Salt Lake City Gets Bombed in 2026

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Salt Lake City Gets Bombed in 2026

A video promoting THQ's Homefront vividly shows the future history of an American city before a Korean invasion.

Kaos Studios and THQ have really been trying to sell the concept behind the invasion of U.S. soil by Korean forces in Homefront. Set in 2027, America is weakened by economic collapse and is occupied by forces under the control of the son of current North Korean dictator, Kim Jong Il. Written by John Milius (Red Dawn, Apocalypse Now), Homefront allows the player to take part in an underground resistance movement against the Koreans. A new website for the game [http://www.homefront-game.com/occupation/] shows a map of the U.S. with different locations giving details on the occupation. The most evocative of which shows user-footage of the bombing of Salt Lake City, but the reverse terrorist video of guys in Montana forcing a Korean to speak against his government is pretty creepy too.

Homefront is due out March 8th in the US and March 18th in the EU on PS3, Xbox 360 and PC.

While I'm not sure how great the game is going to be, the marketing campaign and the concept of Homefront has me thoroughly intrigued. There's something tantalizing about turning the tables of an invasion on American soil as opposed to fighting overseas. The last war fought in this nation's territory was against ourselves, after all.

If your interested on how the game plays, check out Mr. Funk's hands-on with the multiplayer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/8313-Preview-Homefront]. Here's a trailer-ey roundup of all of the video content, but it's worth checking out the website to explore the nuances of the resistance movement.

Source: Homefront [http://www.homefront-game.com/occupation/]

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
And here was me thinking the Escapist had invented some sort of time traveling newspaper. Boy am I disappointed.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
I like the style of the trailers. No gameplay in them, and what I've seen of it it kinda looks generic, but I think they've done a good job with bringing in writers who give a shit. Lets just hope the game as a whole pulls it off...

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Every time they try to sell Homefront I feel less inclined to buy it. Oh wow Salt Lake City is bombed! I don't even know where that is. If they told me it was in Canada I'd believe it.

I'm Brazilian and you can only reply with information I should know about Salt Lake City if your post also includes at least twice as much information about Campinas, along with your non-wikipedia sources.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Why Salt Lake City? That's such a random city for Korea to take. I know it has a large population, but it basically has nothing of value (Unless you count their giant Churches and Large Salt Lake). Why wouldn't Korea go after, oh, Aspen? Hollywood? Disneyland?

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
They're not wrong. This stuff is genuinely chilling.

It makes me want to actually fight the North Koreans. If it weren't for the fact that, you know, it's a fictional universe, I'd grab a rifle, cross the Atlantic and lend a hand.

Igen

Apr 28, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
Why Salt Lake City? That's such a random city for Korea to take. I know it has a large population, but it basically has nothing of value (Unless you count their giant Churches and Large Salt Lake). Why wouldn't Korea go after, oh, Aspen? Hollywood? Disneyland?
perhaps they need the salt? really, its the middle of no where mountain desert. cant grow any thing out there. theres no military presence. the copper mines are almost spent. the winters are hell.

Waste of bombs if you ask me (and a huge @$%& waste of fuel just to fly that far inland for a bad target), much better targets to hit. port towns and military bases, perhaps cities where the population is known for fighting back (why do you think the city was built in a place no one else would want, we (yes we, I'm a member) walked away from fights and wanted to be left alone).

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
Igen said:
Mr.Mattress said:
perhaps they need the salt? really, its the middle of no where mountain desert. cant grow any thing out there. theres no military presence. the copper mines are almost spent. the winters are hell.

Waste of bombs if you ask me (and a huge @$%& waste of fuel just to fly that far inland for a bad target), much better targets to hit. port towns and military bases, perhaps cities where the population is known for fighting back (why do you think the city was built in a place no one else would want, we (yes we, I'm a member) walked away from fights and wanted to be left alone).
I sorta think that was the point. They wanted to make a horrifying statement, so why not do it on a city that strategically unimportant?

"We've levelled this city and executed any surviving male who was over 16, just because we could. Obey."

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
In related new, Homeland security has detained members of a suspected terrorist group known only as THQ for plans to bomb Salt Lake City. No details are currently available.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
The only reason I have even a passing interest in this game is because the single screenshot I saw had a police riot guy in some really sweet armor.

Well, that and I would like a game that FINALLY has America be invaded. Needs to happen more often. Also, I think Fox News is going to explode.

First video games make rapists, but now they turn people into Korean-loving America-haters! This is the plan! Video game developers want to take over the world, and they're using you, the gamers, to turn against the most powerful and super awesome nation in the entire universe! Fight it! RESIST WITH YOUR BURNING AMERICAN JUSTICE!

Slavik_91

May 2, 2009
I'm going to be very disappointed if you can't play as the KPA on the SP. Call me a monster but I like seeing the US getting it's ass handed to them (on a videogame......mostly :p).

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
wow...I feel kind of dirty after having watching those. The bombing looked like crap but it's only an advert. The second video wasn't much better. Kinda disturbing. I've said on another thread that I think 'fun' shooters are coming back because of an over-saturation of serious shooters. This could be the one that makes people say 'ENOUGH!!' for better or for worse.

Speaking of fun shooters, Where's that Saint's Row 3 announcement?

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
I think the video that was the most chilling of them all was the man who resorted to suicide bombing in California.

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
The Random One said:
Every time they try to sell Homefront I feel less inclined to buy it. Oh wow Salt Lake City is bombed! I don't even know where that is. If they told me it was in Canada I'd believe it.

I'm Brazilian and you can only reply with information I should know about Salt Lake City if your post also includes at least twice as much information about Campinas, along with your non-wikipedia sources.
Its near salt lake and its a city, thats all most us Usians know about it too, maybe they will dirty bomb Charleston next Oh NO!