Minecraft Studio Unveils New Title Called Scrolls

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Minecraft Studio Unveils New Title Called Scrolls

Mojang has finally revealed its second title, a digital card/board game mashup called Scrolls.

The second Mojang game that Marcus "Notch" Persson had hinted at [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104865-Minecraft-Developer-Working-on-New-Game] in October 2010 has been revealed. Along with the completion of Minecraft, Mojang is currently working on a digital card game with board game elements called Scrolls.

The design of Scrolls is being led by Mojang's Jakob Porser. Porser says that he and Persson had started to discuss the basic idea behind Scrolls five years ago. Now that Minecraft has incredible 16-bit mockups [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106890-Minecraft-Sells-1-000-000-Copies-in-Beta], and the backstory for Scrolls is actually being worked on by Penny Arcade's Jerry "Tycho" Holkins. I wouldn't hesitate to call that a dream team.

Porser describes Scrolls as a "strategic game with a strong foundation in tactical game play but with a touch of random and chance guaranteeing a never ending stream of curve balls." Players will assemble a deck of "scrolls," which will be similar to cards, and constantly evolve this arsenal to defeat each new opponent in anything from smaller one-and-done battles to world tournaments. Scrolls will feature both single-player and multiplayer modes, and record each player's detailed statistics.

Scrolls is played on an area similar to a chess board. Like most collectible card games, the player's goal is to reduce his/her opponent's health to zero. A proper balance of attack-based and defense-based cards will be necessary to keep a higher number in the wins column than the loss column.

After release, Mojang will release new packs of cards to keep Scrolls fresh. An online auction house is also planned so players can officially buy and sell each other's cards. Mojang is adding a neat feature where cards will start to look older the more that they're used, perhaps adding a level of prestige for longtime players.

Similar to Minecraft, there will be both alpha and beta testing phases for Scrolls that the public can get in on. However, they'll both be free. Mojang will invite certain Minecraft alpha purchasers to the Scrolls alpha, and then hold an open beta to help balance the game. This is the studio behind Minecraft here, so expect to hear a lot of new details as Scrolls continues development.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.scrolls.com/]

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
I really do enjoy minecraft and this kind of game really appeals to me. I will most certainly try and get in on the Alpha/Beta.
It might be simmilar to the MTG card game but all of the extras make it seem a little more worth it.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
and the backstory for Scrolls is actually being worked on by Penny Arcade's Jerry "Tycho" Holkins.
You mean the guy that couldn't finish his own game? Yeah.....

Edit: Wait... I thought minecraft was far away from finished.... like really really far away....

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Icehearted said:
and the backstory for Scrolls is actually being worked on by Penny Arcade's Jerry "Tycho" Holkins.
Indeed, I want more "On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness"

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Icehearted said:

Edit: Wait... I thought minecraft was far away from finished.... like really really far away....
It is. They never said they'd only release this new game once Minecraft is done. They're working on the completion of Minecraft and now on this game too.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I'll pass, but it is nice to see that Mojang is branching out (and working with other talented people).

Wolf Devastator

Doomsday Arcade Fanatic
Nov 12, 2008
I love it, I've always wanted to get into one of these types of card games, even thought of making my own one day.

It looks like they are doing everything right and I can't wait to play alpha!

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
I'm intrigued. I love minecraft and am excited to see the company working on a second title completely different from the first. This is the sort of thing the games industry needs.

Frylock72

Dec 7, 2009
This is a game I can get behind. I expect to have quite a bit of fun once Scrolls comes out.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Notch commented in the documentary that's being made about them that the new game would be hated by Minecraft players.

He's nuts, that there is a great idea that I can see myself purchasing.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
Wait, he's making a Yu-gi-oh/Magic game? I hope he gets sued. There's taking elements from a game and there is outright theft and this...Bwaaaahahaha sorry, I couldn't finish that. None of the FortressCraft haters will have a problem with this even though Notch is doing to CCGs on the PC what FC is doing to Minecraft.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I can see myself loosing hours of my life to that game, not that I would mine.

Lancer723

Dec 12, 2008
So that's what Notch has been doing instead of making new stuff for minecraft. Other than beds...