Japanese Hackers Get Flash Carts Working on 3DS

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Japanese Hackers Get Flash Carts Working on 3DS

Your flash cart will work on the 3DS, as long as you have the skills to hack your device and make it work.

The 3DS has only been out in Japan for a few days, but that's apparently long enough for flash cart manufacturers to hack the device and get the carts working. The cards apparently won't run 3DS games, but seems like Game Boy and DS games of all flavors, as well as homebrew content, work just fine.

There a number of videos showing various cards working; one shows Mario Kart 64 running from a flash cart, while another shows Link's Awakening running on emulation. According to one of the videos, the 3DS has a white list of DS games that will run on the device, which funnily enough doesn't include the flash carts. In order to get them to work, this white list had to be hacked, which means that it's not something that people can easily do at home.

This isn't the best of news for Nintendo, but it's something that it planned for as part of its anti-piracy efforts. Back in October [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103938-3DS-Piracy-Targeted-by-Two-Prong-Firmware-Attack], Nintendo said that as well as downloadable updates, it would be including firmware updates - which would reblock the cards - on 3DS games. It's also worth mentioning again that this isn't affecting 3DS games yet, and there's no way of telling when, or if, it will.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/3ds-already-hacked-for-r4-use-195125.phtml]

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Damn you hackers. Ruining everything for everyone else.

Go a head and hack the system all you want, but unless you're doing something revolutionary, like getting the Kinect to perform actual, real-life surgery or something like, keep it to yourself.

These selfish, "memememememememe" hacks only serve to make the rest of us suffer when developers and publishers have to try and stop them.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
"downloadable updates"

Turn 3DS wifi off = problem solved.

No that's being silly.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
Paragon Fury said:
Damn you hackers. Ruining everything for everyone else.

Go a head and hack the system all you want, but unless you're doing something revolutionary, like getting the Kinect to perform actual, real-life surgery or something like, keep it to yourself.

These selfish, "memememememememe" hacks only serve to make the rest of us suffer when developers and publishers have to try and stop them.
I think this is going to run into the same situation Sony has with people wanting to "jailbreak" their Playstation 3. Personally I don't see anything wrong with getting an R4 to work on the 3DS since that could allow homebrew games made available, but I recognize that getting an R4 to work on the 3DS could lead people to suspect that piracy will ruin the console.

Plus, I'm sure Nintendo taunted hackers when stating that "the age of piracy of almost over."

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
I just read somewhere (thouhg it did not have sources, so only take this as rumor for now), that the lack of protection on the 3DS is actually a trap, and Nintendo knows when you hack the console; rather, the console actually records the number of times it's been cracked, and can send that info to Nintendo, so that they can basically contact you to tell you to cut that shit out (with a presumable "or else" following).

If it is true, it won't last long, though it is a clever ruse.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Sir Ollie said:
"downloadable updates"

No that's being silly.
Back in October, Nintendo said that as well as downloadable updates, it would be including firmware updates - which would reblock the cards - on 3DS games.
I think that answers itself. :p

OT: Um... yeah. Not sure what to say...

W00t for potential homebrew. :p

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Had a déjà vu moment there, until I realized that I read about it on another site yesterday.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
well i would say that this is good so people can play the old Nintendo games, but with Nintendo's track record they are going to rerererererelease their entire library onto the 3ds anyway.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Mstrswrd said:
I just read somewhere (thouhg it did not have sources, so only take this as rumor for now), that the lack of protection on the 3DS is actually a trap, and Nintendo knows when you hack the console; rather, the console actually records the number of times it's been cracked, and can send that info to Nintendo, so that they can basically contact you to tell you to cut that shit out (with a presumable "or else" following).

I just read somewhere (though it did not have sources, so only take this as a rumor for now), that every 3DS contains a ghost that will slowly corrupt your memories until you become convinced that you *are* the 3DS, at which point it will seal your soul inside the console and take control of your body.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Sir Ollie said:
"downloadable updates"

No that's being silly.
Back in October, Nintendo said that as well as downloadable updates, it would be including firmware updates - which would reblock the cards - on 3DS games.

OT: Um... yeah. Not sure what to say...

W00t for... I dunno what to w00t for. :/
W00t for life... and um... Stuff! W00t for stuff!

Just goes to show, if you build it, they will hack. Does Nintendo not have better security? Seriously...

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
LegendaryGamer0 said:

Means nothing once they hack the 3DS games. They will just remove the updates like all the Wii games.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
Sir Ollie said:
"downloadable updates"

No that's being silly.
What about games which require the updates to work? or install the updates off the cartridge when played?

Not that hard to implement firmware updates.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
tk1989 said:
Sir Ollie said:
"downloadable updates"

No that's being silly.
What about games which require the updates to work? or install the updates off the cartridge when played?

Not that hard to implement firmware updates.
Custom firmware normally helps.

Mstrswrd

Mar 2, 2008
mireko said:
Mstrswrd said:

I just read somewhere (though it did not have sources, so only take this as a rumor for now), that every 3DS contains a ghost that will slowly corrupt your memories until you become convinced that you *are* the 3DS, at which point it will seal your soul inside the console and take control of your body.

Haha. Very funny (no, really, I actually lol'ed a fair bit). I got that info from Sankakucomplex (very NSFW, by the way), but they didn't post their sourse. Surprisingly enough, while they tend to be incredibly opinionated (which is kinda the point with them), they also tend to be fairly accurate. I just didn't say where because, as I said, they didn't have a source this time, and, more than that, the site is, as stated, very NSFW, so I didn't want to link that again after so recently linking people there for something else (I figure they don't need to see some of that crap again).

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Sir Ollie said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Means nothing once they hack the 3DS games. They will just remove the updates like all the Wii games.
But, I was just saying that it wasn't as simple as not having the 3DS download the updates. :/

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Mstrswrd said:
Haha. Very funny (no, really, I actually lol'ed a fair bit). I got that info from Sankakucomplex (very NSFW, by the way), but they didn't post their sourse. Surprisingly enough, while they tend to be incredibly opinionated (which is kinda the point with them), they also tend to be fairly accurate. I just didn't say where because, as I said, they didn't have a source this time, and, more than that, the site is, as stated, very NSFW, so I didn't want to link that again after so recently linking people there for something else (I figure they don't need to see some of that crap again).
Yeah, it's kind of interesting to have a news site that will post something about an upcoming game one day and a gallery of um, differently endowed women getting acquainted with servile young men the other.

Kind of weird, but interesting.

Still, hadn't heard about that. Did they give any suggestions as to how something like that would work? Wouldn't it need to be completely separate from the firmware?

Mstrswrd

Mar 2, 2008
mireko said:
Mstrswrd said:
Yeah, it's kind of interesting to have a news site that will post something about an upcoming game one day and a gallery of um, differently endowed women getting acquainted with servile young men the other.

Kind of weird, but interesting.

Still, hadn't heard about that. Did they give any suggestions as to how something like that would work? Wouldn't it need to be completely separate from the firmware?
Nah, they didn't say specifically; all they did say is as follows;

"Reportedly, the 3DS?s application history irrevocably records the usage of cracks, allowing Nintendo to potentially phone home with the incriminating data at a future time, or at the very least refuse to honour the warranty if the tainted unit is returned ? at least until this mechanism too is cracked."

Here's the article in full, and, as previously stated, VERY NSFW.
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2011/02/28/3ds-only-sells-370000/