Sony Paves Way for NGP With PSP Price Cut

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sony Paves Way for NGP With PSP Price Cut

Sony has lowered the barrier of entry for the PSP and some of its top games.

Now that the PSP [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107394-Sony-Uploads-Entire-PSP2-Conference-Online-in-HD] to make room. What better way than with a sizable price cut?

Sony has announced that on February 27 the new price of the PSP core pack will be reduced from $169.99 to $129.99. PSP bundles such as this one that features Hannah Montana [http://www.amazon.com/PSP-Limited-Hannah-Montana-Entertainment-Sony/dp/B001TOMR16/ref=sr_1_11?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1298653427&sr=1-11] will drop from $199.99 to $159.99. That's a $40 system price cut across the board.

Game-wise, Sony is also adding a bunch of new titles to its $19.99 "Greatest Hits" and $9.99 "Favorites" lines. New "Greatest Hits" will include Tomb Raider Anniversary [http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-Creed-Bloodlines-Sony-PSP/dp/B002BS47WG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1298654093&sr=8-1].

The NGP's capabilities are set to totally blow the PSP out of the water, but there are still some fun experiences to be had on Sony's current handheld if you haven't picked it up yet. Thanks to these price cuts, now those experiences will cost a few dozen less simoleons.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Oh HELL yes.

Perfect time for me to buy another PSP. :p

Fun Fact: I already have 2. :p

xXDeMoNiCXx

Mar 10, 2010
This actually seems pretty good. Gold star Sony. :p Now all you have to do is put Crisis Core on the PSN store!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
That's a really large price cut. I bought my PSP-3000 used for $120 about 3 months ago. Thankfully, it was basically new.

Still, I wish I'd waited.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
My PSP just recently broke, so if the price cut's I'm heading to GAME before you can say "OMFGTEHPSPSUCKZORS!!!"

PS : I really like the PSP, I think the screen is'nt that bad and the games are good (And this is coming from someone who needs glasses)

PPS : Gold star Sony, now all you have to do is add Silent Hill and Dead Or Alive : beach Volleyball to the PSN Store and then I'll probally but 3.

Mr Binary

Jan 24, 2011
Good thing they brought it down. Who would be willing to pay $1,000 for a gaming system? That's a little high for any system, no matter how good.

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
Numachuka said:
OtherSideofSky said:
Now if only they would drop the price on the GO...
Why do you want a GO?
Cause as much bad press as the go has gotten, it's not a horrible system. I own one and know what, it's damn useful. Though if you wanted the price drop on the go, should've gone black friday, they were $150 almost everywhere, and considering they still come with 4 free games (LBP, Ratchet and Clank, SOCOM and something else) I think you're better off with a go than a full size.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
OtherSideofSky said:
Now if only they would drop the price on the GO...
drop the price on a console that even sony dont like? they should be giving them away.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Konata Star said:
Good thing they brought it down. Who would be willing to pay $1,000 for a gaming system? That's a little high for any system, no matter how good.
They're not talking about the NGP.

They're talking about getting rid of the old system to try to make room for the new one.

I for one don't like the move, but you can go way back to Lik Sang to show that the Sony gaming department hates gamers using Sony products. It's not getting any better with the PS3 fiasco.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Perfect timing. I've been wanting a PSP, now would be the perfect time to buy one.

Mr Binary

Jan 24, 2011
vxicepickxv said:
Konata Star said:
They're not talking about the NGP.

They're talking about getting rid of the old system to try to make room for the new one.

I for one don't like the move, but you can go way back to Lik Sang to show that the Sony gaming department hates gamers using Sony products. It's not getting any better with the PS3 fiasco.
Oh, I see where I misread it. Yeah, I do not really like move either, I wonder what type of impact that lawsuit will have on Sony if they end up losing.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
No give us a release date for the NGP.

FYI my local gamestop is already taking pre-orders for $50 on the NGP.