's just a question how long until we get around to doing it," he said of both Prospero and the submarine game. I wonder if that also applies to Valve's cancelled fairy RPG [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103065-Valve-Canceled-Fairy-RPG-to-Make-Left-4-Dead].

There have been some great submarine simulations released over the years, but nothing that's hit the mainstream like Valve's titles tend to. Valve has the sort of reputation where gamers will dive in to anything it releases, so even though it sounds like a major departure for the studio, if Valve wants to release a submarine game let's see what it can do.

Source: CVG [http://www.thesteamcast.com/]

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
... but added that Valve never really cancels projects, it only shelves them for a potential revisit in the future. ...
I think we have the answer to the EP3 Question... >.>

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
Finish Episode 3 first.

although a submarine game could be really fun in multilayer if done right.

Levi93

Oct 26, 2009
Seems pretty cool, but yeah as stated before, episode 3 first please.

OH and I saw that sneaky pun in the title!

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
Ha, episode 3? Duke Nukem Forever will come out before that!! Wait, what?

OT: Submarine game could be interesting. It doesn't even have to be a simulator. The sea is mysterious, like BioShock proved.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
I still remember having loads of fun with Silent Hunter back in the '90s and would be very interested to see Valve's take on a genre that hasn't gotten much love recently.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
If they ever do release it, I wonder what kind of hat it will unlock for TF2.

HankMan said:
Stop shooting pokemon and get back to making games Gabe!
Tom Goldman said:
I've got a sinking feeling this will come out before Episode 3.
Let's hope they don't submerge episode 3...

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
icyneesan said:

HankMan said:
Tom Goldman said:
Yeah lets hope episode 3 isnt all watery! and, wet?

I really messed that up didn't I?

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
People, people...

Episode 3 will be the submarine game.

Gordon is tired of those motherf*cking headcrabs on the motherf*cking sub!

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
thenumberthirteen said:
I would LOVE a submarine sim game. Particularly one by Valve. Perhaps a Bioshock-esque visual style?
Well there is that Silent Hunter series, they made 5 games already.
Not by Valve, but those games are freakishly accurate.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
Appropriate. Because at the bottom of the ocean is where the first finished copy of HL3 is.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
sravankb said:
imnotparanoid said:
icyneesan said:

HankMan said:
Tom Goldman said:

Why would you do this to the rest of us??!! You should all be ashamed of yourself.
Shall I g into the cuboard of failures :(

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
sravankb said:
imnotparanoid said:
icyneesan said:

HankMan said:
Tom Goldman said:

Why would you do this to the rest of us??!! You should all be ashamed of yourself.
I agree, that post should have had greater depth to it.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
I think they're just reminiscing. They are too bloated now (no offence to Gabe) to be able to take such creative risks. "Adventurous" game development is, in my opinion, similar to teenage love. It dies away and is replaced by something more practical, maybe even cynical. Blizzard used to be a teenager once too, then they made Starcraft and Diablo and never stopped milking. Valve is the same in many ways. It takes a very special kind of artistic flair to have a billion dollars in the bank and not have your brain rot away, but to be able to say "you know what, fuck it, we're gonna work on a submarine game and an action RPG about fairies and do our best to make them work". Tim Schafer has it, some weird Japanese guys have it... Gabe doesn't have it.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Mr.K. said:
thenumberthirteen said:
I would LOVE a submarine sim game. Particularly one by Valve. Perhaps a Bioshock-esque visual style?
Well there is that Silent Hunter series, they made 5 games already.
Not by Valve, but those games are freakishly accurate.
I've seen them, but I don't know if they're any good. Also I think Valve would put a good spin on the concept.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
There have been some great submarine simulations released over the years, but nothing that's hit the mainstream like Valve's titles tend to.
I am sorry, but as much as I love Valve as a developer, I would hesitate to call their games "mainstream". Nevertheless, it would be interesting to see a submarine sim from them, especially since it isn't exactly a saturated market nowadays.

What is up with these submarine games nowadays? First it was Nintendo with Steel Diver and now Valve with their own submarine game...