Halo: Reach Gets Defiant on March 15

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Halo: Reach Gets Defiant on March 15

Beware the Covenant on the Ides of March.

[video=2779]

It's been about three months since the release of the excellent Halo: Reach [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105844-Halo-Reach-Noble-Map-Pack-Overview]. This means that we're about due for another one - and right on schedule, here comes "Defiant."

The three new maps, Condemned, Unearthed and Highlands, are actually not created by Bungie itself but rather by Halo second-stringers Certain Affinity, the team responsible for the final map pack in Halo 2, as well as bonus maps for Call of Duty: World at War and Black Ops. So really, it isn't like the developers don't have experience with this sort of thing.

At least one of the maps - Unearthed - seems to be compatible with the popular "Firefight" survival mode. This should please Reach owners, since the previous Noble pack didn't have any new Firefight maps.

Defiant will be released on March 15th for 800 MS Points, or $10. Warm up your Plasma Pistol trigger finger, everyone.

(Major Nelson [http://majornelson.com/archive/2011/02/24/gears-of-war-3-beta-update-and-much-more-just-announced-long.aspx])

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Does anybody play reach?

I've literally heard nothing about it since release.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
LightspeedJack said:
WrongSprite said:
Does anybody play reach?

Reach is where it's at. Way more fun than CoD.
You make it sound like they're the only two games in the universe...

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
random_bars said:
Plasma Pistol? Pfft, are you kidding? Who uses those things?
I do! Give me a plasma pistol over the magnum any day of the week.
I was actually pleasantly surprised at how beefed up the plasma pistol was for reach. It decimates grunts and isn't all that bad against elites. In multiplayer you can pull off a solid kill with it or take down a vehicle. Kinda sad how everyone looks at it like the worst gun ever.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
WrongSprite said:
LightspeedJack said:
WrongSprite said:
Does anybody play reach?

As far as online shooters on the xbox these are the two main ones people play.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Cpu46 said:
random_bars said:
I was actually pleasantly surprised at how beefed up the plasma pistol was for reach. It decimates grunts and isn't all that bad against elites. In multiplayer you can pull off a solid kill with it or take down a vehicle. Kinda sad how everyone looks at it like the worst gun ever.
Probably because it was so terrible in Halo 3. It could stop vehicles and pop shields, but the 'noob combo' got nerfed in Halo 3 compared to Halo 2 so people gradually stopped using the weapon altogether.

Now that the plasma pistol can actually kill someone, it's getting popular again.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
LightspeedJack said:
WrongSprite said:
LightspeedJack said:
WrongSprite said:
Does anybody play reach?

As far as online shooters on the xbox these are the two main ones people play.
At least until Gears of War 3.

ZeroAE

Jun 7, 2010
Have you seen the backgrounds of the new maps! They are awesome. I mean , covenant ships glassing Reach while you fight. Wow.

Apr 28, 2008
Sweetness. The Noble maps were fantastic. Hopefully these are just as good, if not better.

WrongSprite said:
Does anybody play reach?

Plenty of us do. We just don't say anything because when we do we get flamed to hell and back.

In fact, the Halo group [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Halo-Fans] is having a game tomorrow. At 10AM Eastern US time. Come and join the fun!

/plugtastic

SamStar42

Oct 16, 2009
Great, love me some Reach. Still haven't got around to getting Noble Map Pack though so need to pick up some MS Points soon.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Cpu46 said:
random_bars said:
It's only bad in comparison to the other guns. I actually use it sometimes, it's great for taking down shields or vehicles, provided you have some other weapon in addition to the plasma pistol. I tend to use it in conjunction with a DMR or Magnum to get easier headshots.

Hawkeye16

Nov 15, 2009
WrongSprite said:
Does anybody play reach?

Thats because mentioning Halo around these parts is likely to get you mugged by the internet.