Rumor: 3DS Augmented Reality Lineup Leaked

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: 3DS Augmented Reality Lineup Leaked

The other two "games" are called Star Pics and Mii Pics. I use the term "games" loosely, because these are apparently just 3D figure viewers of characters like Mario and Link, and player-created Miis. Nintendo showed this off at previous events, and it's basically just a demo of the handheld's 3D capabilities.

Nintendo hasn't trumpeted augmented reality like you'd think it would with such an innovative experience, but maybe it's just waiting until consumers understand the concept better. These games are really one of the more interesting aspects of the system, so Nintendo ought to do more with them than just what we'll see at launch.

The Nintendo 3DS will be released in Japan on February 26, in Europe on March 25, in North America on March 27, and in Australia on March 31.

Source: Wired [http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/02/nintendo-3ds-ar-games/]

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
While I see a lot of potential in augmented reality games for the 3DS (stereoscopic 3D could be used to give AR objects a feeling of presence, thus making them appear as if they were a part of the real world), I think Nintendo didn't go far enough with these AR cards to truly make them a mass phenomenon. Specifically, I don't think any of them have enough content to make people play them more than a few times. I guess we will have to wait for a full AR blown game to fully utilise that potential.

HankMan said:
Australia's release date is only four days behind North America's? =/
Well, Nintendo did say that the 3DS would be released in all regions in this fiscal year and the 31st of March is the last day of the fiscal year.