300 Missions Await Players of Mortal Kombat Reboot

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
300 Missions Await Players of Mortal Kombat Reboot

NetherRealm is adding plenty of content to Mortal Kombat if you want to do more than punch your friend's head off.

For NetherRealm's upcoming reboot of Mortal Kombat [http://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E1JS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299172215&sr=8-1], the ninth game in the series, the studio is adding a massive amount of content in the form of a 300 mission tower challenge. Completing these missions could be more fun than fighting up the ranks of the Outworld tournament.

Though NetherRealm senior designer Mike Birkhead says many people like Mortal Kombat because it lets friends "beat the shit out of each other and then rip their heads off," he thinks players will also enjoy the tower challenges. The 300 will start off with basic missions that train players how to mount a proper offense, defense, use a fatality, etc. As players move up the tower, the missions get more interesting.

For example, one mission puts you up against the zombie version of Goro, whose aura weakens you over time. Others involve a shooting gallery where you must use special moves against advancing enemies, throw grenades into a bucket, or fight with no arms. In addition to classic segments of "Test Your Might," "Sight," and "Strength" from previous titles, Mortal Kombat's tower adds "Test Your Luck," which introduces a slot machine with reels that determine a fight's combatants, random modifiers like "no jumping," environmental hazards, and more.

Higher up, the missions will get even more complicated, such as one that gives players control over both Scorpion and Sub Zero and has their opponent change from orange to blue. Only Scorpion can damage the orange version, while only Sub Zero can damage the blue. NetherRealm says that the last mission, "End Game," will be extremely tough and challenges anyone to complete it with a full life bar in one try. The image of the mission shows Goro and two silhouettes behind him, so it could be an endurance fight with other factors thrown in. For beating the tower, players will get a "major reward."

The Mortal Kombat series on consoles has become known for its interesting side-activities, which have included a kart-racing mode and Chess Kombat in the past. Mortal Kombat's challenge tower looks like it'll bring back the feeling of those modes but keep it all about the fight to the death.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Headless Kombat looks fantastic.

I want to see a mode with no arms, head or legs. You just mash the buttons to bleed at your opponent. First to die wins.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Good! I get bored just fighting over and over again. Hopefully this adds some hours to my play time!

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Outlaw Torn said:
Is this going to be a 'major reward' like beating hardcore mode in Fallout New Vegas?
My question too. Will it be just a achievement trophy or will it unlock something playable? Too many marketing departments think an achievement trophy is a major award.
I want to win a bowling alley or a leg lamp or something.

Muco5681

Apr 2, 2010
you know this post made me think of something what if they ported mortal combat to kinect so you had to preform fatalities with kinect...and just to make it more sweet what if when you played it with your mate you had to mimic it out on him...sure it would get fox ''news'' to go nuts but they already do it over everything anyways so why not just embrace it?

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
This sounds like it's going to be OODLES of fun! :D I love having the little things like that in games like this.

RabbiiFrystofsk

Oct 10, 2010
I thought it meant something like the movie "300" missions available, although i don't know how that would be put into mortal kombat but whatever...

Osaka117

Feb 20, 2011
That "major reward" you get for beating the tower better be a sequel to Cooking with Scorpion from Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
Finally it seems to be some creativity in this genre..
It seemed so good in fact that it actually made me want it, and no fighter game since Tekken 3 has actually made me really want it..

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
I wish they'd bring back Chess Kombat Mode. That was so awesome. It should have never been taken out from then on.

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
I also bemoan the loss of Chess Kombat. It was excellent.

Still, all the stuff announced in this vid sounds awesome.

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
300 missions, each one different? That's pretty awesome. Headless kombat made me giggle.

Marvel VS Capcom 3 is miffing me off at the moment with it's 'missions'. They just aren't fun at all, trying to perform 15 different parts of a combo and not getting the last button press perfect and having to start again...

Brazilianpeanutwar

Jul 29, 2010
I never thought i'd say it but.....I'm REALLY looking forward to this game.
I thought the franchise was milked to death and beyond saving but this has really changed my mind.
So many good games this year and so little time......

antman9000

Jun 13, 2008
i bet the "major reward" is unlocking kratos. though being from australia, i guess this is going to be added to the pile of "buy overseas". which i do most times anyway, since its usually cheaper

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Well, they seem to have a fair bit of single-player content. Now to wait and see if it actually plays well. I've been dying to see a genuinely good Mortal Kombat, and I'm really hoping this is it.