Nintendo Boss Breaks Silence Over NGP

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Nintendo Boss Breaks Silence Over NGP

Satoru Iwata is worried that Sony isn't doing enough to show how the NGP is different from a smart phone.

Despite his fears about being misquoted or mistranslated [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107372-Nintendo-Boss-Keeping-NGP-Thoughts-to-Himself ], Iwata has shared some of his thoughts about Sony's upcoming handheld with the Asahi Shimbun [http://www.asahi.com/business/update/0227/OSK201102270082.html] newspaper in Japan. He expressed concerns about a number of possible missteps that Sony could make with the device, which he feels might hinder its success.

Iwata's first concern is that having to pay a subscription fee in order to use the devices 3G functions will diminish the device's appeal. Perhaps more importantly however, he implied that developers for the NGP don't seem to be doing enough to differentiate NGP content from what you might find on the iPhone or iPad. Iwata said that it would be difficult to convince people of the value of the more expensive content available on the NGP or 3DS if developers weren't offering people something that they couldn't get on a smart phone.

Iwata's concerns are certainly valid, but with so long to go before the NGP comes out and so much information that we don't have yet, it's a little too early to start second guessing what Sony might do with the device. The handheld might be bristling with touch pads, and the games we've seen so far use them a lot, but with its powerful graphics hardware and dedicated gaming controls, there's plenty it will be able to do that an iPhone can't.

If Sony did try and play Apple at their own game, it would almost certainly lose, but it's hard to believe that the company is stupid enough to do that. When we do eventually see the marketing engine spring to life for the NGP, it seems much more likely that Sony will play up the NGPs hardcore gaming credentials and not how well it apes the iPhone.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/03/01/iwata_on_3ds_mario_and_sales/]

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Ya I had similar concerns about the content I had seen announced for the NGP. I just hope we don't get dumb down ports of PS3 games in droves. As for Apps, they'll just throw those into the PSN so at least they won't have to build a new system for that. I guess we can only really wait and see.

Well, wait, see, draw battle lines in the sand, and shout insults between the 3DS and NGP camps.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
It's a valid concern, they should definitely market this thing towards gamers moreso than the casual market because there's no way it could compete with the iPhone. I had no doubt's that they wouldn't already though.

I don't think we've heard enough about the PSP2 to know which direction Sony wants to take it.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I can't help but think that maybe it's worthwhile listening to head of a company that has had handheld supremacy for 20+ years. The fact is, this is a product that is only going to appeal to the gamer crowd, so they should probably worry about that first and foremost.

Edit: Is this just going to be another system that releases more remakes? Unfortunately, some of the best material on PSP was remade or ported. It would be a shame to see such a waste.

EonEire

Feb 7, 2008
I was stung so badly with my PSP GO! purchase that as far as I'm concerned anything with PSP on it can rot.

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
What the PSP lacked for most of its lifetime was a lack of content. With PlayStation Suite being what its supposed to be, it should have loads of content.

And if remakes add to that content, so be it. If there is a Call of Duty game on NGP, you can bet it'll be like selling water to those stranded in the desert.

Wolfy4226

Sep 22, 2009
DAMN....you have to have some balls to not only be concerned but offer advice to a competitor about how they can make their product better. O-o Well Played sir.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Sony's bigger blunder is the Xperia Play. Wtf is the point of it? It's just your average android phone (made by Ericson, which blows) with pop-out area with touch-circles and some buttons.

Adam28

Feb 28, 2011
For me, the only way NGP could possibly compete with the 3DS is if it offers console quality games, similar to those of the PS3. I got to play the 3DS and was pretty amazed at how well the 3D is, that along with the quality games announced seems enough to make me want one.

Early days though I guess.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
I already have an iPad, i don't need this. I've also had a PSP and regular DS for years and both of them still work fine. I think i can survive without the NGP. (or even really the 3DS)

Sony is going to have to pull out something special if it wants to offer consumers something they can't get on the app store or a smart phone. So far, i'm not seeing it.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
shaboinkin said:
Hmmm...NGP...N...N-Gage...portable?

...oh my god
No! NO! Do not go there! BAD! Bad thoughts! Be ashamed!

It has a second thumb stick dude...

I love how Nintendo is like "Go into the APP market.... fight Apple head on... DOOOOOO IIIIIIT"

SONY knows better than that Nintendo

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Sony trying to compete with Apple
If we talk purely about how they are being marketed, it seems like the 3DS is trying to match the douchiness of most Apple commercials.

http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-3ds-commercial-doubles-down-on-douchiness-194983.phtml (can't find the video on youtube to imbed it here, sorry)

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Smart phone games pretty much suck. Mainly because they are not powerful enough to run good games. If this is going to have the hardware to play good games. It must be expensive.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
jboking said:
Sony trying to compete with Apple
If we talk purely about how they are being marketed, it seems like the 3DS is trying to match the douchiness of most Apple commercials.

http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-3ds-commercial-doubles-down-on-douchiness-194983.phtml (can't find the video on youtube to imbed it here, sorry)
I agree with you there after seeing the video. Gotta love the fact that it's a whole bunch of hipsters and business people using it in the commercial. Nintendo has had a harder time marketing the 3DS' ability to do it's glasses free 3D so I guess it's going to have to go with this crap to attract NA sales.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
If Sony did try and play Apple at their own game, it would almost certainly lose, but it's hard to believe that the company is stupid enough to do that. When we do eventually see the marketing engine spring to life for the NGP, it seems much more likely that Sony will play up the NGPs hardcore gaming credentials and not how well it apes the iPhone.
Never underestimate the pigheadedness of Sony. It took them a few years to stop swinging their collective ego around when the PS3 launched, and it took even longer for them to address the serious complaints people had with the PSP.

Right now, they're trying to impress people with the tech of the NGP rather than its (potential) titles. As a gamer, that doesn't particularly appeal to me, though I could see the appeal if one used it as an off-brand Internet-enabled PDA or smart phone (because that's the tech on display).

So I actually do agree with Iwata there, at least based on how the NGP has been marketed/discussed so far.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Honestly, It's looking more like a smart phone than a hand held. I hope sony gets back to the games soon.

It seems to me that it's going to be a bit of a tossup as to 3DS vs NGP(which still doesn't have a name) as to which will do better.

The 3DS has made no glasses 3D a reality, which scores major points with me, however, the 3DS launch lineup has me concerned. There's noting launching with the 3DS that I really want to play.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
First of all... there's a subscription fee?! Yeah I can tell you right now that I'm seriously getting turned off of this console just for that reason. I was already leaning towards getting a 3DS in this handheld generation (mostly because I haven't owned a Nintendo handheld since Gameboy Color and if it's backwards-compatible then all the better).

Second of all, I wouldn't put it past Sony to make a stupid mistake like trying to compete with Apple on its own market. Sony (as well as Microsoft) tried competing with Wii in its own market and is slowly failing constantly. It's costing the company millions of dollars because instead of trying to go for the hardcore audience they're trying to win the Wii's audience.