Fleet-Footed Gamer Beats Original Ninja Gaiden Using a Dance Pad

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Fleet-Footed Gamer Beats Original Ninja Gaiden Using a Dance Pad

If you thought Ninja Gaiden was hard with a regular controller, you should try playing it with your feet.

Nick Hagman, a 22 year old gamer from Elizabethtown, Kentucky, has completed his eight month long quest to beat the original NES Ninja Gaiden using a dance pad controller. Hagman has been playing the game off and on since June, and only completed it a few days ago.

Much like the modern Ninja Gaiden games, the original was known for its punishing difficulty. What made it even worse was that, although the player could continue after he or she had lost all of his or her lives, it would be from the beginning of the level. That's frustrating enough if you're playing with your hands, but when you're playing with your feet, it's much, much worse. As you can see from the video, after a strong start, Hagman had the misfortune to have to go back and complete the entire final level again more than once. Fortunately for him, he didn't have to restart his fight with the game's final boss, as the progress he'd made persisted throughout his multiple attempts to get back to the fight and finish him off.

This isn't the first classic NES game that Hagman has beaten in this way either; he's also danced his way through games like Castlevania 3 and Mega Man 2. If you're interested, you can see more of Hagman's videos on his YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/user/DJ17Nario#p/u] account.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/03/utter-madman-beats-ninja-gaiden-nes-using-ddr-pad/]

OmegaXIII

Jun 26, 2009
I thought i recognised the music's intro, awesome cover of 'His World'

But on topic, jesus christ, that must have been torturous!

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
His 8-month quest to finish it with a dance pad? I haven't even completed my (greater-than) 8 month quest to complete it with a regular controller. you, sir, are a ridiculous person.

Although, now that you mention it, I haven't played that game in quite a while. I think I need to go back to it. Still on the last level!

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
i feel exhausted just watching him play. must be some kind of crazy leg workout XD

way to have you're 15 minutes of fame dude ^-^

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
That is incredible!

But I guess all it takes is enough practice.

EDIT: His voice reminds me of Sonic.

-Torchedini-

Gone Bonzo
Dec 28, 2009
Sadly Madcat uses custom button layouts on their controllers which make it impossible to play gears of war on your guitar or something

But thats some determination to finish

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
In other news: Man beats Ninja Gaiden 2 with only his tongue using the controller!

But seriously, good show old bean. It'll make... quite the story to tell your grandkids someday?

Edit: Thinking about it, this is like the next step up in motion controls. Play Ninja Gaiden... like a ninja! That's right, your mad leet feet skills let you move and weave like a ninja as you play the king of all ninja titles.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I can't explain why, but I really truly hate something about this guy and I can't put my finger on it. Something about the sound of his voice or the way he goes about discussing playing the game or the fact that he would even bother. Makes me want to smack him. In the face.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
He is way too proud of himself.

zelda2fanboy said:
I can't explain why, but I really truly hate something about this guy and I can't put my finger on it.
Its the fucking: "tell everyone you know, that some guy, by the name of *whatever it is*, beats games... ON A DANCE PAD."

S_K

Nov 16, 2007
Woodsey said:
He is way too proud of himself.

zelda2fanboy said:
I can't explain why, but I really truly hate something about this guy and I can't put my finger on it.
Its the fucking: "tell everyone you know, that some guy, by the name of *whatever it is*, beats games... ON A DANCE PAD."
quoted for truth

This doesn't even strike me as a talent, more like the result of too much free time on his hands