NEStalgia Takes 8-Bit RPGs Online

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
NEStalgia Takes 8-Bit RPGs Online

Silk Games' NEStalgia can be compared to World of Warcraft meets Dragon Warrior.

A new free-to-play online RPG recently launched that takes the MMOs of today and swaps out their 3D graphics for the 8-bit sprites of the NES. NEStalgia looks just like Final Fantasy [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Warrior-Nes/dp/B0002ST1YQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1298586430&sr=1-1], but can be played online with other people and has a feature set like that of modern games.

Players start by choosing a class. These include the ranger, soldier, cleric, and wizard. You can customize the look of your 8-bit character, choosing sex, hair color, head type, body type, and the colors of your clothing. Subscribing for $9 a year, or $20 for life, gives extra features like fast travel, more customization options through masks and dyes, and extra classes like the ninja and warlock.

The player begins as a newbie that teleports into the world. Mysteriously, you become the target of assassins right away. Go figure. NEStalgia's battles are turn-based, with players attacking and casting spells against 8-bit enemies.

The game has plenty of quests that send players to kill "X" amount of foes, but additionally some involve capturing crabs or fetching items. There are tons of rare items to collect, including varied types of weapons and armor. Players will also have to solve puzzles and can play mini-games.

Not only is teaming up with others possible, but players can create their own guilds just like in MMOs such as World of Warcraft [http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Battle-Chest-Mac/dp/B000H96C9M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1298585294&sr=8-2]. If you want to play by yourself, that's okay too.

NEStalgia is definitely a great online title for the nostalgic gamer. With a ton of content and a charming 8-bit world, you just can't go wrong.

Source: Indie Games [http://silkgames.com/nestalgia/index.php]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I have no nostalgia for 8-bit RPGs, as I started RPGs with the PS1.

But even I want to play this. And I think that I will. :)

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Is this free to play, but the bonuses cost money? Or pay to play? If it's free I would try it.
Also, can we have captchas that actually seem like human speech so I know if I'm spelling it correctly?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Seems quite interesting indeed. Although I grew up with 16-bit RPGs, it looks like it could be fun. Free to play and yearly and for life subscriptions looks good in my book. I'll check it out when I get bored of Bulletstorm.

I just hope the game is simple enough to actually play it with a controller (using Xpadder), you know, for nostalgia factor.

Stilt-Man

Dec 31, 2009
Wow, this looks pretty interesting. Can't beat the subscription price, either. Wow. Definitely worth a look.

Twuk

Dec 18, 2010
Hmm..I may need to give this a try. I just hope it isn't point and click. I think that would just kind of kill the whole idea.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Furioso said:
Is this free to play, but the bonuses cost money? Or pay to play? If it's free I would try it.
Also, can we have captchas that actually seem like human speech so I know if I'm spelling it correctly?
Free to play, but if you want some extra goodies you can pay some cash

Retosa

Jul 10, 2010
This would've been a LOT more awesome if it was 16 bit. Mmmm, that might be something to try to create a project for. World of SNESCraft, or SNESTic, the 16 Bit MMO.

Though, I will very likely check this out.

Johnnyallstar said:
Furioso said:
Free to play, but if you want some extra goodies you can pay some cash
Ninja'd, damn. :)

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Pretty sure I sort-of predicted this a week or two ago ... but I don't know if there's any public record of it. May have been in an MSN conversation.

Kinda cool to see it happen For Reals though. I eagerly await the fruition of the further development of my idea: text-console-compatible Nethack style MMORPGs.
(Which I suppose are, like mumorpuggers themselves, just a development of the old MUD/MUCK/MOOs)

Caer Seraphim

Mar 1, 2011
Oh wow. I frequent this site, but I never noticed the NEStalgia article. Well, awesome! You can find me dying in the trailer. ;)

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
...A BYOND game with a trailer? My, people are starting to feel important, aren't they?

I haven't been on BYOND in years...there are craploads of games like NEStalgia on BYOND, though.

ionveau said:
This game is going to be so easy to hack i bet it can be done with a cheat engine
The only way to 'hack' BYOND is to have a save file editor, the save files, and the host files. Basically, it isn't going to happen unless you're the host...and generally cheating gets you banned horribly if you do it in games like NEStalgia. If you do it in single player games, noone really cares too much.