Robocop Wants Detroit to Build Robocop Statue

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Robocop Wants Detroit to Build Robocop Statue

[funnyordie=521706ecf7]​

Dead or alive, you will build that statue!

It's become common knowledge that, after their mayor <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.263539-Detroit-Mayor-Refuses-to-Build-RoboCop-Statue>refused to build a Robocop statue, the concerned citizens of Detroit decided that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107824-Angry-Detroit-Citizens-Fund-RoboCop-Statue>they'd just raise the funds themselves. Now, the project has a new supporter: Peter Weller, AKA Alex Murphy AKA Robocop himself.

Peter Weller recently made the included video as an exclusive for humor site Funny Or Die, and he manages to provide a pretty goofy monologue that makes fun of the whole campaign while simultaneously throwing some support behind it. Amongst other points, Weller mentions how Detroit's Mayor David Bing dismissed the idea as "silly."

"Was it silly when Murphy sacrificed his very identity to fight crime?" Weller asked. "Was it silly when Murphy cleaned up drugs in Detroit and saved the city from being demolished? Was it silly when Murphy battled the super robot Kane, tore out his brain with his bare hands? All you could see was his spinal cord and Kane was sitting there screaming AUUGGGGH? I don't find it silly at all."

We don't find it silly, either, Buckaroo Banzai. Though you singing along to Aretha Franklin's "Respect"? Kinda silly.

Source: <a href=http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/521706ecf7/robocop-speaks-to-detroit?rel=player>Funny Or Die via <a href=http://io9.com/#!5772374/the-real-robocop-peter-weller-addresses-the-citizens-of-detroit>io9

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
I found that very silly, and very amusing. This is exactly the type of comedy I enjoy, and I would love it if that statue idea came to fruition. Yay Robocop!

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
Outside of the Respect sing-a-long this was pretty funny. Also, Peter Weller may be insane.

ROBOCOP FOR LIFE!

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I was about to consider this the first legitimately funny thing to come out of Funny or Die. Then I saw Peter Weller's awkward shenanigans during "Respect." Congratulations, those of you at Funny or Die, you fail magnificently at creating the type of video your very title boasts.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
I just love Robo

and this video is amazingly epic and cool!

i wonder how much more time untill someone takes a dead cop and makes him an android...

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Looks like the statue is all but built now.

Sorry if the pictures big. Can't do much on the phone to fix that x_x

Verrenxnon

Nov 17, 2009
This would be interesting and pertinent if Robocop had actually been filmed in Detroit, instead of Dallas.

Considering the crisis facing Michigan's Film Insentives Program (thank you, Governor Snyder) a statue like this based on a prominent filmed-in-Michigan movie would be one hell of a rallying point.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I don't think there's a word to describe how happy I am right now.

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
vansau said:
...he manages to provide a pretty goofy monologue that simultaneously makes fun of the whole campaign while simultaneously throwing some support behind it.
That was quite simultaneous, simultaneously! (At the same time.)

flaviok79

Feb 22, 2011
I admire Peter Weller greatly. Not only he played a dificult character and made it a great one, boasting Robocop as a movie to greatness, instead of being just another sci-fi junk, but he also got his PhD and became a respected scholar. And also he was engaged to Sela Ward, which is awesome. Go forth, Dr. Weller, spread the word!

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
Eri said:
Looks like the statue is all but built now.

Sorry if the pictures big. Can't do much on the phone to fix that x_x
UMMMM can we take that money and give it to the Detroit schools? I'm sure Robocop would understand he loves kids.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
That was epic. And coincidental, since I'd just finished the third film yesterday, having watched the first two just last week!