Harmonix Has High Hopes for Rock Band and Beyond

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Harmonix Has High Hopes for Rock Band and Beyond

Harmonix CEO Alex Rigopulos says the studio still has faith in the long-term viability of the Rock Band [http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Band-3-Xbox-360/dp/B003RS8HG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299003930&sr=8-1] franchise but has some pretty big plans for the motion gaming arena as well.

The music game genre has all but collapsed in recent months. Weak sales of sold [http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Hero-Warriors-Bundle-Xbox-360/dp/B003N65DFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299003960&sr=8-1] by parent company Viacom for a pack of smokes and a half-tank of gas after Rock Band 3 tanked. It would seem like a bad time to be a music-focused studio, but Rigopulos has high hopes for the genre and beyond.

In an interview with Rock Band 2 [http://www.next-gen.biz/features/interview-alex-rigopulos-0?page=0%2C0] and Guitar Hero fans. "We have long term plans to support the platform indefinitely. We have some really compelling content to come and we want to nurture the Pro functionality," he said. "So while the sales were somewhat disappointing, we have a lot of faith in its future potential."

But beyond the music genre, Rigopulos said the studio has a "high degree of creative energy" focused on motion gaming, which it's already broken into with the successful release of Dance Central [http://www.amazon.com/Dance-Central-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0HBOI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299004106&sr=8-2] for Kinect. "Historically our focus has been almost exclusively on music games. Dance Central is a bridge from music gaming into motion gaming, we've developed both a competency and preoccupation with the creative potential of motion gaming, and it's safe to say you'll see a lot more in that domain from Harmonix beyond Dance Central," he continued. "I think there's staggering creative potential that's largely unexplored."

He also dismissed talk that the studio was in need of "rescuing" once its relationship with Viacom fell apart. "This is an incredible time at Harmonix and it's incredibly invigorating - it's a new beginning and a new chapter in our lives," he said. "We've made some very painful adjustments but we'll get the Rock Band business to a much healthier place, we have an incredible new franchise in Dance Central, and right now there's just a cauldron of creativity here in terms of new IP. So I guess my point is that, in a certain sense, Harmonix has never been in a better place than it's in right now."

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
I have no desire for motion control gaming, but I do hope Harmonix can continue with thier instrument controllered games cause I'm not tired of them yet, damn it.

And with my beloved Guitar Hero gone... Harmonix, I wish you guys all the best. I really do.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm never going to see Rock Band: Japan, am I? I'm going to have a better chance of Dance Central: Hatsune Edition (which I would still get, though somewhat grudgingly)

zombi2989

Fred-O
Oct 17, 2008
I've been kind of worried about Harmonix with all this recent news. I've been a big fan ever since "Frequency". It's good to hear that they're still confident and productive.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
zombi2989 said:
I've been kind of worried about Harmonix with all this recent news. I've been a big fan ever since "Frequency". It's good to hear that they're still confident and productive.
Same here. I know that part (if not all) of the reason for RB3's commercial failure (it's still amazing whether it sells or not) was due to the over-saturation of the market thanks to Activision's 40th GH game, Powergig, Rock Revolution, etc.

I don't know if anyone's noticed, but there's now like 8 dance games for the Kinect, and that's been out for what, 4 months? I worry that DC will eventually be buried under piles of samey shit as well.

"Never been in a better place than right now?" I don't know what you're smoking Harmonix, but it must be some grade-A stuff.

BadgeMan

May 21, 2009
For now all rock band needs is DLC to keep it ticking as the core game is nigh on perfect. It's awesome to see they are still positive even with the lay offs and the over saturation and collapse of the rhythm gaming market.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
BadgeMan said:
For now all rock band needs is DLC to keep it ticking as the core game is nigh on perfect. It's awesome to see they are still positive even with the lay offs and the over saturation and collapse of the rhythm gaming market.
This, exactly. Add that to the fact that people will probably pick up the individual pieces for RB3 one at a time (first the game disc, then the Pro guitar, then the other, then the drums and the keyboard so they can have "the full set"(at least, that's how I think it'd go)) and I think eventually RB3 will become as common as the first two.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
I think you need to leave rock band alone for a little bit except for DLC and continue to innovate. Dance Central is a step in the right direction but since I don't have a Kinect I cant use it. Harmonix needs a new direction in the music genre preferably one that is affordable. I'd really hate to see Harmonix go under just because Rock Band is a sinking ship that they refuse to abandon.