First Trailer For Tron Cartoon Hits the Grid

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
First Trailer For Tron Cartoon Hits the Grid

The world of Tron will soon have a new hero, one with the voice of a hobbit.

Disney has released the first trailer for Tron: Uprising, an animated prequel to Tron: Legacy. Uprising is a ten part series, and will air on the Disney XD channel. Unfortunately, the show doesn't start for more than a year, making this trailer a teaser in more ways than one.

There aren't many plot details in the trailer itself other than the fact that Tron is looking for a student/successor. However, previously released details about the series shed a little more light on what's going on. The show is set after Clu rebels against Flynn and takes over the grid, but before Sam arrives in Tron: Legacy. The protagonist of the show is a program called Beck, who Tron takes under his wing. Beck eventually pulls a Dread Pirate Roberts and takes on his mantle of Tron, pitting him against the show's villain, the oppressive General Tesler.

Uprising has a rather high profile voice cast. Elijah Wood, who played Frodo in the Lord of the Rings movies, will play Beck, and veteran sci-fi actor Lance Henriksen will play Tesler. Mandy Moore, Emmanuelle Chriqui and Paul Reubens will also voice characters, and Bruce Boxleitner will reprise his role as Tron.

Tron: Uprising is scheduled to begin sometime in Summer 2012.

Source: Bleeding Cool [http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/03/03/the-trailer-for-tron-uprising-is-all-a-bit-flashy]

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
I really like the animation style, it's a cool fusion of CGI and traditional.

Still, I can't believe it says "coming soon". Over a year away isn't soon =D

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
It looks pretty engaging. Like we could learn more about their world instead of comparing our world vs theirs.

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
Bruce Boxleitner has one of the sexiest voices ever; the more of that hot stuff the better!

[sub]...ahem...I am secure in my sexuality.[/sub]

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I'm diggin' the soundtrack, and I've always loved the Tron concept, so I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
As much as I'm excited for this, I hope to God they do more than just shittily remix Daft Punk's score like they did in this teaser.

Seriously, that was almost offensively bad.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It certainly look cool (the animation style look interest). I will probably check out the first episode when it's out.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Looks pretty good.

For anyone that played Tron: Evolution could that figure in the middle at 0.33 Gibson?

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Holy.

Shit.

Watching. Clearing my schedule. Torching the earth. AAGHGGHJKFDKUDYUKTSMHGM.

Must see. :p

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
int ExcitementDuration = 100;
Bool StupidlyExcited = false;
Bool TrailerWatched = True;

if TrailerWatched = True
{
StupidlyExcited = True;
ExcitementDuration = 100;
{

if(StupidlyExcited = true)
{

while ExcitementDuration > 0
{
printf "Squeee!"
ExcitementDuration -= 1;
}

}

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
IndianaJonny said:
Bruce Boxleitner has one of the sexiest voices ever; the more of that hot stuff the better!

[sub]...ahem...I am secure in my sexuality.[/sub]
I hear that occasionally... just... occasionally...

...he fights for the users.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Is Daft Punk still doing the music? Because if it isn't them someone really knows how to mimmic their style to a tee.

Also, that does look awesome and if it is only 10 parts I'd look around for a legal copy of that.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Here's to hoping they decide to actually write a sensible story that relates in some way to the original, rather than the atrocity that was Tron Legacy. I know people keep saying they were setting it up for a sequel, but it felt pretty lacking even in that department. Though this seems to be some sort of prequel, so perhaps they can fill in some backstory that way, but I'm not sure.

The art and the soundtrack look great, though the same goes for the movie, too. That's about all it had going for it.