Magicka Gets Vietnam Add-On (Seriously)

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Magicka Gets Vietnam Add-On (Seriously)

[video=2683]

You're in Vietnam, now, mages!

If you're even a casual RPG fan and you haven't played <a href=http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/magicka>Magicka, you should probably do yourself a favor and check it out. The action RPG is one of the goofier, gorier, strange, and decidedly entertaining titles on PCs. How strange, you ask? Well, it's getting a Vietnam add-on, so I guess the answer is "pretty dang strange."

As you can see in the trailer, the game's four mages somehow find themselves caught in the middle of the Vietnam War. They wander through the country's lush jungles, take in the scenery, and massacre soldiers with gleeful abandon, all while a variation of "Surfin' Bird" plays in the background.

According to Paradox Interactive, the game's publisher:

Have you ever wondered what it would have been like if wizards were allowed to roam the jungles of war-torn Vietnam, attempting to bring peace and stability to the region by casting spells on all opponents? Wait, you haven't ever wondered that? Ever? Okay, so we're probably the only ones who have but in our defense: here's your chance to stop being so closed-minded. Magicka: Vietnam delivers over-the-top action as players take on the role of four meek and physically inept wizards as they try to do what so many 80's action stars have done in the past: blow stuff up.

The add-on is due out at an unspecified point in the near future. In the meantime, you can check out the game's demo on Steam.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
Okay, I am getting this game at the soonest possible opportunity; this is one of the coolest and funniest things I've seen all week.

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
One phrase that only Drakk could say....
"Hell yea to the sh*t yea..."

It's only natural that they put in Vietnam...they had the M60 in there...83

Edit: I'd like to ask if we would be aided by a handsome guy who's totally not a vampire...

Agila_77

Feb 20, 2011
So...
This went to Vietnam. Awesome.

I guess the grunts now have walking Napalm. SWEET!

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
At long last. My American Dream is virtually realized: killin' commies with magic. Shame I can't actually play it.

LandoCristo

Apr 2, 2010
OH YES DO WANT!

I'd been on the fence about Magicka for a few weeks, since I played the demo, but heard that multiplayer was problematic, but now that I've seen this... I cannot stay away.

Lambi

Yuki-Onna
Oct 20, 2009
I've played Magicka now for a bit and I have to say, that is totally fudging sweet! :D

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
As someone who owns the game already, let me say that Magicka's single player gameplay ranges from unbalanced to outright broken, there are about 2 spell combos that reliably kill virtually any enemy before they can even attack, and the monster from Ski Free is one of the enemies (instant kill grab attack included).

It's a good thing none of that stops Magicka from being FUCKING AWESOME!

But yeah, I'll be looking at getting that Vietnam DLC. And finding a friend to play co-op with..

Comrade_Beric

Jacobin
May 10, 2010
That... is so awesome. (O_O)

Alright! Fine, Gawd Dammit! I'll buy your damn game. Stop trying to make my hed esplode with your awesome. There goes my gas money for the week. >_<

EDIT: How much will the addon be? If it comes for free, I'm buying the game tonight. Otherwise, I'll probably put off the purchase until I can see a final cost.