John Romero Goes Casual - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
John Romero Goes Casual - UPDATED

Doom [http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-DOOM-Complete-Original-Consumed-PC/dp/B000UD1D0S/ref=sr_1_21?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1299174613&sr=1-21] co-creator John Romero says his years of making games for the hardcore crowd are over, and that what he wants to do is "teach the rest of the world how to play games."

There aren't too many names in the videogame industry more synonymous with hardcore gaming than John Romero. This is the man who co-created Doom and Deus Ex [http://www.amazon.com/Quake-PC/dp/B00080LSOY/ref=sr_1_18?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1299174613&sr=1-18]. But in recent years he's immersed himself in the casual market and that's where he plans to stay.

"We have satisfied hardcore gamers for decades. Now it's time for the rest of the world," Romero recently told VentureBeat [http://venturebeat.com/2011/03/03/loot-drop-banks-on-talented-game-designers-as-it-takes-on-social-gamings-giants-exclusive/]. "Our opportunity is to teach the rest of the world how to play games."

Romero's latest company is called Loot Drop [http://lootdrop.com/], an operation that also includes fellow id alumnus and frequent Romero collaborator Tom Hall, veteran game designer Brenda Brathwaite and Sir-Tech co-founder Robert Sirotek. "I've had a chance to work with John several times and I jumped at the chance to do it again," Hall said. "John's genius is seeing the next thing."

And while a lot of social games take a bad rap for shallow gameplay and a focus on emptying wallets, Romero's famous "design is law" credo is apparently still alive and well at Loot Drop. "We don't have a view of strip mining the players for cash," Romero said. "When a player gives you money, you want them to feel good about giving you that money."

Romero's most recent game was Ravenwood Fair [http://www.facebook.com/RavenwoodFair], developed for LOLApps and released last October. It was a big hit, drawing 11 million monthly average users and firing up his interest in the market; he said he wants to put out four new Loot Drop games for 2011.

UPDATE: Romero may be in the casual zone now but he made it clear on Twitter that he's not closing the door on guns and guts. In reference to a Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-03-john-romero-done-with-hardcore-gamers] headline that said he was "done" with hardcore games, he wrote, "I am not done making hardcore games, Eurogamer."

So there you go. Can Daikatana 2 be far behind?

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
that's cool, the man is redeeming himself after Daikatana, that's good with me

hope he succeeds =P

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
This John Romer character looks a lot like John Romero

On topic at least he has found peace now after that whole making you his ***** daikatana debacle

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
This summer-

John Romer.

Gordan Froman.

In, Typos.

[sub]Spelling will never the the smae.[/sub]

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
SomethingAmazing said:
mireko said:
This summer-

John Romer.

Gordan Froman.

In, Typos.

[sub]Spelling will never the the smae.[/sub]
I thought Romer was a nickname.
A nickname? Whose nickname is their full regular name with one letter missed off? that would be a rubbish nickname.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Pipotchi said:
A nickname? Whose nickname is their full regular name with one letter missed off? that would be a rubbish nickname.
Never been to a public school? That's about par for the course.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
No! Why would he do this? I was eagerly awaiting Daikatana 2. Nutbiscuits.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Did he grow his hair back? I'm pretty sure it's the source of his power. Or is that an old picture?

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
manythings said:
Pipotchi said:
Never been to a public school? That's about par for the course.
Everybody just called me by my surname.

[sub]In retrospect, it was kind of weird.[/sub]

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
I still can't believe he made Ravenwood Fair. That game has poorly spelled adverts all over Facebook, and it's made by the guy behind Doom.

This is a strange industry.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I don't know who this John Romer asshole is, but I seriously doubt he's got the stones to make anybody his *****.

John Romero, on the other hand, he's pretty cool.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
ID has 2 important people named John.
One is John Carmack, esteemed developer, coder, rocket scientist and inventor of texture streaming(which, is something all 3d games use these days) and a whole bunch of other stuff.

The other is John Romero, who's main responsibility is bitching about good games people made without his help and claiming he could make it better, which every single project where he had any input in at all since the original Doom shows he's only capable of when backed by his infinitely more competent namesake.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
megs1120 said:
John Romero's about to make Facebook his *****
Damn you. I was feeling pretty happy with myself, getting a smug smile as I clicked to comment and post something witty. But you just had to beat me to it.
OT: My first thought when I read this was a bizarre game that mixed my image of the casual gaming experience with his past games. It was called Angry Doom.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
I'll be honest

I'd love to see a Daikatana 2

I mean, it's not like the first one was any good or something like that, but it felt like it could go just dandy with a sequel

you know, kind of like Two Worlds and Two Worlds 2

but that's just me, and as far as I know, ONLY me