Activision Calls Modern Warfare 3 Countdown a Hoax

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Activision Calls Modern Warfare 3 Countdown a Hoax

Modern Warfare 3 might not be revealed soon after all.

When media outlets were sent dog tags that led them to a Call of Duty [http://www.findmakarov.com/] almost assuredly meant a Modern Warfare 3 announcement was incoming. According to Activision, all this dog tag, teaser website nonsense is just a hoax.

An Activision spokesperson told VG247 that findmakarov.com, which refers to Modern Warfare [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00269QLI8] foe Vladimir Makarov, doesn't have anything to do with Call of Duty. Huh?

"There seems to be a great deal of speculation about the next Call of Duty project," the spokesperson said. "Let me be clear that we are not revealing yet. Anything indicating otherwise is a hoax."

The spokesperson also said that Activision has no plans to unveil any kind of new game when the countdown clock ends. So, while Activision allegedly sent out Modern Warfare dog tags, and set up a Modern Warfare countdown site whose timer coincides with the 2011 Game Developer's Conference, Activision claims it all means nothing.

Go figure. Either Activision is lying, or we'll get a very special surprise when the timer is up.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2011/02/25/countdown-points-to-modern-warfare-3-reveal/]

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
This reminds me of when Bioware refused the existence of a Dragon Age 2 demo despite the fact that the Gamestop page for their demo was up and running and visible to everybody.

Polock

Jan 23, 2010
The only reason I would buy this would be for the single player.

And as we know ....

.... sigh.

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
Of course they're gonna make Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 3. It's just a time of when, that franchise makes way too much money to just drop.

May 5, 2010
Polock said:

And as we know ....

.... sigh.
OK, seriously. What's wrong with the single player? It's perfectly fun, and there's a hell of a lot more story/characters then the series had before the whole "Modern Warfare" thing started. Sure, it's ridiculous, but the game is still FUN.

Also, I don't buy it. The countdown's real, I'm calling it.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
They're denying it, the same way the government might deny something as well. My money says they're announcing and just saying this is a hoax in some attempt to drum up more coverage.

I mean after all doesn't the denial of the clock seem very "government-ish"?

noogai18

Feb 21, 2008
Maybe it won't be Modern Warfare 3, but that "futuristic" shooter they suggested? Although with Activision's attitude in this, if it does wind up as Modern Warfare 3, why bother denying it? It just comes across as something a 6 year old would do.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Just so everyone knows, they did this two years ago with a page went up about Modern Warfare 2. Actvision came out quickly and called it a hoax, saying that they were not working on Modern Warfare 2.

Low and behold, on that same wendsday, we got the trailer for Modern Warfare 2. Those sneaky buggers.

Anywho, I'm calling that there not saying anything because of the three days left on the clock. I pray we get to see Soap and price again.

And yes, I do believe Ghost somehow survived with hideous burns now under a new badass mask :3

EDIT; just remembered the day the clock ends is my birthday. Modern Warfare 3 trailer would be the best birthday gift ever..just sayin.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
The plot thickens...
But not really, because it'll obviously be released in November of this year. It's only a matter of time before they start talking about it.

Adam Galli

Nov 26, 2010
Activision is just a bunch of pricks. There is a well divided line amongst those who WILL and those who WILL NOT buy the game. This stupid stunt isn't gonna make some one want to buy the game.

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
Sarah Kerrigan said:
I pray we get to see Soap and price again.

And yes, I do believe Ghost somehow survived with hideous burns now under a new badass mask :3
Spoilers are there for a reason!

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Definitely not a hoax. Activision are hardly going to launch a teaser site, then as soon as someone calls them on it, say "Yup, it's Modern Warfare 3, you got us!" That'd be a waste of money and resources.

Having said that, it might not be Modern Warfare, it might have a new subtitle! GASP!

Polock

Jan 23, 2010
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Polock said:

And as we know ....

.... sigh.
OK, seriously. What's wrong with the single player? It's perfectly fun, and there's a hell of a lot more story/characters then the series had before the whole "Modern Warfare" thing started. Sure, it's ridiculous, but the game is still FUN.

Also, I don't buy it. The countdown's real, I'm calling it.
You know? You raise a point. The single player gave me many good times and I liked the challenges. I just felt it was short, and I hated in MW2 that

[/spoiler] you get betrayed and die like 3 times. It sucks and is shocking once. After that it is just annoying. I like the character I am, even if I am a wordless grunt.[/spoiler]

All in all I like the single player. The multi is fun, but I give it 5 / 10 stars. Its nothing special. Not worth a $60 price tag, though I guess that is debatable.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Natdaprat said:
Sarah Kerrigan said:
I pray we get to see Soap and price again.

Spoilers are there for a reason!
Sorry, I kinda went crazy.

But I'm sure everyone has beaten Modern Warfare 2 by now lol.