Schafer Explains Move From Brutal Legend to Sesame Street

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Schafer Explains Move From Brutal Legend to Sesame Street

Double Fine wasn't necessarily out to create a Sesame Street game, things just ended up that way.

The reveal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107784-No-Joke-Double-Fine-Tackling-Sesame-Street-Kinect-Game] of Double Fine's newest project, Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster, was a big surprise. The studio isn't known for licensed titles, and I don't think anyone expected a Sesame Street game to land at its doorstep. In an interview with Gamasutra, Double Fine's Tim Schafer and the game's project lead Nathan Martz reveal how the collaboration occurred.

While developing Kinect [http://www.amazon.com/Brutal-Legend-Xbox-360/dp/B000XJNTPG/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IEUSUMRGTE82X&colid=2ZZAJ80YTMQH9] functionality.

When Warner Bros. announced that it had acquired the Sesame Street license [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97459-Sesame-Street-Returns-to-Edu-Gaming] for videogames, it was perfect timing, and Double Fine was able to hammer out a deal. As explained by Schafer and Martz, the Sesame Workshop and Double Fine make a great team due to the "secret" humor of Sesame Street. Schafer says: "You watch the videos of the [Sesame Street] shows, and they're really, really funny. They're satirical -- they don't just make bland shows for kids, they make them actually funny."

Double Fine wants parents and kids to play and enjoy Once Upon a Monster together, just like they would watch the show which has references and content designed for both. Martz calls the game a "force for good," also like the show, and hopes it'll prove that quality games don't all have to be about violent space marines. Schafer adds that it can "still be funny" too.

Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster is planned for release in fall 2011.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6295/capturing_the_spirit_of_sesame_.php]

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
You know what? Good for Double Fine. Good for them for looking at a licence and going "We can actually make an enjoyabe game for everyone." Good for them for being different.

More power to them. And good luck to them =)

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Does this mean there will finally be an EC rated game that doesn't bore 3 year olds and adults alike? [sub]Seriously, have any of you guys ever played an EC rated game? They're usually the shovelware to end all shovelware.[/sub]

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Daemascus said:
Not what i expected... I was kinda hopeing for brutal legend 2
Schafer has said multiple times that he plans on shelving a sequel to create other games.

OT: Interesting.

Antidrall

Mar 16, 2010
ShaggyEdiddy214 said:
Daemascus said:
Not what i expected... I was kinda hopeing for brutal legend 2
Are we the only 2 sane people in the world?In fact I heard they cancelled making Brutal Legend 2
From what I heard, it wasn't their choice. EA didn't see a future in it so they pulled the plug. I want to see it too. not because I'm a metalhead, that's my brother, I loved the concept of being in an RTS where you aren't an omnipotent jackhat sipping coffee and sending soldiers to their doom. I hope Schafer will be able to bring some humor to this game.

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
I used to watch Sesame St as a kid and if I had kids now I would probably consider getting them a game like this. A good studio should be diverse, and not rely on churning out the same old idea to survive (i.e. CoD, or FF)

-Zen- said:
Dude.

Super Sesame Street Fighter

Imagine the possibilities.
haha indeed... clever title

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
I find it really interesting how positively this news has been taken. How many studios who've handled AAA titles could announce a Sesame Street game and be greeted with smiles? Proof of Double Fine's quirky brand.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Im dissapointed that it isn't Brutal Legend 2, I won't buy this, but I'm confident it will be a good game. Which in turn will make them money and allow them to make Brutal Legend 2, huzzah!