Rumor: Gordon Brown Denied Steve Jobs a Knighthood

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Rumor: Gordon Brown Denied Steve Jobs a Knighthood

If rumor is to be believed, the former Prime Minister of the U.K. personally interfered to prevent Steve Jobs from being knighted after he wouldn't speak at a political conference.

Steve Jobs has received a number of awards for his work with Apple, but -unlike Microsoft's Bill Gates- he has yet to receive an honorary knighthood from the Queen of England. However, Jobs was considered for the honor back in 2009, but newly-circulating whispers are implying that then-Prime Minister Gordon Brown personally intervened to deny Jobs the title.

According to The Telegraph, a former senior MP (Member of Parliament) for the Labour Party (of which Brown is a member) is claiming that Jobs irked Brown's ire because he turned down an invitation to speak at party convention. The former MP, who left office after the last election, claims that Apple knew about the knighthood proposal and was in "the final stages of approval" before it was rejected by Downing Street.

The former MP was told by Downing Street that the decision was related to a failed attempt to attract Mr Jobs to Labour's annual conference. Given his status as a superstar of business and technology, such an appearance would have been viewed as a coup for Mr Brown.

Unsurprisingly, Brown isn't admitting to this behavior. A spokeswoman for Brown spoke to The Telegraph, saying "Mr Brown did not block a knighthood for Steve Jobs." She refused to comment further on the issue.

If the accusations are true, then this was pretty petty of Brown, and I personally think he owes Jobs an apology. That said, it'll be interesting to see if any evidence surfaces to support the rumors.

Source: Geek

Image from Wikipedia

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
I'm sure it's still an honor to receive an honorary knighthood, but it seems all you have to do is earn a lot money to get on these days.

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
Oh really now....

Well, ask yourself Steve Jobs...Do you really need to be a knight?

Your the HEAD of Apple...nuff said really.

Randomness: Captcha made me type Inside ofAYo

Dec 14, 2009
Psh, if David Beckham can get a Knighthood, any moron can, which is sad, because it lessens it for people who actually deserve it like, like David Attenborough and Patrick Stewart.

Why does 'Mr. Steve 'iSell shoddy crap' Jobs deserve one?

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
2 things come to mind:
1) Christ, everyone gets a knighthood if they're famous. That sucks.
2) The Telegraph suggesting that Labour has done something untoward? Well I never...

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
err excuse me, not being a dick here but what exactly has he done to earn a knighthood? Gate's charity work in Africa more then qualified him for it, frankly when you contribute more to malaria research then most first world nations it's the least they can do, however I'm unaware of Jobs doing anything like that.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
vansau said:
If the accusations are true, then this was pretty petty of Brown, and I personally think he owes Jobs an apology. That said, it'll be interesting to see if any evidence surfaces to support the rumors.
As much as I dislike Brown, Steve Jobs has not done anything deserving of a knighthood, I'm sure he's donated to charity on occasion, but he's never done anything outstanding that comes to mind, a knighthood is supposed to be a prestigious reward reserved for the best of humanity, I'm sure he's a nice chap, but he doesnt deserve to be knighted.

Daystar Clarion said:
Psh, if David Beckham can get a Knighthood, any moron can, which is sad, because it lessens it for people who actually deserve it like, like David Attenborough and Patrick Stewart.

I don't think Beckham actually got the knighthood in the end, (no mention of it on there on wikipedia) I think it was just a rumor cooked up by the daily Mail.

fire-exit-man

Standing on the Edge of Reason
Oct 6, 2010
Impluse_101 said:
Well, ask yourself Steve Jobs...Do you really need to be a knight?
This. He's a Multi-millionaire, why would he need an 'honorary knighthood'?

I do agree it is very petty if true though, but just another stupid thing Brown did (there is a rather long list after all!).

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
It's understandable.

At a time of high national unemployment, making a multi-millionaire foreigner "Lord Jobs" would have been highly inappropriate.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
knighthood is retarded. im sure it used to be an honor, but nowadays its like... pointless. when i think of a knight, i think of a dude running into battle with a sword. sure, times have changed, but it should be givin to frickin warriors, not skinny computer nerds or models or artists. imagine if england had to call on thier knights to fight for them (not going to happen for many obvious reasons so dont whine about it). imagine steve jobs going in to battle. if that image doesnt make you lol then so help me...

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
And what did Steve Jobs ever done to earn a knighthood? Unlike Bill Gates, Steve has not done anything to deserve any acknowledgement from the Queen.

Dec 14, 2009
elvor0 said:
Good. He hasn't even done anything for humanity besides make technology, sure it's good tech, but it's not like he did live 8 or anything along those lines. Knighthoods should be awarded for outstanding acts, not just being rich or popular.

Daystar Clarion said:

I don't think Beckham actually got the knighthood in the end, (no mention of it on there on wikipedia) I think it was just a rumor cooked up by the daily Mail.
He got an Order of the British Empire, but it isn't quite Knighthood level. He's an Officer, but hell, my point still stands.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_British_Empire

random_bars

Oct 2, 2010
Next week's news: "This just in: Gordon Brown enjoys fried babies on toast for breakfast." I can see it now.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
elvor0 said:
Good. He hasn't even done anything for humanity besides make technology, sure it's good tech, but it's not like he did live 8 or anything along those lines. Knighthoods should be awarded for outstanding acts, not just being rich or popular.

Daystar Clarion said:

He got an Order of the British Empire, but I don't think is what at the level of a Knighthood.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_British_Empire
Ah right, bollocks ><

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
LightspeedJack said:
Don't you have to be British to recieve a knighthood?
I think for a "real" (i.e one of the orders, there are different "levels") one you need to be a subject of the monarch, for example an Australian qualifies, we've had a few over the years, I think Canada has different rules on it actually, at least I read that somewhere.

However most anyone qualifies for an honorary, officially you have to preform some exemplary service to the world, be it in the arts or charity work or whatever, and citizenship doesn't come into it, but some of the people that have ended up with them recently make you wonder wtf is going on, it seems like they are handed out by the government to drum up publicity... I feel sorry for the Queen being asked to knight idiots like Beckham.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
Well played, my good man.
Can't have that zombifiying Apple guy be made a knight. Now let's have some tea.