Nintendo President's GDC Keynote Liveblog

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Nintendo President's GDC Keynote Liveblog

12:47 Every version of Mario has tried to bring new features or gameplay to the table. The same will be true of the 3DS. About to announce a new Super Mario!!!!!!!

12:48 The Galaxies team is working on a Mario game for 3DS right now.

12:49 Iwata won't say what the tail in the logo indicates, but we'll learn more at E3.

12:51 We also got a glimpse of a trailer for Zelda Skyward Sword. Link is fighting stuff. Yay.

12:52 Iwata wants to conclude talking about the future. He thinks that developers have lost a sense of craftsmanship. Designers don't spend as much time as possible polishing and crafting a game until it is a work of art.

12:53 He doesn't blame designers, but rather the circumstances of budgets and publisher pressures.

12:54 The other problem that Iwata wants to overcome is developing talent. Many of the positions in game development are very specialized, artists only do art, tech only works on code. When he started, Iwata said that everyone was a generalist and able to do a wide range of role sin game development. If we become too specialized, where will the next great videogame savant come from? Seems to be an endorsement for indie development like Minecraft.

12:56 Iwata is also concerned with too many games flooding the market. He showed a graph that displayed the huge amount of games available and how its grown in the last five years. Many of these will fail, and it's becoming even harder to make a "hit."

12:57 The value of software is Nintendo's focus. That's why they don't publish games on other platforms, because they think that games made specifically for their hardware is the best way to make good games. "We are a game maker first, and a console manufacturer 2nd."

13:00 For many publishers, quantity is more important than quality.

13:01 Iwata ends by giving a few guidelines on how to break through the noise of many games. The first sequence of a game must capture attention immediately. If you dont' grab the player in the first ten minutes, then it may be already too late. If it's a strong experience, then it will also get people talking about a game. That kind of word of mouth marketing is more valuable than advertising.

13:03 All this can be summed up in one word: Innovation.

13:04 Closing Platitudes: Trust your passion; believe in your dream.

13:05 "For 25 years, game developers have been making the impossible ... possible," Iwata said.

"Why would we stop now?"

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
It also starts in like 3 mins not 30. Though this was set to be posted at 4:30 so the delay makes it a little odd

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
Chaaaaartz! and social network game discussion and talking about spiralling costs. Sigh. Iwata drop the bobomb!

edit: Iwata praises Msoft for it's online infrastructure.

double edit: Angry Kirby will haunt me the rest of my days. And 3DS talk is nice

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
3d Classic remakes confirmed on the eshop.
Just got a hint at a mario game with the tanuki suit for 3ds.

Raeil

Nov 18, 2009
As a consumer, and not a developer, this was still an excellent talk. While it's true he focused a lot on Nintendo (and there was quite a bit of advertising during one part of his talk), there was a lot to learn and I'm very happy I took the time to watch this.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
wow.... i would have loved to be there... too bad i cant leave to the US at my whim

anyway, amazing play/by/play, it must have being amazing to be there

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
I would love to see that Zelda Skyward Sword trailer.

The confrence is still going on, too.
Are you gonna update the OP as it goes on?

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
So I'm assuming the Super Mario game will be either a spiritual sequel to, or remake of, Super Mario Bros. 3. I'd prefer to see a true "next step" in sidescrolling Mario, but... well, I'll wait and see.

Jarvaelison

Mar 30, 2010
Reiterating what was already mentioned above, as a consumer and not a developer (Raeil) I enjoyed reading this paraphrased transcript. Really enjoyed where Iwata was getting at and I loved how he ended his talk. Thanks for the blog =]

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
JediMB said:
So I'm assuming the Super Mario game will be either a spiritual sequel to, or remake of, Super Mario Bros. 3. I'd prefer to see a true "next step" in sidescrolling Mario, but... well, I'll wait and see.
I immediately thought that it would be a 3D remake of SMB3. I don't see the necessity to have a sidescroller in 3D though. Maybe they'll do something like in Super Paper Mario?

It was kinda interesting. I didn't get to see it live but I read the notes in the article. I wonder if I can find that Skyward Sword trailer?

*finds it*

Awesome. Loving the art style. Also liking the fact that you can delay attacks. I hope the combat is still as fast as previous games. I can see that being a problem because of the Wii Motion+

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
New Super Mario Bros. 3DS, i called it first. :D

If you think about it, the first NSMB was mostly reminescent of the original with new concepts, NSMBWii added more things such as playing as Toad and the koopalings as bosses(could be slightly a MB2 thing), so by logic perhaps 'NSMB3DS' might attempt to blend Mario 3, Mario 64 and World together.

I wonder how an audience would take to a 3D Mario World esque title, except instead of Stars as objectives....you find exits....? (probally wouldn't work...guess the stars/shines/whatever was what made Galaxy/64/sunshine good) i mean sidescrolling with multiple exits worked on the snes, but could anyone else imagine if there was a Mario 64-type title instead of stars, there'd be exits?