BioWare Fan Creates Gorgeous Mass Effect 2 Artwork

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
BioWare Fan Creates Gorgeous Mass Effect 2 Artwork

The pictures breathe a little life into the moments on the Normandy that the player normally never sees.

Polish artist and BioWare fan Patryk Garrett, also know by his real name of Patryk Olejniczak, has spent the last couple of months creating some absolutely amazing fan art for Mass Effect 2, which puts a more contemplative spin on the characters and delves a little deeper into their thoughts and emotions.

[gallery=144]

Garrett completed his first piece - Shepard holding Miranda in a ruined ship - in August of last year, with the intention of making it look as much like a piece of promotional art as possible. Since then, he's done another four pieces with the same intention, even going as far as to add logos and release information for Mass Effect 3.

Garrett's next piece was also of Miranda, but this time by herself on the Normandy, doing a little work on her omnitool. Apart from the game itself, Garrett said that the piece was also inspired by the movie Sunshine and the band Underworld. At the same time, Garrett was also working on a companion piece, showing a scarred Shepard trying to make an important decision.

He's also completed pictures of Garrus and Thane and has plans to paint other crewmembers. He noted, however, that each piece takes a long time to do, so it will be a while before we see them all. Garrett is hopeful that BioWare will one day see his art, like it, and ask him to come and work for the studio. I have to say, as resumes go, this one isn't bad at all.

You can see more of Garrett's work on his Deviant Art [http://patryk-garrett.deviantart.com/ ] page and his blog [http://garrettartlair.blogspot.com/ ]. Aside from Mass Effect art, he's also done work based on Aliens and Uncharted 2.

Ithera

Apr 4, 2010
Not bad...not bad at all. No surprise though, concerning his possible choice of romance.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
These pictures are spectacular. Asides from the fact the guy seems to like Miranda (nice romance choice, buddy!) and Garrus (for which alone I'd give any man a high-five) the level of skill and artistry not only in the ability to draw but convey emotion is professional grade. This man could easily qualify for the type of position he seeks, even if Bioware doesn't want him. These really look like something from their studio, he gotten the essence of the characters right. And the detail and effects on the image of thane are pretty impressive.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I really believe that if he was to submit those to Bioware they would offer him a job. My favorite art piece is the one of Thane. It looks like he is dancing but at the same time about to use his biotic powers.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
"She's a beauty!"

I like all of it. Now, if only there was a way to 1080p it D:

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Whoa... that's fan art? Bioware hire this man, now! I could have sworn I was looking at something out of their art department before reading the article.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
Hah, yet again, Poland wins.

But seriously - that's just awesome. The level of skill, the amount of work he must have put into this - he'd make a great addition to any dev team as an artist.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Woo, Poland, Poland!

Well, it's not as good as Bulletstorm, but very impressive.

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
Wallpaper'd

And just to be clear, my previous wallpaper was that awesome Citadel litho. But it's time for something new.